C25K help

Options
I started a new C25K today. I felt like I was going to die at the end of time. Who has completed this? Does day 2 get easier? Should I consider stretching the 8 weeks to 16? I want to succeed at this, but worry if it's too hard, I won't be able to keep up and will fail.

Replies

• DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and I started it back in November. At the beginning I found it really hard but by the end of each week at the start I found I could push myself a little bit further than it said to. I can now run a full 5K without stopping which I still find really hard to believe. Stick with it. Its such a great feeling when you accomplish it.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through as of yesterday and when I started, I could not complete Day 1. I failed at it twice then I downloaded an interval app instead and set it for even shorter intervals than c25k starts at...like 15 seconds running to 1 min walking. The next time I went "running" I set it for 20 seconds running to 1 minute walking and did this a few times before I could even start. At this rate I think it might take me a whole year to get through the program BUT I can now run for 7-8 minutes straight and I can't believe it!! Take it at your own pace, you are doing great!
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I completed the program at the end of the year. Started in Sept., but b/c of life as a working mom and other family issues, took longer than 8 weeks. Now I'm running regularly and running my first official 5k on Sunday. It definately gets easier and take your time with it. Repeat day 1 if you need. I repeated a lot of weeks at the end but now can run 3 miles fairly easily. I'm going to start work on a 10k.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    NO IT DOES NOT GET EASIER! If it was then everybody would be doing it. But YES, YOU CAN COMPLETE it! Think positive and just take it day by day and don't be afraid to repeat days.
    I completed the program years ago when I first started running.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 and had to slow it down a bit because my calf muscle hurts. Definately stick with it, and I wouldn't push it out to 16 weeks... but with that said, you know your body and you don't want to injure yourself. There is nothing wrong with doing a week over if you feel you absolutely struggling.

I'm sharing the following information because I found it useful for me: Consider the 5 minute warm up walk your streching for the exercise. I was told not to strech while the muscles are cold, but to definately stretch after. I heard this from multiple trainers and truly believe it. If you feel like streching, walk the 5 minute warm up walk, strech a little, and then continue on with that day's exercise.

Feel free to add me as a friend, as a few of us are keeping each other motivated :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Jog as slowlyyy as possible to complete each segment. If you can slow down, you're going too fast. You can add speed later.
  • tinah1126
    tinah1126 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have completed the C25K app and LOVED it!! I ran my first 5K in June 2012 and did great! It is hard to run over 3 miles period but my breathing got better as I got further along on the app and I felt better. When I started I thought I would never be able to run 3 minutes straight and by then end I could run the full 3 miles!!! Word of advice.....once you complete it dont stop...I stopped jogging back in October because it was just to cold outside and now I am trying to get back to it and it is soooo hard...lol.... my son and I went the other night and I could only jog for about 2 minutes before I had to stop and catch my breath by walking...but I caught my breath and kept going! You can do it! Just stay positive and keep going! Good luck! You will feel so awesome when you complete it!
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It does get easier - but everyone is different and so will get better at different rates.

Right now, I'm walking-walking faster. I ran the first "speed" section once and on asphalt and ended up with bad shinsplints. So, slow and steady wins the race, right? :smile:
  • swimmommy12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am very sore this evening, but will go back at it Saturday! No giving up :)
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets easier! But there were a few weeks that I repeated... I just did not feel ready to move up to the next week. I was totally freaked out by the 20 minute run... but I did it! So can you.. I have never been a runner before I did C25K. Now I want to run a 10K!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You ROCK! I finished in February. I second and third everybody who said to go slower. You should be running as slowly as your normal walk. It takes awhile for your body to get used to the new motion. You'll automatically increase your speed when your body's ready. Also, the Couch to 5k message board here is really supportive. You might want to check them out for continual motivation as you work through the program.
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started and stopped at week 6, this makes me want to pick it up again. Thanks OP. Yes it does get a little easier. Just go at your own pace and like a previous poster said, repeat a week if you have too, until your endurance is ready for you to continue. Best of Luck!
  • AngelaM25
    Options
    Hello all! I am starting this program add me as a friend if you want..... need some accountability! Btw great feedback!
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3. The running is getting a lot harder but my body is getting more used to it. To me its mind over matter. Week 3 has 3 minutes of straight running and it's the worst 3 minutes of my life but if I can distract myself that long I feel great after. I'm running a 5k on June 1st... My first one so I know if i don't push myself I won't be ready. I also don't neccesarily go by the weeks, just doing the work outs in order
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I completed this last year and since then have completed 10K and I'm now working on improving my pace (times in my profile). The first time I completed 5K I was exhausted but now regularly run the same distance at a faster pace. It's not easy but definitely worth the effort! Keep up the good work :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about 2.5 years ago, never having run further than 5-10 minutes and that was few and far between in the first 39 years of my life. Week 1 was hard, week 2 was harder...and if you want honesty, I thought I would die in week 3 and was hoping I would die in week 4. But I was determined to finish that stupid program in 9 weeks because even though I didn't think I could...something was driving me. I don't know what happened in week 5, but an ah-ha moment or something, it started feeling more possible and I went into that 20 minute run scared to death and finished it without stopping and barely out of breath. Now, the next week was rough again, but I kept going. It took me 10 weeks because I had an ankle sprain from playing soccer that I had to rest after week 8, but I kept going and ran in my first of many 5K's about a month after finishing the program. And try to find a 5K ASAP when you are done, FYI. Since then I have done two 10K's, two 5 milers, 3 half marathons and 2 fulls...and I really think I'm just getting going as a 42 year old!
    So, don't give up, you can do a lot more than your mind puts you too, you just have to determine how big your "can't" is going to be!
  • bkirk1027
    bkirk1027 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me with knowing hope to log c25k week 2 on my log on here?
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I always logged C25K as two separate activities - one walking activity that has the total amount of time I was walking, and a running activity that had the total amount of time I was running.
  • bkirk1027
    bkirk1027 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But what do you log the running under?

33855154.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    IT DOESN'T GET EASIER - YOU GET BETTER :)