Anyone training for Spartan Race or Tough Mudder?

Options
In late June, I'll be doing the Spartan Race which is a 3+ Mile Obstacle Race similar to Tough Mudder and I was wondering if anyone else out there is training for either of these events?

http://toughmudder.com

http://www.spartanrace.com

Definitely looking for people to help push me as I train for the next while for my event! I'm quite far into my weight loss journey and now that I have an event to train for, I really wanna be able to push myself and finding more people out there doing the same would be great!

Please feel free to add me! :3

Or feel free to discuss your thoughts on these events, and maybe some training tips to help myself and others along!

Replies

• SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Rebel Race, a 5k mud run. Our race date is 5/18. I've started c25k and I'm working out with kettlebells. My diet is ok, until my kids go to bed, then I snack. Most of my snacks don't make it to my food diary. Add me if you want a training partner.
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Im going to do a Tough Mudder June 1st. So looking forward to it. Starting last year I did a round of P90X, then Insanity, and have a few days left of Combat. Going to do one more month of Combat since I LOVE the results Im getting. but then Im going to start running more and going thru the suggested workout routine for the last month prior. I know Combat is making me much stronger as well as fitter. So I think I should be able to hold my own.....but help/encouragement are NEEDED!
  • jesmarie423
    Options
    Hey Girl! Doing my first Spartan on April 13 and possibly signing up for the tough mudder in October. I'm a member of a bootcamp but am trying to run 3 miles 3x per week to get ready.What are you doing to prepare?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for a Spartan Race. Assuming its the 3 Mile version, you shouldn't have the training concerns that a longer event brings.

The TM courses are typically 9-12 miles long, which I believe is a similar distance to the Spartan Beast events. You can get an idea of suggested workouts on the TM site.

As an old guy who did his first TM in Vermont last summer, here's my two cents:

If you're doing an event in a hilly location, you'd do well to focus your training on hills, hills, hills. Body strength work is helpful for the obstacles, but the ability to grind out a long cardio workout over steep hills is the key IMO.

The other factor is your mental preparation, particularly if you decide to do a TM or longer Spartan race. Just know that you're in for several hours of "discomfort" :) I know that sounds like a fairly obvious statement, but there were dozens of people on the course who were struggling at the 3 mile mark and they were facing another 7 miles (2 hours) of fun on the TM course.

With that said, I'm sure you'll kick some serious butt if you train. Having an event on the calendar certainly helped me focus my training and sounds like your "in the zone" already Congrats on putting the event on your calendar. Look forward to seeing a success post after the race.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been training for Tough Mudder since last year and am registered for August. Doubt I'll be running it. Good to know about the hill walking, I'm hill walking every weekend atm in preparation to climb Ben Nevis 3 weeks before.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    In late June, I'll be doing the Spartan Race which is a 3+ Mile Obstacle Race similar to Tough Mudder and I was wondering if anyone else out there is training for either of these events?

http://toughmudder.com

http://www.spartanrace.com

Definitely looking for people to help push me as I train for the next while for my event! I'm quite far into my weight loss journey and now that I have an event to train for, I really wanna be able to push myself and finding more people out there doing the same would be great!

Please feel free to add me! :3

Or feel free to discuss your thoughts on these events, and maybe some training tips to help myself and others along!

Im doing a spartan sprint in August. I cant wait. Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • mjm9003
    mjm9003 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first Tough Mudder in May in Chicago. There's something like 15 people on the team but I only know 3 of them :) We've been increasing strength training and cardio for about 6 months. For the past 3, we've been doing a combo of the program on the official website and some YouTube videos. Throw in some running and random cardio (swimming, stair master, arm cycle, rowing). Thanks for the tips, djproulx. Have fun!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    We all did the warrior dash last September. It turned out that it was at a ski resort and in addition to the obstacles we had to run up and down double diamond slopes (or whatever they are called, I don't ski).

This year we are doing the Warrior Dash again and we're doing the tough mudder later in the summer and then our first 1/2 marathon in the fall.

I am most worried about the 1/2 marathon because I'll be running the entire thing, there will be plenty of time to slow down during the TM.

Good luck.
  • nnelson33
    nnelson33 Posts: 101
    Options
    I currently have a stress fracture, and am dreaming of running again.

Looked up the training programs for a Tough Mudder and I qualified as a "Maybe Mudder." I would love to hear everyone's experiences training and actual race day.

In one's opinion, how far should I be able to run? A 1/2 marathon first?
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Getting ready for my first 5K mud run in June.
    You're welcome to add me.
    I'm currently finishing up the C25K and going to start the Tough Mudder training program.

:)
    Happy training!