No carbs?

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Zero carbs is next to impossible, and I don't know anyone who has ever managed that. Low carb, or slow carb, works well for many people, altho it isn't right for everyone either.
    I have lost 39 lbs since Aug on a higher healthy fat and protein plan, with keeping my overall carbs under 75, and 'net carbs' between 30 and 50g per day.

I have PCOS, carry all my extra weight in my belly, and have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes. I am 'carb sensitive', so this plan works well for me. I also have an inflammatory arthritis and spinal cord condition, and cutting out most grains and processed sugars helps keep my pain and inflammation down.
    I also don't have the water fluctuations, and mood swings.

So as for the health benefits, it works for me.

As for it helping with my weight loss, lower simple carbs, and higher proteins and healthy fats keeps me from having cravings, and keeps me feeling satisfied and energized so that I can easily stay under the calorie level that I need to be at to continue losing 1 pound per week at this point. I eat lots of high fiber, non starch veggies and some fruit daily.

For me, this isn't just a diet where I cut the carbs til I lose the weight then go back to eating them afterwards.
    This is the way that I will eat for life, to be healthy. When I move to maintenance, I will simply not be eating at a deficit anymore.
  • JAStoken
    JAStoken Posts: 3
    Options
    Because everyone's body is different there is no difinitive "right" diet. I am on Atkins. Low carb is NOT a fad, it is a science and when researched and done correctly it is effective and very healthy. Just eating right is not good enough for many people. I am one of those people. Eating low carb is a life style, not a diet. The idea behind low carb is that it boosts your metabolism and regulates glucose for those that have damaged their metabolism through improper eating and chronic dieting. It can also be a life saver for diabetics and pre-diabetics. Also, to address a previous post, your body does NOT need carbs, it needs the nurtrients that can come from carb rich foods. However, this can be fixed by taking healthy supplements. You can live on a diet free from carbs but you probably wouldn't want to. Personally I love the life style and it suits me well. It's also helped me regulate my sugar and insulin issues. It's also teaching me which foods I can and cannot eat and still lose weight and/or maintain a healthy weight. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    No carb would basically mean eating only meat and egg whites.

Low carb diets have a very poor long term success rate, because most people just can't eat like that for the rest of their lives.

That being said, there is a lot of research to support the idea that we should be eating, at the very least, healthier carbs (ie, whole grains, veggies and fruit) and probably fewer of them than the average American diet.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The idea behind low carb is that it boosts your metabolism .

Muscle mass increases your metabolism.. less carbs doesn't.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    No carbs at all would be sooo hard to do as most veggies and fruits have some amount of carbs.

However, I've had great success removing processed foods like bread and pasta from my diet (I'll eat only one or two servings of those a week, such as on family pizza or spaghetti night).

Watching your sugar intake will help a lot too (so limit processed sugars, i.e. cookies, candy,etc. and stick with low to moderate amounts of fruit).

By limiting carbs and eating more fats, I notice I don't have as many cravings and I stay full longer between meals and snacks.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    <
    This gal right here is enjoying her post lifting meal: a plate full of pancakes ringing in with 150g carbs and 726 calories. :love:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Because everyone's body is different there is no difinitive "right" diet. I am on Atkins. Low carb is NOT a fad, it is a science and when researched and done correctly it is effective and very healthy. Just eating right is not good enough for many people. I am one of those people. Eating low carb is a life style, not a diet. The idea behind low carb is that it boosts your metabolism and regulates glucose for those that have damaged their metabolism through improper eating and chronic dieting. It can also be a life saver for diabetics and pre-diabetics. Also, to address a previous post, your body does NOT need carbs, it needs the nurtrients that can come from carb rich foods. However, this can be fixed by taking healthy supplements. You can live on a diet free from carbs but you probably wouldn't want to. Personally I love the life style and it suits me well. It's also helped me regulate my sugar and insulin issues. It's also teaching me which foods I can and cannot eat and still lose weight and/or maintain a healthy weight. :)

You can eat carbs and still lose weight.... removing carbs does not rehab your metabolism from a ridiculous calorie deficit over a sustained period of time... and it does not boost your metabolism as already pointed out a few posts above mine.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes. We all know we can eat carbs and lose wight. You can stop beating that dead horse.

Low carb is not a gimmick. It's a useful diet. It was my savior and is for many many others were a carbohydrate based diet failed them or when they had failed the diet. It's also incredibly useful for obese people.

There is MORE to diet than just counting calories. Hormones are a huge part of how we feel while on a diet. How we each individually behave around certain foods is just as important than the caloric load. It's not faddish. The worst you can do is try and find out how you feel.

Give it a month and see. The first couple of days to a week can be a little difficult at first, but getting over it can pay dividends in weight loss, body composition improvements, the feeling of well being and the unlimited energy. Often times obese people who have had serious over eating problems have said that low carb / keto basically flipped a switch and they no longer have the problem. I know I was one of them after having failed many other diets.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how so many people think eliminating carbs from their diet is a good idea. Wouldn't a good macro balance be much more beneficial for you fitness and goals than these crazy carbless diets?

haha, corrected, yes crabs are bad!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how so many people think eliminating crabs from their diet is a good idea. Wouldn't a good macro balance be much more beneficial for you fitness and goals than these crazy carbless diets?

Crabs ARE bad... ;-)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have lost 200 pounds without going low carb as like carbs too much (particularly white bread rice and pasta) and have managed nearly 2 years so far. I am eating more now than last year but nothing like I was.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how so many people think eliminating crabs from their diet is a good idea. Wouldn't a good macro balance be much more beneficial for you fitness and goals than these crazy carbless diets?

There is plenty of good information out there on how low carb can benefit people who have had issues with diet compliance. Google is your friend.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The only way I could take losing weight seriously was not to buy what tempted me in the first place. That includes lots of carb rich foods. I would have given up if I hadn't done it.
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is a "Low Carber Daily Forumns" group you could join, to hear their stories.
  • JAStoken
    JAStoken Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, muscle mass increases your metabolism but if your metabolism is in the toilet so to speak then restricting carbs, which your body burns first, and forcing it to burn fat will boost your metabolism. Strength training is always recommended, on a diet or not.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bad idea. not only will you have no energy to work out and exercise but your body NEEDS carbs to fuel your workouts. Also, you can't rid yourself of carbs your entire life, so cutting them out now is short term. the moment you start adding them back in it will backfire. learn to eat GOOD CARBS, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Okay I read through all of the post here and never had any clue how controversial the subject was... Currently I'm coming off of month that was bad I have reduced my carb intake to around 20 grams a day... no carb would be near impossible.... That being said I was better on a typically I keep my carbohydrate intake at around 40 percent of the MFP recommended amount ...for me that is livable extremely low carb is not long term... All I can suggest is fine the diet that works for you find 1 that you can live with the rest of your life and you will succeed.... Good luck to you
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was put on a no carb diet years ago from my doctor. I lost 40lbs and got horribly sick. I will never do that ever again, I gained all the weight back as soon as I started eating food with carbs in it. Now I eat lots of veggies fruits and protein, I feel satisfied and lost 23lbs.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, muscle mass increases your metabolism but if your metabolism is in the toilet so to speak then restricting carbs, which your body burns first, and forcing it to burn fat will boost your metabolism. Strength training is always recommended, on a diet or not.

Your body burning carbs first or fat first doesn't increase your metabolism. Low carb diets will not increase your metabolism.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    restricting carbs... will boost your metabolism.

Strong atkinscience.