Breaking Plateau

Options
Soooo I went from 187 to 179 in about 3 1/2 weeks. I do cardio about 5days a week (cycling, walking at 4.0 mph on an incline, elliptical ) caloric intake 1200 a day so i usually burn anywhere form 480 to 710 a day. On a motivated day I'll do like 1034 ( thats cycling and elliptical ( yes i know i'm overdoing it but cardio helps relieve stress) SO... i say all this to say .. I HAVE HIT A WALL. I HAVE BEEN BUSTIN MY BEHIND these last 2 WEEKS. YET I HAVE REMAINED THE SAME... (BOOOOOOOOOOO) ...Someone at work (WHO DOESN'T EVEN GYM) says "you should start doing strength training and only 15 mins of cardio because nothing burns after 15mins of cardio anyway." .... Umm I just wanna know how did you or do you break your plateau? What the sam ham am I doing wrong?

Replies

• mandygriggs3
    mandygriggs3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I would suggest increasing your calorie intake. Your friend isn't totally wrong - I think adding stregnth training would help too, but I don't believe the "after 15 min" thing. :)

If you're not eating enough calories to counter act your exercise, your body hangs on to the fat so you won't lose. Try going up to 1400 or 1460 calories a day and after a week, see if you have lost anything. Just a thought. Hope that helps!
  • ajbaccou
    ajbaccou Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi there,
    I would suggest increasing your calorie intake. Your friend isn't totally wrong - I think adding stregnth training would help too, but I don't believe the "after 15 min" thing. :)

If you're not eating enough calories to counter act your exercise, your body hangs on to the fat so you won't lose. Try going up to 1400 or 1460 calories a day and after a week, see if you have lost anything. Just a thought. Hope that helps!

hmm I will certainly try my dear, thanks for the advice!!!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Soooo I went from 187 to 179 in about 3 1/2 weeks. I do cardio about 5days a week (cycling, walking at 4.0 mph on an incline, elliptical ) caloric intake 1200 a day so i usually burn anywhere form 480 to 710 a day. On a motivated day I'll do like 1034 ( thats cycling and elliptical ( yes i know i'm overdoing it but cardio helps relieve stress) SO... i say all this to say .. I HAVE HIT A WALL. I HAVE BEEN BUSTIN MY BEHIND these last 2 WEEKS. YET I HAVE REMAINED THE SAME... (BOOOOOOOOOOO) ...Someone at work (WHO DOESN'T EVEN GYM) says "you should start doing strength training and only 15 mins of cardio because nothing burns after 15mins of cardio anyway." .... Umm I just wanna know how did you or do you break your plateau? What the sam ham am I doing wrong?

2 weeks isn't a plateau... weight loss isn't linear, especially when you are basing progress on scale weight. You'll have weeks where you lose nothing, weeks where you lose a lot (relatively speaking).

Give it more time, or if you insist on being plateaued, increase the intensity of your workouts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    uh....1200...

You're at the place where you really need to understand your body and weight loss. Time to do some researching:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less <<~~a good "group" here on MFP to join or at least read their posts.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You are responsible for choosing an accurate activity level. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have any type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.
  • pcaakes
    pcaakes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree, not only with the increasing caloric intake but maybe even eating with more consistentcy. Some people dont eat breakfast or eat small meals throughout the day which doesnt allow your metabolism to kick into gear. If your not eating small amounts throughout the day, your body starts to think that its going into starvation mode.

Think: Balance, Moderation and Variety
  • ajbaccou
    Options
    uh....1200...

You're at the place where you really need to understand your body and weight loss. Time to do some researching:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less <<~~a good "group" here on MFP to join or at least read their posts.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You are responsible for choosing an accurate activity level. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have any type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

thanks for the reads i'lll definitely read up! I'm not necessarily trying to speed up the process but i would like to see progress. I have NSV .. honestly i don't kno w which one means more this whole weight loss thing is kinda new to me.I just want to be healthy
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    You need more calories!

You sound VERY similar to me, where I started, etc. I am burning between 600-1300 calories a day. I have upped my caloric intake and what do you know? The weight is coming off again. Fill your calories with only good though. And if you are full from too much water, drink less. If you have a hard time finding things to fill the calorie bar with, try almonds, chia seeds(on/in ANYTHING!) and avocado is also a great way to up it quick!

Good Luck!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else will advise you, you aren't eating enough. If your calorie goal is 1200 you should be eating back the exercise calories you've burned otherwise your body does not have NEARLY enough calories to fuel your body with the amount you are working out.

Also, strength training is great. I frigging hate cardio so I only do 10-15 min on days I am doing strength training and then i'll have 2 other days a week that I just do cardio (because like you, it helps me with stress)

ETA: You aren't really at a plateau yet either. The body does funny things, sometimes you won't see the scale move for a few weeks then BAM, it'll drop. I've been at the same weight for 6 months, THAT is a plateau.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more (healthy) calories, that helped me break a plateau, and adding in strength training will help burn calories AND reshape your body and make it look firm and toned. You can just start with body weight exercises. Squats have done wonders for my whole lower body. Good luck!
  • ajbaccou
    Options
    Thank you so much yalll!!!

@miss oh no I think i'd die!!!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Why do more calories = more weight loss? more calories = less deficit, and deficit = weight loss. More calories can often lead to better adherence... but if she's really eating what she's saying and logging accurately/honestly, etc, I fail to see how more cals will lead to more weight loss.

If she were super lean and/or had been doing 1200 cals for months then I might buy it, but at 5ish weeks and still with weight to lose, I have a hard time believing she has hosed her metabolism and that her hormones are all out of whack.

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said.....eat your calories back...and ad some strength training....Like someone else said...on the days you lift, do like 10-15 min of HIIT Cardio....ie: Sprint on the treadmill for 30 sec, then walk for 30 sec...do this for 10 sets=10 min...you'll be sweating for 2 hrs after your workout....it gives a great afterburn....also 3 weeks is no plateau....I lost like 5 Ibs the first week and didnt loose anything for like 4 weeks...now I'm dropping 2 Ibs a week...keep it up...don't quit
  • misskerouac
    Options
    Why do more calories = more weight loss? more calories = less deficit, and deficit = weight loss. More calories can often lead to better adherence... but if she's really eating what she's saying and logging accurately/honestly, etc, I fail to see how more cals will lead to more weight loss.

If she were super lean and/or had been doing 1200 cals for months then I might buy it, but at 5ish weeks and still with weight to lose, I have a hard time believing she has hosed her metabolism and that her hormones are all out of whack.

She's netting 166-800 calories a day.
    It's not healthy, period.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

First, did she say she's not eating back her exercise cals? I didn't see it so I assumed she was based on her intake and her burns.
    Second, she didn't ask about begin healthy, she asked about weight loss and everyone said eat more cals, thus the inference is more cals = weight loss, which I don't get.
  • misskerouac
    Options

First, did she say she's not eating back her exercise cals? I didn't see it so I assumed she was based on her intake and her burns.
    Second, she didn't ask about begin healthy, she asked about weight loss and everyone said eat more cals, thus the inference is more cals = weight loss, which I don't get.

Sorry, I'm assuming she isn't since she said her caloric intake a day is 1200.
    And you are right, people should not worry about their health, only dropping weight as fast as possible, my bad
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Sorry, I'm assuming she isn't since she said her caloric intake a day is 1200.
    And you are right, people should not worry about their health, only dropping weight as fast as possible, my bad

Did I say she shouldn't worry about her health? No, not in the least. She asked about weight loss. People told her to eat more implying more food = more weight loss, which is wrong.

If people want to comment on how healthy she is or isn't being, that's more than fine, but couch it as such. And answer her question first. Something like...

To break the plateau I'd do x y x.

On a related note, 1200 cals with that amount of exercise is really hard on your body, etc etc etc.

I just hate the implication that more cals = more weight loss because it doesn't. I think people on this site run around telling people to lift and to eat more as the default answer to every question.

What's the key to weight loss? Eating more and lifting heavy.
    How do I get toned? Eat more and lift heavy.
    Who should I vote for? You need to eat more and lift heavy.
    Is my boyfriend cheating on me? He will be if you don't eat more and lift heavy.

Sorry OP... my intent was to make sure the question you asked got answered, but it seems I've derailed your post and taken up my position on a soapbox. I'll move along now.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Too true Jackson... More calories is not necessarily an answer... Two weeks of no loss is not a plateau after three weeks of steady losses... Its adjustment by the body and retention of fluid... 3500 calories deficit is not one pound of fat loss! It is the energy stored in a pound of fat. If you are not hydrating properly, if your nutrition is not good, your body has a more difficult time eliminating the pound of extra waste that it needs to eliminate for you to lose a pound. Inflammation and dehydration following a few weeks on a weight loss routine is perfectly normal, but not healthy; and the body will not show a weight loss for a while as a result. Make healthy food choices. Eat sufficient nutrients and hydrate, your body will adjust to changes and continue losing weight. Many people on this eat more bandwagon simply starting to provide nourishment to their bodies and assume that eating more = weight loss... Deficit of calories below TDEE leads to weight loss! Malnourishment is not the answer to becoming healthier! Eating more does not guarantee anything either... Be wise about the foods you consume. Maximize your nutrition! Keep below your TDEE at a number of calories equal to or slightly greater than what you want to lose at a specific pace and you will lose weight in a non-linear downward trend.
  • ajbaccou
    Options
    Hi thanks but whats TDEE
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Hi thanks but whats TDEE

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the number of calories your body uses in a day doing EVERYTHING - breathing, digesting food, pumping blood, working, chores, errands, exercise, etc etc etc.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

oh man I agree....I'm so tired of this eat more cals for weight loss