Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options
I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Replies

• GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give up my caffeine. I eat right, I exercise, I'm a low carber and work hard to look good, no way I'm giving up my caffeine, it's my reward for all my hard work. :)
  • susie234
    susie234 Posts: 14
    Options
    Maybe you could compromise and just have a 12 oz serving a few times a week? That's what I do with diet coke.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    /facepalm

Not again! Lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

I agree with this*

* I am not part of any gang, clique or club on MFP despite rumor. This agreement is based on information only.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Everything is gonna be alright
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options

This.

Absolutely this!! Drink that diet soda and enjoy it!
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day. I have not experienced any problems. What matters for weight loss is your net calorie total vs. your TDEE... that's about it.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yes it sure is, nutra sweet can cause migraines. it is better to drink regular coke or tea with no sugar. artifical sweetners are linked to cancer, migraine headaches etc
  • MidwestAngel
    Options
    /facepalm

Not again! Lol
    /facepalm

You again!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is some anecdoctal evidence that drinking diet sodas can cause some people to crave sweets. But follow-up studies have failed to find a direct link to weight gain.

But, that doesn't mean it's not bad for you. There is evidence of a link between cola (diet or reg) and increased risk of stroke.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't cause you problems and makes you happy, drink up.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I agree with this*

* I am not part of any gang, clique or club on MFP despite rumor. This agreement is based on information only.

I agree with them^^^^ Love my 1 bottle of diet wild cherry Pepsi a day!
  • kelkin1111
    kelkin1111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Even though you might not notice the weight loss here are reasons diet soda is soooooo bad for you:
    1,643134916Submit this storydigg
    reddit
    stumble How do you lose weight? Substitute diet drinks for sugary drinks. Eat low-fat foods. Just eat less of the bad foods -- it's all about the calories. We are told, "Just have more willpower."

These ideas are false. They are food and diet industry propaganda that make and keep us fat and sick. Lies by the food industry combined with bad government policy based on food industry lobbying are the major cause of our obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Now, more than 35 percent of Americans are obese, and almost 70 percent are overweight. This is not an accident but the result of careful marketing and money in politics.

We are told it is all about making better choices. If we all took more personal responsibility, we could stop this obesity and diabetes epidemic. We have been told there are no good or bad foods, that the key to weight loss is moderation. And, of course, if we all just exercised more, all of us would lose weight. These ideas hold us hostage.

What the Food and Diet Industry Doesn't Want You to Know
    Diet Soda and Diet Drinks Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?

If losing weight were all about the calories, then consuming diet drinks would seem like a good idea. That's certainly what Coca-Cola wants us to believe in their new ad highlighting their efforts to fight obesity. They proudly promote the fact that they have 180 low- or no-calorie drinks and that they cut sugared drinks in schools by 90 percent.

Is that a good thing? In fact, it may be worse than having us all drink regular Coke (and the other food giants making diet drinks also push the same propaganda).

A new 14-year study of 66,118 women (supported by many other previous studies) found that the opposite seems to be true. Diet drinks may be worse than sugar-sweetened drinks, which are worse than fruit juices (but only fresh-squeezed fruit juices).

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

1.Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
    2.Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
    3.Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
    4.The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.
    You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.
    And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

•Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
    •They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
    •It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.
    •It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
    •In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.
    •In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    yes it sure is, nutra sweet can cause migraines. it is better to drink regular coke or tea with no sugar. artifical sweetners are linked to cancer, migraine headaches etc

Migraines, yes. Aspartame is a common trigger. So are bananas.

Cancer?? I don't think there is evidence of this.
  • JennyJo23
    JennyJo23 Posts: 33
    Options
    I drink Sprite Zero just a few times a week to wake up my taste buds because water can get old. I did hear that if it has aspartame in it then it could be bad for you. So maybe every other day just so you don't go crazy craving it. Hope it all works out for you
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :flowerforyou:
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Some people can't eat wheat.
    Some people can't eat nuts.
    Some can't have alcohol.
    And some can't tolerate Aspartame.

If it feels good do it, if it doesn't....don't.

And me- I would never give up my coffee.
  • Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    All that deliteful fizz in pop...eats the calcium out of your bones. It really IS that bad.
  • MidwestAngel
    Options
    Even though you might not notice the weight loss here are reasons diet soda is soooooo bad for you:
    1,643134916Submit this storydigg
    reddit
    LOL