Evil Mom???

Options
2»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound evil to me at all. I often wonder how people can be so careful with what they eat but have no problem feeding their kids sweets and chips and whatnot. Your child might not have a weight problem, but that still doesn't mean that cookies and such are good snack options for her. No one is saying that she can NEVER have them again, but I think that she will follow your lead and learn to enjoy some healthier snack options like fruit, veggies with hummus or yogurt. You aren't punishing her at all!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Search for some fun healthy snacks you can make with your kids. I found a great one for Bell Pepper Nachos (cut bell peppers [any kind], melt cheese of choice on top and serve!). I love them! Or make a home-made pizza together and load up on veggies. Start making healthy things with them. You have to make it fun or it's so much easier to give up and go back to what you were doing. You're not evil. They will get used to not having the sugar, it's just a transition. Stay strong! You can do this!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I thought my mom was evil and mean and no fun when she told me "NO" at the grocery store as a little kid. My house - it was a "treat" to have fruit snacks or roll ups. As a kid, I never had the lunch that the other kids would want to trade me for. I wish I knew then what I know now. Mom was right. Mom is always right. She always did her best to supply us with nutritional lunches at school or healthy snacks, dinners, and breakfasts. And if the occasion brought on a special ice cream treat in summer or a birthday cake, we honored it and savored every minute.

I just wish I had listened more to mom. The best news is that it's not too late to listen to her. I'm still young and I am now modeling my healthy eating and lifestyle to what she has taught me - and done herself. I thank her today. :flowerforyou:
  • LadyLorax
    LadyLorax Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a 7 year old son that is tall, thin, and can eat a bag of Doritos in an hour. I feel your pain.

There is a difference between a "snack" and a "treat". In our house, we get one "treat" per week - whether that is cookies, donuts, whatever. We "snack" on things like carrots, apples, dried fruit, etc.

There is nothing evil about wanting your child to be healthy and not struggle with weight and other health issues in the long run. You're giving her the tools to be successful, not fat and lazy.

I wish my parents had done a better job of instilling healthy habits into me when I was a kid.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your support. I have some ideas to try. My 6 year old son actually will ask for an apple or orange over a cupcake. It's my daughter that I worry about. She is so much like me. Sneaking foods and just eating huge portions. Her grandparents on her fathers side suffered from diabetes and heart disease. (they are now both dead) My mother had a heart attack at 53.
    Looks like I'll have some researching to do on healthy snacks.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    We have a treat night once a week on Monday's. It is something that we all look forward too.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying prepackaged snacks and sugary cereals. You can find some great alternatives. The other thing we like to do is make cookies together because you know exactly what is in them and can even tweak the amount of butter or sugar. The kids love it and they are way better than store bought and better for you too.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    also if u make snacks 2gether as a family, u get quality family time & the snacks always taste better :wink:
  • Marcus107
    Marcus107 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a big believer in moderation. Maybe mix a little bit of the "bad" stuff in now and then as a reward for mostly eating the healthy stuff?
  • emmylou13
    emmylou13 Posts: 46
    Options
    I LOVE sweet treats and snacks... you just need to get creative :) ... Check out the hungry girl cook books (200 under 200 cals) has a bunch of snacks and treats under 200 calories that are fun to make and you wouldn't even know you cut out 80% of the fat and calories :) Good luck. :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that you are doing the wrong thing BUT I would't force others to do what you're doing. You have to be the strong one and avoid temptation. Are you going to refuse to go to any restaurants with friends/family because there is food that could tempt you for the rest of your life? You sound like you're in diet mind set and when tempted down the road all someone has to do is wave a candy bar in front of you and you would eat it. Don't be in a "diet" mind set. "Diets" are temporary! Just be aware of what you're eating. That's what this site is for. Sorry if I sound too blunt, but Good Luck to you.

Sorry, DanOhh, but I have to disagree with your conclusion. These are children. They are at a point where they can become snack a holics, addicted to salt, sugar, and refined carbs and potentially be users of this website as adults, OR they can learn from the example of their mother--who is willing to take the heat to make the best choice for herself and for THEM. As a mother, the original poster has a right to control what her children are fed.

I don't think that is a "diet mindset." There is nothing wrong with having better choices in your kitchen than the ones the food mfg's try to ram down our throats. In the long run, she and the family are going to be better off.
  • Bon180
    Bon180 Posts: 26
    Options
    Your doing them a favor. My kids are going through the same change in my house. There new fav snack is mashed banana with a little cinnamon and eaten with a gram cracker. tastes like banana pie. They would rather have that than a cupcake and my 7 year old can make it her self. She calls it cooking. Keep at it.
    YOUR THE PARENT....at this point in there life you have control over what they eat. Create good eating habits and when there 16 and running with friends...you can say you did your best to teach them to make the right choice.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I have never bought a ton of junk food for my kids, but I do believe its ok once in awhile in moderation! I don';t buy cookies, chips etc. but I do buy fiber 1 bars, cereal bars, mini rice cakes and 100 calorie bags of doritos, baked cheetos etc. for them! I do buy sugary cereals like honey nut cheerios and banana nut cheerios etc. but I buy myself my own cereals like bran flakes etc! For the most part my kids would rather have a cut up apple than a cookie any day, they aren't into sweets at all, no cake, no pudding, no cookies, they are kind of weird that way, lol.
  • Bon180
    Bon180 Posts: 26
    Options
    For the most part my kids would rather have a cut up apple than a cookie any day, they aren't into sweets at all, no cake, no pudding, no cookies, they are kind of weird that way, lol.

Do you think that is because your leading by good example?