Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    omg it is like SO bad for you. the fda and beverage industries are out to get all of us in the most elaborate conspiracy theory in modern history.

*takes off tinfoil hat and hands it back to coachreddy*
    <Snort>
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    First off....as someone from the midwest, I love that you call it "pop". Second, yes you can drink it in moderation. I wouldn't replace water with it, but here and there is fine. Lots of fear mongering going on.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    EVERYONE knows that diet soda will cause a huge, new, orifice to open in the middle of your forehead....:noway: On a serious note - often the stuff in diet foods can affect your system. We all handle stuff differently. If I eat red onion I get horrible gas, I can't get the taste out of my mouth for hours, and if I eat more then an ounce or two the smell comes out of my pores. For whatever reason I'm sensitive - but that has no reference to what you eat or like. Personally I try to eat less man-made and processed food. The more simple foods I eat the better -over all- I feel. oh and diet pepsi is a product of evil.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If my pop went on a diet, I think that would be a good thing for my whole family.

As far as diet soda goes...it's controversial (clearly)...so you decide what's best for you and drink at your own risk.
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The mayo clinic says: Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer.

I don't know about any online information being good or not but I do know soda has no warring label for such claims of illness?
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This.

This

actually I am going to disagree with my initial 'this' you should not drink diet pepsi - go with coke zero its way better

Oooo! I didn't catch that. I have to agree with this this. Although I prefer Cherry Coke Zero, but now we're nit picking.

my only reason I dont like cherry coke zero is cause when im at the hospital the freaking cherry coke zero and cherry coke bottle look too similar so my dumbass picks up cherry coke on accident far too often - otherwise yes cherry coke zero is the ****

Diet Coke and cherry vodka....the bomb diggity, but very dangerous!

Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Cream Soda!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's bad for your teeth, at least. I feel pain when I eat or drink anything too hot or too cold, sometimes when even just inhaling through my mouth on a cold day. My dentist said my enamel has worn away, largely because I used to drink lots of diet coke.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Your-Dentist-Goodbye-Yourself/dp/1929774672
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of studies out there that indicate diet sodas are not as wonderful as people think they should be. Personally, I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners of any kind so I would much rather eat or drink the real thing in small doses that fits into my calorie intake. There has been studies that indicate consuming artificual sweetened foods and drinks encourages the "sweet" craving and there have been studies that link artifical sweeteners to various health issues. None of these should be ignored but you need to make the decision what you want to put in your body.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    omg it is like SO bad for you. the fda and beverage industries are out to get all of us in the most elaborate conspiracy theory in modern history.

*takes off tinfoil hat and hands it back to coachreddy*

Well-played, sir.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Even though you might not notice the weight loss here are reasons diet soda is soooooo bad for you:
    1,643134916Submit this storydigg
    reddit
    stumble How do you lose weight? Substitute diet drinks for sugary drinks. Eat low-fat foods. Just eat less of the bad foods -- it's all about the calories. We are told, "Just have more willpower."

These ideas are false. They are food and diet industry propaganda that make and keep us fat and sick. Lies by the food industry combined with bad government policy based on food industry lobbying are the major cause of our obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Now, more than 35 percent of Americans are obese, and almost 70 percent are overweight. This is not an accident but the result of careful marketing and money in politics.

We are told it is all about making better choices. If we all took more personal responsibility, we could stop this obesity and diabetes epidemic. We have been told there are no good or bad foods, that the key to weight loss is moderation. And, of course, if we all just exercised more, all of us would lose weight. These ideas hold us hostage.

What the Food and Diet Industry Doesn't Want You to Know
    Diet Soda and Diet Drinks Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?

If losing weight were all about the calories, then consuming diet drinks would seem like a good idea. That's certainly what Coca-Cola wants us to believe in their new ad highlighting their efforts to fight obesity. They proudly promote the fact that they have 180 low- or no-calorie drinks and that they cut sugared drinks in schools by 90 percent.

Is that a good thing? In fact, it may be worse than having us all drink regular Coke (and the other food giants making diet drinks also push the same propaganda).

A new 14-year study of 66,118 women (supported by many other previous studies) found that the opposite seems to be true. Diet drinks may be worse than sugar-sweetened drinks, which are worse than fruit juices (but only fresh-squeezed fruit juices).

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

1.Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
    2.Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
    3.Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
    4.The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.
    You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.
    And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

•Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
    •They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
    •It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.
    •It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
    •In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.
    •In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Nonsense.
    Love the NONSENSE part of this post!!!
  • jenlatham
    jenlatham Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Getting a 32 oz. diet fountain sodas is one of my treats. A few times a week makes it really feel like one.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This.

This

actually I am going to disagree with my initial 'this' you should not drink diet pepsi - go with coke zero its way better

Oooo! I didn't catch that. I have to agree with this this. Although I prefer Cherry Coke Zero, but now we're nit picking.

my only reason I dont like cherry coke zero is cause when im at the hospital the freaking cherry coke zero and cherry coke bottle look too similar so my dumbass picks up cherry coke on accident far too often - otherwise yes cherry coke zero is the ****

Diet Coke and cherry vodka....the bomb diggity, but very dangerous!

Oh wow. New favorite! I'm soooo gonna try that this weekend!!!! :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    /facepalm

Not again! Lol
    /facepalm

You again!

who are you?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that diet soda, or soda in general, is great for you (we've all seen that video where the can of coke cleans the engine gears), but now a days you can find a study to support anything and everything causing cancer, strokes, tumors, death. You name it, something new every day causes it (including the medications to ward off something else!).

A can of Diet Pepsi at lunch makes me happy and helps me get through my afternoon slump at work. It's mental, and it works for me. So I drink it.

If it works for you, drink it too :)

Amphetamines would probably work equally well...

Why won't anyone ever try just adding a twist from an organic lemon wedge to a glass of iced water (and because it is organic, you can throw the peel and all right in the water). It is a very refreshing drink with hardly any calories and it has potassium, citrate, and di-limonine. All very valuable substances. Aspartame, not at all valuable.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    alright how about THIS:

If you are open to the world of holistic medicine, and see value in it, then you will likely feel that there are issues with aspartame, and will, thus, stay away from diet sodas.

If you subscribe only to the things that have been officially proven through published scientific studies, and discount the value of holistic medicine, you will likely feel that aspartame is 100% safe.

OP: which category do you fall under?

Everyone else: we can stop arguing now because no one will convince anyone else they're wrong. Sound good?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is good for me to get a bit of sweet without the calories. It also curbs my appetite a bit.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Without reading any of the other comments about this subject, I will just say that look at the ingredients of soda. Nothing in it is natural. All the chemicals that are used to make a soda taste good and still be zero calories. Think about it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that diet soda, or soda in general, is great for you (we've all seen that video where the can of coke cleans the engine gears), but now a days you can find a study to support anything and everything causing cancer, strokes, tumors, death. You name it, something new every day causes it (including the medications to ward off something else!).

A can of Diet Pepsi at lunch makes me happy and helps me get through my afternoon slump at work. It's mental, and it works for me. So I drink it.

If it works for you, drink it too :)

Amphetamines would probably work equally well...

But they are awfully expensive and require a prescription to obtain legally. :ohwell:
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree there is no nutritional/health benefit to drinking any type of soda. However, the decision lies in your personal health goals. If you don't mind consuming artifical sweetners, and carbonated soda then by all means give'r.

Everything in moderation.
    I'll never give up ice cream!
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can't drink them often. I don't eat sweets and when I drink diet soda, it makes me crave sweets like no one's business. The cravings are far worse if I drink the diet soda (or eat anything sweet) in the morning or early afternoon because I have the rest of the day to want sugar. If I want a diet drink at dinner I am more apt to do so because I do better. By the time i realize I am craving more sweets it is time to go to bed.

I used to eat one of those little dove chocolate squares a day and can't do it anymore for the same reason.