Hi! mom recovering from back surgery

Options
blakedebo
blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
Hi! My name is Blake, I am a 29 y.o. mom of 2 from NH. I had disc excision (similar to microdiscectomy) last week to repair 2 badly herniated dics- L4/L5 and L5/S1. My recovery has gone very well so far, but I have restrictions of no bending/lifting (more than 15 lbs)/twisting. These make my life a little more complicated with kids, but luckily DH is able to be home with me for a few weeks. It also restricts my exercise options, but at least my back and leg pain are alleviated, which were excrusiating.
I have lost an additional 25 lbs with WW once my post pregnancy weight stopped coming off. I decided to give MFP a try to save some money and mix things up a bit. IN 2004 I weighed in at 238 lbs, I lost about 50 lbs using WW and then had my daughter shortly after. Lossing the baby weight has not been a problem for me, it is the rest of the weight I have carried pretty much my whole life. I am looking to get fit and be a healthy example for my children! I look forward to sharing my experience and getting to hear about others success!

Replies

• blakedebo
    Options
    anyone else have this surgery (disc excision/ microdiscectomy)? what was your recovery time like?
  • slugphat
    slugphat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good Luck wuth your weight loss goals!!! YOU can do it
  • blakedebo
    Options
    Good Luck wuth your weight loss goals!!! YOU can do it

thank you!
  • patriciasimmons12
    patriciasimmons12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a 360 back fusion in 1999. It has been an uphill struggle. Before the surgery I was given a very large amount of corticosteroids and went from 135 to 230 in 3 months. No one recognized me and I scared myself every time I saw myself in the mirror (thought it was a stranger). I have never regretted my back surgery. It was a matter of fixing my back or becoming paralyzed but I do regret the steroids I was given without my knowledge. I thought it was tordol. A med like ibuprofen. Wish you luck with your recovery and follow the doctors orders about twisting and lifting. It's important. Weight loss is very important but do not hurt yourself. You can do leg lifts while laying flat and other such core strengthening.