How do you stay on track and keep motivated?

Options
I do good for a week and then bad for a week. I try to get up early in the morning to work out and I just can't pull myself out of bed. I'm tired of the constant yo-yoing. What are some tips that have kept you on track with weight loss?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I dont allow myself to make excuses. I work out 6 days a week and I think I'm on week 5 of doing that. I haven't missed any days. If working out in the morning doesn't work for you find a time that does. For me its after my kids go to bed. Yesterday I was exhausted and I even took a nap after work (which I NEVER do) my husband woke me up and even in my groggy I want to go back to sleep state of mind I still got dressed and went to the gym and worked my butt off. I realized then how seriously I take this.

My thought is, regardless of whether or not it takes me forever to reach my goals that time will pass anyways....may as at least work towards it
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I started working out right after work (I work in my college's rec center so I almost feel guilty if I don't) or when a friend is going to be at the gym too. I've actually kind of become addicted to it and was bummed when I only had time for twenty minutes yesterday.

I went through a time similar to yours, I would stay on for a week or two, get sick or tired or make excuses and then give up until the next month. I took off for the holidays and realized afterwards that I was heavier than I'd ever been and that I actually had to stick to it this time. I started slow. For the first couple weeks all I did was track exercise and try to incorporate veggies into most meals, try and stop pigging out on junk food at night.

I took a progress picture, and my tummy chub had visibly decreased in that time. That picture keeps me motivated - a kind of "look what you've accomplished" and sent me on the road to calorie counting. Now between my job and mfp, I'm basically an expert and I love it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    When I began, I always have approached it from a health perspective. The number on the scale means nothing to me. Over time I improved enough that I don't have to go back to relying on medications to control the obese related issues I had in the past. Not needing the medications anymore keeps me going. I could fluctuate up & down on the scale and not care one bit.
  • ACatherineC
    Options
    I am joined a really nice gym but didn't really get hook until i found an amazing instructor! He is a spin teacher and is absolutely incredible. I don't miss any of his classes, he makes the 45mins really good fun. Even if i need to get up at 6am i practically jump from the bed as i know it's going to be fun.

Find an exercise you love doing...and do it with someone you enjoy! Hope this helps :-)
  • MichalisAgisilaou
    MichalisAgisilaou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have to choose: Pain of Discipline or pain of regret. I choose discipline and i lost 70lbs. How i achieved that? When i was watching everyone eat that dirty food that will give you 3 minutes of pleasure until you eat it and then feeling so bad and disgusted that you are out of track then go eat bad. I know is not an easy journey to a healthy and sexy body but it's supposed to be hard! Good Luck
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: a true commitment! if you eat a lot of protein & veggies along with lots of water you can't go wrong. protein keeps you from being hungry & when you are not hungry it helps you not to eat what you shouldn't. lots of water helps with. water weight gain. 2-3 fresh fruits a day helps with the sweet tooth cravings. lots of veggies fills in the gaps. you need to plan ahead for your diary, even a week in advance. exercise helps the scale to drop. if you commit yourself to a schedule like that you can't go wrong! remember, you are not in this alone, you have all of us here to cheer you on!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try signing up for a class. You HAVE TO go when it is a scheduled event. Another way would be to get a work out buddy. When my husband and I worked out together we would keep each other going. Unfortunately then our work schedules changed.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Each day is a new day to improve your mind and body.. Do not let people around you bring you down either..
    Winners hang around with winners. Excuse makers with excuse makers.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Are you able to work out at night? I know some people swear by the whole waking up early thing but it's just always worked better for me to work out in the evening, either right after work for runs or around 8pm for the gym. As far as motivation, I have a breathing machine in my closet on the floor I used to have to sleep with when I had sleep apnea from being so heavy. I see it every day when I pick out clothes to get dressed
  • DragonSuzie
    Options
    Each day is a new day to improve your mind and body.. Do not let people around you bring you down either..
    Winners hang around with winners. Excuse makers with excuse makers.

This, also, take each day as it comes, if you look too far into the future its like having a mountain to climb, when in reality its the small changes over time that will make the biggest difference :)
    After all its about changing a lifetime of bad habbits, it wont happen over night.

Even if u get out of bed and go for a walk around the block its something. Good luck.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    you have to ask yourself how much you want it, if you really do all these negative thoughts are just that and can be swept aside. You are in control.
  • cathomas0921
    Options
    I've gotten my hubby to commit to letting me join a gym once I've lost 20lbs.( I have 60lbs to lose total)
    Although that might night not seem like much of a reward, it is for me. (Gym membership is $37/mo) I was able to cut out eating out which saved money (and my diet lol) I have to show myself I'm committed to doing this before I can have that gym membership. In order to keep it, I have to keep up with journaling my food and exercise each day thereafter.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to find what works best. If you struggle getting out of bed for early workouts, try working out in the evening or lunchtime. If it's the workout itself that is uninspiring, try a new workout - there are loads of options out there from running and biking outdoors, to boot camps, zumba, kickboxing, spin, yoga, pilates and a myriad of group classes. The important thing is that you do it and it's tough to do if you don't enjoy it. And, finally, I think everyone probably has days it is tough to get up and get going, regardless of what we do and when and how much we love our workouts... on those days, just fake it til you make it.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started off really small. I'd walk past a donut at work and say, "Nope, I'm not going to eat it. Eating it is something I would normally do and if I keep doing what I would normally do, I'm always going to be this way." Everytime I resisted a temptation, I thought of it as a victory. Like, I can do this. They added up to boosts of confidence. I'd smile when I was able to resist and people would wonder what I was so happy about.

I also agree with the above comment about finding something you love. I go to my gym's BodyCombat and BodyPump classes and they push me much harder than just going to the gym by myself would.

And don't give up. Even if you stall (like I have for the past few weeks), one day leads to the next. Just keep swimming. All that movement will add up at some point.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    you have to ask yourself how much you want it, if you really do all these negative thoughts are just that and can be swept aside. You are in control.

This is good advice! I am on my third time restarting MFP after going completely off track the past 7 weeks. I got so completely disgusted and had my AHA moment about a week ago. I am determined not to give up this time. Having supportive MFP buddies helps, and what also really helps me is signing up for challenges on the groups or message boards. That motivates me to not fall off the wagon.