Running

Options
How do you start running? I am curious, as a kid I would run all day, run like the wind, after my time in the Navy and the weight gain, I started not running so much. I can sprint if need be, but it is short bursts and then I feel like my heart is beating outside of my head. I have been rockin the treadmill for a little while with the walking, but I want to run.
My weight is 261, so I am still a little hefty, and running full bore wont do me any good(heart attack waiting to happen), but I have been trying the interval thing, where you walk for 90 seconds, then run at 80-90% for 30 seconds...I usually get about 4 rounds of that down then I am spent...
Any suggestions? Is this a good plan? For now, I'm gonna keep on the interval thing, and as the weight comes off I'll do better, I hope...

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I was in the same spot as you and my trainer had just told me to keep at it. It takes time to get your body to do stuff, so just keep working at it. I also did a lot of squats, lunges, leg extensions etc to build my leg muscles so they could handle that "push" that you have to do off the ground when you run. It sounds funny, but I think you can understand the feeling, it's like that springy jump you need in your step to run.

I've since given up and traded wanting to run for biking. But the interval thing was helping, especially make sure you use an incline if you plan on jogging/running outdoors.

Runner's World has a program and that Couch to 5k thing - both do the interval training.

Happy running!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think you have to start small and build up, I started doing spin classes which I think help with my endurance, but just get on the treadmill and go fast enough you can keep up and not hold on to the hand rails. Last time I did 2 miles in just over 30 min without stopping... this at 275lbs
    I think also basic cardio and core strengthening can help I think that is kinda what I built on with the spin and weight classes I do.
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    try the couch to 5k, just do a google search on it. It gives you a 9 week program that helps you work up to being able to run a 5k.
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is a program call Couch to 5K , or, C25K. It builds you up slowly with intervals. I do intervals on a regular basis. Google it to find the link..or someone may post it.

The key for you seems to be that you are running at 80-90%...why? You don't need to do that. I walk then do a nice decent paced run (jog for most) for a minute or so. then walk for a minute, then run...back and forth. I don't KILL myself on the runs because I want to be able to do more of them. The times can vary and also the speed can vary. Going that fast doesn't do you any good because you can only do 4 rounds....so slow down and see how many you can do!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you do Couch to 5k, and if you have facebook, they have an awersome information on there, they post tons of articles on strength training etc
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Check out the C25k program!!
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The interval routine that you are doing right now is amazing! That is the best way to get results and train your body. Keep it up! You actually burn more calories as well doing interval training because you are confusing your body....
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    How do you start running? I am curious, as a kid I would run all day, run like the wind, after my time in the Navy and the weight gain, I started not running so much. I can sprint if need be, but it is short bursts and then I feel like my heart is beating outside of my head. I have been rockin the treadmill for a little while with the walking, but I want to run.
    My weight is 261, so I am still a little hefty, and running full bore wont do me any good(heart attack waiting to happen), but I have been trying the interval thing, where you walk for 90 seconds, then run at 80-90% for 30 seconds...I usually get about 4 rounds of that down then I am spent...
    Any suggestions? Is this a good plan? For now, I'm gonna keep on the interval thing, and as the weight comes off I'll do better, I hope...

Hi!

Yes, what you are doing re the interval stuff is excellent. Gradually, you will find that it will feel easy and you will need to up the running to say 45 seconds. Eventually, you will be able to run for 60 secs and walk for 60 secs. As you lengthen the runs and shorten the walks, you will find one day you can run continuously for say 15-20 mins and then you will know you are well on the way.

Just take it real easy until you find it comfortable and then build upwards :wink:
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Agree with the other posters - find a learn to run program (couch to 5k sounds popular) and be patient.

A year ago I started this learn to run 10k program from scratch:

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/sunrun/pdf/learntorun10k program.pdf

And a year later I ran a half-marathon (with no stopping). You can do it, just work hard and be patient! (Oh, and invest in a good pair of running shoes - check out your local running store for advice).

Edit: I was about 245 when I started that last year, so your 261 isn't much different. About 230 when I started MFP 3 weeks ago and am down 7 pounds so far.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Follow a C25k, then after that, keep adding distance every week, but keep it in the 10% rule..meaning do not exceed the previous weeks mileage by 10%. The muscles, ligaments, etc need to adapt to avoid injury.

I started run/walking in January this year(never ran in my life prior), and now can run a 5k in about 25 mins, and run 20k non-stop @ a 5:45 min/km pace. My current weekly mileage is around 35-40 kms, and gradually increasing every week. I'm training for a marathon in September.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Follow a C25k, then after that, keep adding distance every week, but keep it in the 10% rule..meaning do not exceed the previous weeks mileage by 10%. The muscles, ligaments, etc need to adapt to avoid injury.

I started run/walking in January this year(never ran in my life prior), and now can run a 5k in about 25 mins, and run 20k non-stop @ a 5:45 min/km pace. My current weekly mileage is around 35-40 kms, and gradually increasing every week. I'm training for a marathon in September.

Hey, good luck with that marathon! Keep us posted :drinker:
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    I also did Couch to 5K. Now I'm about to start training for my third half marathon. It's a great program. Good luck!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    What worked well with me when I started (at 265 lbs.) was to start slow with an elliptical machine and stationary bike, building up until I could be on there for a while without my heart going through the roof. Once I got to a good point with my heart rate (which happened at about 245 or so), I started the Couch to 5k program (just finished week 5). YMMV, but that worked well for me. My thinking was that I didn't want to build up to a heart attack and didn't want to blow a knee out or something, so didn't start running until I had built up my cardio and lost some weight first.