Grocery Shopping

Options
StheK
StheK Posts: 443 Member
I have a weird problem now that I'm eating better. I can't seem to figure out how to shop for groceries anymore. I am wasting more food now that I ever have before, even though I'm actually buying less. For instance- an avocado. I love avocados and I want to eat them. But they are high calorie and if I want a good variety of things for the rest of the day, half an avocado is about all I can fit into a day's menu. The other half often goes bad. I never finish a whole head of lettuce anymore before it goes bad. Or cheeses- I just threw out 3 different cheeses that had molded. I feel like I have to sacrifice variety in order to eat things before they go bad. Does anyone else struggle with this, or am I the only one who can't figure out how to "budget" food?

Replies

• bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I was struggling with this a lot as well. As a result, I grocery shot every week :/ I prefer fresh and natural foods so its just easier that way. When restricting calories, I just can eat as many different things throughout the day. So I may get to the end of the week and my bananas are turning brown because I didn't eat one eat day. It can be very frustrating. My fix was buying less and shopping more! lol
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with this a lot as well. As a result, I grocery shot every week :/ I prefer fresh and natural foods so its just easier that way. When restricting calories, I just can eat as many different things throughout the day. So I may get to the end of the week and my bananas are turning brown because I didn't eat one eat day. It can be very frustrating. My fix was buying less and shopping more! lol
    And that's pretty much it. I buy for about 3 meals at a time. I always have salad and fruit and veggies in the house. Maybe only buy 2 or 3 bananas instead of an entire bunch. Things like that will help
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Buy variety, but not all at once, just from week to week. Try planning a menu for the whole week, then you can ensure that you will find ways to use up all the ingredients you bought. I am the only avocado eater in the house and I generally only use 1/8 of an avocado every morning. It might turn slightly brown, but I can usually get 5-6 days out of a cut avocado. Don't buy 3 cheeses at once. Buy one, wrap it tightly and it will last a long time. Next week buy a different cheese.
  • danlarson
    danlarson Posts: 27
    Options
    Is your fridge cold enough? I am able to keep cheese for quite a while if wrapped tight in zip lock baggie. Try to get all the air out of it also bofore zipping.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What squeakyfish said: I rotate what I get. One week (or whatever, usually until it's gone) I'll get cheddar cheese, and then the next I'll get something different. One week it's bananas, the next it's berries for breakfast. It doesn't help that I live alone, so I'm the only one around to eat produce. Also, maybe try getting smaller amounts of things? (That's probably more of a cooking for one thing, where I go to the deli for meat because the package of lunchmeat goes bad before I finish it.)