i'm worried about trip

Options
I want to start off with i'm finally losing weight again, i was stuck for awhile but now it's starting to pick back up, hooray for me!!!:smile: but i'm getting pretty worried, i'm leaving on a 18 hr car ride cross country and i'm afraid i'll just get off track i've worked SO HARD to lose the weight......and don't know where i'm going to squeeze any exercise in.....is skipping 4 days of exercise going to affect me at all?????

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would do what you can, but focus on eating more than exercise, I know car rides means stopping at fast food places because its there etc, bring some snacks that are heathy to eat good when you can
  • Haismais
    Haismais Posts: 26
    Options
    Will you be in the car for the full 18 hours? When we make long trips we fit in fitness breaks or wiggle breaks as we call them. I pack a frisbee in the car and we stop at rest areas to eat lunch. after eating we play frisbee for a little while. Yes it adds to the travel time but everyone gets the wiggles out and can make it farther in the car that day. We try to stop at hotels that have a pool (usually and indoor pool.) If you don't think others will look at you while you do this try joggin in the pool, doing jumping jacks, and even cross country ski in the pool. Or you can always hit the workout room. Most hotels have a place to workout. Good Luck and have a safe trip.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When going on a long road trip, I go to the grocery store beforehand and buy snacks and drinks to take with me so I don't have to eat gas station food or fast food. I have a little cooler I put in the back seat with my drinks in it. Also, if you are not rushed for time you can always stop at a rest station along the way and go for a walk, they usually have nice little park-like picnic areas.
  • colekay
    colekay Posts: 34
    Options
    Great idea about the pool, didn't think about that :smile: we are going to try and drive straight but knowing the people we are traveling with.....probably going want to stop and sleep.....thanks guys :)
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, its the following:
    -Pack Healthy snacks to eat in the car
    -Don't eat at fast food. Eat some place nice and order healthy food. Don't eat as much as normal if possible
    -Try to exercise during stops. Walk around the buildings, stop in rest areas and walk around. The frisbee suggestion was great. Also, look for work out bands that pack easy yet can still be used to do several exercises with.
    -Book nice hotels with a workout facility and use it while you are there.
    -Make time to do all the above. A plan will go a long way to helping you stay on track. Research the hotels and restaurants on your route, look for fun places to stop, etc. An ounce of planning is worth a pound (or several pounds) of remorse.
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Know your concern...I generally manage to get a small cooler next to me with an ice pack...grapes, orange sections, low cal sandwich, snack bars...even a sack of dry pop popcorn isn't bad. The minute I start a car ride I get hungry...all in my head...try to keep your hands busy...I knit dish cloths that I give to my daughters and daughter-in-law..they look forward to my traveling.:happy:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I want to start off with i'm finally losing weight again, i was stuck for awhile but now it's starting to pick back up, hooray for me!!!:smile: but i'm getting pretty worried, i'm leaving on a 18 hr car ride cross country and i'm afraid i'll just get off track i've worked SO HARD to lose the weight......and don't know where i'm going to squeeze any exercise in.....is skipping 4 days of exercise going to affect me at all?????

It might affect you mentally as in worrying, fretting and worrying some more! :laugh:

Listen, whatever reason you have for going on that 18 hour car ride cross country, that is real life and you are participating in it. If you never did anything because you didn't want to miss your exercising, the whole idea of getting in shape will have been defeated and you would be swapping one limitation (ie being overweight and unable or unwilling to do certain things) for another limitation (not doing things lest you miss your exercising).

Go for your car journey, enjoy yourself and make a resolution to get right back into it all at your first opportunity! :flowerforyou:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I'm leaving for Puerto Vallaeta in less than 4 weeks. Going to be there for 2 weekks. All-Inclusive. All-you-can-eat. AND DRINK!! I KNOW I'm going to be in trouble. Just going to do my best until then and, while I'm there, use the gym, sauna, takes walks on the beach and try to minimize the damage. When I get back, I have about 3 weeks to prepare for a 10 day motorcycle trip. Another opportunity to screw up.

Just going to do the best I can and not worry about it (Too much).
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. Exercising does not cause weight loss, calorie deficit does and that is controlled by what you eat. Riding in the car implies limited eating stops so plan ahead. Figure out the typical fast food places you normally stop and spend the time now going through their nutritional info so you know what to order ahead of time. I have a 20 hour drive coming up this weekend and I am planning ahead. A Wendy's #1 with caesar salad instead of fries is a good choice. I actually prefer fast food places to most sit-down restaurants because at a sit-down it is very easy to eat 2000 calories without even trying due to their enormous portions. You could always pack a lunch and dinner for the first day and take total control of what you eat. I plan to pack the meals I can and eat something small otherwise and should have no problems keeping my calories close to normal allowance.

Bringing snacks can be both good and bad. The danger is you bring too many and then just eat them all because you are bored.