Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I Need shoe advice!

I am new to running and I curently own some Addidas ClimaCool shoes. I really liked how light they felt & how cool they kept my foot while running although they seem too big in the toe box. i am considering getting something new as I am concerned with injury and foot pain. Any shoes out there for newbies that don't want to spend $150?

Replies

• shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    I am really liking the new balance minminus shoes. The fit my feet like socks almost. I would go and try them out at least.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Go get fitted at a running store (not a big chain). You can expect to pay around $100 for a pair of shoes (it is well worth it). If you are really strapped for cash, you can get fitted, then look online for last year's model/colors (often they don't change much between versions).
  • I am new to running and I curently own some Addidas ClimaCool shoes. I really liked how light they felt & how cool they kept my foot while running although they seem too big in the toe box. i am considering getting something new as I am concerned with injury and foot pain. Any shoes out there for newbies that don't want to spend $150?

try and get last seasons of whatever you find you might be successful with!! worked for me, found last season Newtons for 70$ --- normally 180$
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Hard answer, cuz everyone's foot is different. I went out my very first time to a specialty shop and had them do all the analyses. They narrowed me down to Sauconys. I bought them there once (spendy) and now I just find what I want on the internet on sale.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I am really liking the new balance minminus shoes. The fit my feet like socks almost. I would go and try them out at least.

I just got these and I love them so far. It was a strange adjustment to run without any cushion, but the run felt really good. They are definitely not for everyone but worth looking into if you're interested in minimalist shoes.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    I'd get fitted if I were you. I love my New Balance Minimus running shoes, but I mainly wear them for weight lifting or short intervals (i.e. no more than 20 minutes).
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Try the SKORA Forms www.skorarunning.com #runreal
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    I love my Brooks running shoes!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    if you're going to be running on a regular basis I STRONGLY recommend that you go out to a running shoe store where they measure your gait, pronation and such. I started running on some standard cheap running shoes I bought at a big 5 and I thought the back pain and knee issues were part of the normal process, until I got fitted for a support/stability shoe for slight overpronation. HUGE difference, I could run longer and harder, pain free. I currently run on a pair of Brooks
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    If you want light and smaller in the toe box, Nike Free Runs fit the description, although I cannot recommend them as running shoes. They gave me shin splints and offer nothing in the way of support; these are so-called minimalist shoes. They work for some people though.

I just went to a running store to get fitted for a pair and came back with Mizunos, the Wave Creation 14 model. I have a narrower foot, and they fit snugly. They do cost $150, but from the reviews I understand that they are pretty much unchanged from last year's model except for colors. So you could look for Mizuno Wave Creation 13; they should run you a bit over $100.

I'll definitely agree on the suggestion to get fitted for shoes at a running store, though. Just be honest with them and tell them what your budget is. And don't feel pressured into buying something that's more expensive.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    rykas
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Go get fitted at a running store (not a big chain). You can expect to pay around $100 for a pair of shoes (it is well worth it). If you are really strapped for cash, you can get fitted, then look online for last year's model/colors (often they don't change much between versions).

this exactly. I just got saucony progrid 5 for $58 online - it's a $110 shoe - because progrid 6 came out. I did try the 5 on in a store first (where it was still $110).
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I started running a little over a year ago and although I didn't want to pay the high price tag for good running shoes, I am happy I did and would recomend getting fitted at a running store. I wear Asics foundation. I have flat feet and over pronate (it really stabilizes my foot). I now run 5-7 miles 5 days a week. I wear a whole size bigger than my regular shoe. I found out the hard way that not enough room in the toe box ends up with losing toenails, ingrown nails and pain.
  • Go get fitted properly. You might not actually need to fork out for expensive shoes. I started running a little under a year ago and got some Nike trainers, on sale, for £80 (not sure what that is in $, sorry!), when I went to get some new ones in September I got fitted and it turned out because I have stupidly high arches all I needed was a pair of £20 basic trainers and some £25 insoles, and I was going in prepared to spend around £100 again so I saved half that just by getting my feet measured. And I've had fewer injuries and problems with the cheap ones :) Just go get measured and see what's right for you, you may need expensive ones, but then again you may not, and who doesn't want to save money?
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    I went to ****'s Sporting store, they had a pair of Puma shoes on sale, I got them for like 28 dollars when they were 150 ish
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Okay, that was D I C K's sporting...it got censored lol
  • alohaville
    alohaville Posts: 5 Member
    Go to Roadrunnersports.com and use the shoe dog. you can then go to an outlet and get the shoes on discount. what i do!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Okay, that was D I C K's sporting...it got censored lol

This just made my day.