What do u do if working out makes u tired?

Options
I just started working out and I'm doing some pretty intense workout routines. Each time I do, I spend the next day starving and rushing to stuff my face. I eat healthy stuff but it doesn't seem to ease the hunger. Are there any foods or tricks I can do to fullfill the hunger or to stop it?

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating now? What kind of intense workouts are you doing?
  • Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    Working out is meant to make you tired. It's part of our biology.
    You hunt, you eat, you sleep.

Don't mistake fatigue for hunger. This used to get me into a LOT of trouble. Have a nap instead.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein and healthy fats! And I sleep like a baby on cardio days!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sounds like you aren't eating enough, and aren't getting enough rest.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    More protein before and after your workout may help. Enough sleep will also help.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Im generally really hungry right after my workout ( I run a 5k)... I stuff myself with baby carrots-- it seems to help me, and they are low in calories, and help rehydrate... I would be interested to know what kind of workouts you are doing too--
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can't really answer intelligently without more info. Like your food diary, height, weight, age, type of exercise,....
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein and healthy fats! And I sleep like a baby on cardio days!!

Ditto! More fats, less empty carbs. That's what works for me personally.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm doing tapout xt 45 min burning almost 960 cals. But I can't lose weight if I don't decrease my intake while working out
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I eat some almonds (maybe 10-20) and see how I feel. I think raw, unsalted nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts) with dried fruit (mangoes, apricots, raisins, cherries, cranberries) makes the best snack, dessert, whatever. It can be high calorie, but it's a really healthy way to fill up and not feel bad about the calories, like you would about fries, chips, buffalo wings, a six-foot sandwich, beer, cookies, cheeseburgers, just about everything I want to eat right now. Damn you, whiskey!
  • sirscientess
    Options
    Initially working out makes me tired, but after a few days I get more energized throughout the day. Make sure you aren't starting too intensely and like others said protein and whole grains, make sure you are eating enough.
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    I feel exactly the same but I also feel ridiculously tired when I get home from the gym (no more late nights for me)!
    I tend to eat yoghurt, a cereal bar or a protein shake after a workout. I know you feel like stuffing your face, I do too but think about it and take a step back, don't ruin the fantastic workout you did! And drink lots of water, it fills you up :)
  • Mtleiker
    Options
    Yeah never thought rest would play a part. I'm a nursing student so lots of sleep is rare and precious. I'll try to make time for tht. But when I do I wake up STARVING and wanna eat the house. Of course I don't do tht but the hunger pAin is sometimes so bothersome
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Also-- your body craves the calories you burn when you first start working out... Once you adjust a little you may feel less like stuffing your face the next day...And I agree with everyone here-- I sleep much better on workout days...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm doing tapout xt 45 min burning almost 960 cals. But I can't lose weight if I don't decrease my intake while working out

decrease your intake from what to what?
  • Mtleiker
    Options
    Thanks all you guys. Those are really good tips. I think I'm gnna workout and hav a protein packed shake then nap:) thanks everybody !
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It sounds like working out is making you hungry. Are you feeling fatigued too as if you are not eating enough to fuel your body? My guess is you probably do need to eat more. Do you eat something before and/or after your workout?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me when I first started working out regularly too. I noticed just recently that I no longer experience that intense hunger. I've been going to the gym 3-4 days a week since the end of Jan, and I was actually thinking about this very thing the other day. Perhaps this will also happen for you? (As an aside, my workouts have changed a bit as well- I'm focusing equally on cardio and strength training, when initially my workouts were cardio heavy)

The best i can say is drink plenty of water so you don't mistake thirst for hunger, eat well and balanced (plenty of protein) and if you have a really bad craving for something sweet or fatty, indulge it as healthy as possible. Dark chocolate for sweet cravings is my go-to. Also, to help with feelings of saiety, try adding nuts, cheese or avacado to your meals; proper amounts of good fats, along with protein, help you to feel satisfied.

Best of Luck!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I burn approx 700 cals a day. I do that in the morning and afterwards for lunch I eat about 300 calories of veggies mixed with a tablespoon of olive oil and spices and also a protein like fish or chicken or a couple of tablespoons of a nut butter along with a slice of Ezekiel bread or a couple of sourdough pretzels or 5 cups of skinny pop popcorn. I also sometimes have hummus for my protein. In other words I eat about 2/3 of my exercise cals back cause I'm so hungry. And I'm still losing weight. Don't be afraid to eat lots of healthy food. If you burn the cals you need to eat. As long as there's a deficit you will continue to lose.
    Oh yeah and drink lots of water!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ^Found your problem </endthread>