Morning Smoothies

Options
My latest craze is a smoothie for breakfast. I have tried several different ones with incorporating fruit and different type of powders and supplements. What are some of your favorite combinations? Would love to get some new ideas :)

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    1c milk
    1/4 cottage cheese, 2-4% fat (makes it very creamy)
    1c frozen strawberry
    1/4c frozen wild blueberry
    1 scoop vanilla powder
    1 handful spinach
    lime juice.
    4 ice cubes

Makes a HUGE, gut-buster for about 350 calories.
  • ChristinaNamaste
    Options
    oooOOoo Thanks!
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    1 cup almond milk
    1 cup ice
    1 banana
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 scoop chocolate Shakeology
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    1c frozen strawberry
    1/4c frozen wild blueberry

Oops - be sure to partially defrost the strawberry in the microwave, for a shake-like consistency.

Frozen strawberries probably will seize up with that amount of liquid. Raw strawberries will work, but it will be thinner.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My smoothies usually consist of
    Yogurt
    Spinach
    Frozen banana
    Splash of juice or milk

Sometimes I add PB2 and other fresh fruits that I have on hand.

I was in habbit of doing green smoothies for a long time. Love me some smoothies!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothie
    2 cups raw baby spinach
    1 whole banana
    1/4 cup - 1/2 cup fat free milk--until you get the consistency you like (I use Lactaid because I'm lactose intolerant)
    1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, peaches, blackberries, rasberries, whatever you like I've tried so many combinations already)

The frozen fruit acts like ice and makes the smoothie the perfect consistency. All together it's a little under 200 cals
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1/2 a pineapple
    2-3 cups greens (spinach, chard, or kale)
    1 banana
    1 naval orange
    1-2 tbps fresh grated ginger (goes great with pineapple and cut the bitterness if I use kale/chard)
    1 cup water
    1-2 cups ice

**I also add coconut oil (1-2 tbps) and or ground flax/chia seeds if I have the calories to spare/need more omegas and or good fats, etc. The all blend very well.

This makes a ton- full blender split between my husband and I.
  • pixieflitzy
    Options
    Avocado blends great with cocoa powder, coconut milk, and a sweetener.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm totally new to smoothies. I'm having some stomach problems, so my dr has temporarily taken me off of solid food in the morning, to help control symptoms until an actual dx is made. Anyway (sorry to digress) I've been doing fruit smoothies in the morning. Currently I'm having:

Banana
    Kiwi
    Pineapple
    Almond milk
    Hemp hearts

I love how it tastes, but it's definitely too much sugar. I'm not looking for any protein powders or anything, and I'm dairy-free... so what could I put in instead of some of the fruit? Spinach? (Please don't say kale ... I know it's healthy but I fricking hate that stuff)
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1 c almond milk (no sugar added - 30 cal)
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein (my favorite right now is Delicious Protein - it IS delicious)
    1 tbsp almond flour
    1 scoop greens+
    1/2 banana
    1 c frozen blueberries
    water and ice to taste depending on how thick/cold you like it.
  • kar1ey
    kar1ey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All fruit frozen:

1 banana (cut into chunks and then freeze for easy blending)
    1/2 cup mango
    1/2 cup pineapple
    1 cup of kale
    about 1/2-1 cup of water to get it all to blend

Taste so good and fruity, definitely my go-to breakfast smoothie!! It's about 140 calories.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies in the am... I am trying to get better about rotating my greens so I am not eating only spinach in my smoothies.

I also add 1/4 cup of raw rolled oats to my smoothies..... I like the fiber and I think it keeps me full way longer.....

Usually I blend 1 cup greens, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup oats. Blend, then add fruit (1 banana, 1 cup frozen fruit thawed) blend again.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    coconut milk (low fat)
    Ice
    Spinach
    grapes (just a few)
    YUM!
    Tried it with Kale once and I was having to swallow and chew it was kinda gross lol...too much kale maybe lol.....unless you have a ninja!!
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Banana
    Kiwi
    Pineapple
    Almond milk
    Hemp hearts

I love how it tastes, but it's definitely too much sugar. I'm not looking for any protein powders or anything, and I'm dairy-free... so what could I put in instead of some of the fruit? Spinach? (Please don't say kale ... I know it's healthy but I fricking hate that stuff)
    [/quote]

Spinach is definitely a good one - although it is deep green, it hardly has any flavor, so you still taste all the yummy fruits! Soy milk, cucumbers, plain oatmeal, and peanut butter are all good additions. Good luck!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well, this isn't going to be nearly as gourmet or full of superfoods, but I love it and have made it for my fiancee and I for a while now.

Two servings

1 banana
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein
    2 tbsp chunky peanut butter
    1 cup milk
    1-2 cups ice
    1-2 dashes vanilla extract (we use imitation)

Blend that sucker up and enjoy yourself a proteiny, majestic treat. It's a little like dessert and I'm sure we've eaten it that way before.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    spinach
    pomegranate seeds
    frozen strawberries
    red pear
    super foods powder
    almonds
    chia seeds
    water