Number Goals???

Options
bluiz13
bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
just curious about those who i read about on here...what are your end game goals??? where do you want to end up when you "finish" this part of the journey????

i'm still not sure where i want to be...i know i want to get to 199 more than anything in the world...i have been working towards that "number"/milestone since i started this process on 1/1/08 and have readjusted my goal "deadline" soooo many times...now it is just my goal...when i get there i get there....but then what??? not sure what my magic number is...guess i'll figure it out soon enough....

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I started at 314, I am currently about 275, and my ultimate goal would be 214 to be 100lbs, but I would be happy to stay around 225.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I keep bouncing between wanting to be 150 or 140. 140 is a healthy BMI weight for my height, but I've also never had a BMI below 30 probably since I was 14 so getting below 150 would be amazing. I'm going for a checkup in August and I figured I'd ask my doctor what she recommends based on my history and body and stuff. I'm not really picking a concrete number for now, when I'm happy, I'll stop. Might be 150, might be 135, who knows.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    congratulations on breaking 200!

i am fighting 30 years worth of accumulated issues, so i don't have any specific long-term goals--that's what has shot me down in the past. this time, i'm taking it day by day with a short-term plan for my next phase which is in about 20 more days. for me, i haven't set myself up for a fall this way, but that's just what works for me...
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    funny you ask about numbers. i was just talking to somebody about how i didn't set a specific 'number on the scale' goal or a specific 'date' to get there. that's what's different for me this time around. i just want to get to a healthy and comfortable place and i don't care when it happens. I have an idea of where i would like my weight to be, but it's a range of about 3-4lbs, and if i had set 'deadlines' on when to get to certain weights, i would have dissapointed myself. i am just happy to see an overall change in the right direction and i don't care how long it takes, cause i know this is for good this time!
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    My goal for now is 150. Every website and piece of paper I've seen has me at no more than 140 for a healthy weight, but about 18 years ago, I was down to 135, and I looked sick... cheeks sunken in, very gaunt looking. I may adjust the 150 up or down as I go, depending on how I look and feel. My biggest issue is I want results yesterday!! I need to learn to be patient and a little at a time is still a step in the right direction!! Best of luck to you, and great job so far!!!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I started at 265, my initial number goal is 190, which I haven't been at since high school and is still overweight according to the BMI. That's definitely not my end goal, but after 190 I'll be taking it a bit slower to listen to my body and see where I finally end up. I'm thinking I'll probably end up in the mid 170's, but after 190 I don't really care about the number, it's more about being in a good place for my body than the actual scale number or BMI.
  • BlackBeltLife
    Options
    Numbers are numbers........... Just a few thoughts on this one. You do want to set a goal and set a timeline. This will unleash your Subconscious to figure out how. The change is not just on the scale (which is where everyone wants to set a goal for.) Take measurements of the body, do the BMI, figure out your max workouts on a certain workout (ie how far can you run...how fast...how many push up sit up...you get the point) and also add the scale. Then set goals for each of these. You may not hit all of them but I bet you get 1 or 2 so you are on the right track. Too many people only set a goal for the scale and forget all the rest of the stuff (ie America's love of the Biggest Loser).

I can give you a for instance. My wife has not dropped 1 pound in probably 3 weeks, but yesterday she went shopping for our cruise and has dropped 2 dress sizes. Scale said one thing but her body say's something different. You will do fine, but do set goals and timelines. (If you don't know where you are going......how will you know when you get there?) Just my thoughts
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    The first thing I did was check my BMI and set my goal for "healthy." I'm now 7 pounds from that and I KNOW I won't be satisfied with my size and appearance once I get there. So I rethought it and set a goal for another 24 pounds from now - a nice round 75 lb total. It puts me more toward the middle of my healthy weight range.

It's all about where you feel good and are happy with yourself and are, of course, healthiest.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I started at 183 and thought :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that I was probably only 20 pounds overweight :laugh: :laugh:

The BMI charts suggested that I was at least 40 pounds overweight......since then I have adjusted my goal downward to 133 then 128 then 123 then 118 then 113 and now my goal is 110 (still within healthy BMI)

The readjustments have come from how my clothes fit and how many "jiggly parts" I still want to get rid of.

I have become fitness and health conscious through this journey and see myself in a completely new lifestyle filled with movement and free of recreational eating as a past-time. I have taken this journey one day at a time and the results have been amazing........on day one of this journey I could not have imagined the weight and lifestyle I have today. All I could see was that one day at a time I could plan healthy meals, post them, and stick to the plan.........I took baby steps to get where I am now.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss in January my weight was 204. My goal is to get to 150 by the end of the year. Every weight chart I look at tells me that I should be 145 at the highest, but right now I just want to get to 150. Chances are I will readjust and set a new goal when I get there.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My BIG number is 120! I started here at 145 and those first few pounds were easy. Once I get in the low 130s though it just seems to stick there and I always get frustrated and give up.
    This time, I've stuck with it, being more motivated than ever not to just get to 120, but to change my lifestyle for the better. It's truly a great experience !!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I started at 183 and thought :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that I was probably only 20 pounds overweight :laugh: :laugh:

The BMI charts suggested that I was at least 40 pounds overweight......since then I have adjusted my goal downward to 133 then 128 then 123 then 118 then 113 and now my goal is 110 (still within healthy BMI)

The readjustments have come from how my clothes fit and how many "jiggly parts" I still want to get rid of.

I have become fitness and health conscious through this journey and see myself in a completely new lifestyle filled with movement and free of recreational eating as a past-time. I have taken this journey one day at a time and the results have been amazing........on day one of this journey I could not have imagined the weight and lifestyle I have today. All I could see was that one day at a time I could plan healthy meals, post them, and stick to the plan.........I took baby steps to get where I am now.

I think BMI is an estimate, but its hugely unrealistic
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    when i started i thought that i wanted to drop just a few lbs to the mid to low 130s...but as i've seen changes and noticed how much happier i am with how my body feels and how clothes fit i've adjusted my goals and i'd like to land around 125-128 (i'm 5 ft 3.5 inches) :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set at 140 because the lowest I've gotten after gaining weight was 145 and my lowest was 128 but that was when I was a young teenager...so I figure 140 should be safe, it's within the healthy range for BMI. Right now, though, I'm focusing on just decreasing my body fat percentage because I want to be lean and fit and in shape rather than just slim.
  • PamelaHoneyHuggy
    PamelaHoneyHuggy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is good Shane. We just really want those nasty scales to change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Mom..Pamela
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    I want to be in the best shape of my life by my next birthday (May 16th). My goal is to be at 18-23% body fat
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    My starting weight was 247, current weight is 237 (after just over 3 weeks) and my goal is 159. That is the tip top of the healthy range for my height.

Once I hit that I will set a new goal but I just want to get myself to healthy weight first. :happy:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for your target weight is to watch your body fat. Forget about BMI because it's totally misleading. Healthy body fat is 18 to 25% for men and 23 to 30% for women if I remember well. Check the web for bf calculators and the supporting theory.
    In my case I have 23% bf which is pretty good, but my BMI is over 30 which puts me in the obese range.
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    I can't wait too see onederland. But my end goal is only a guestimate. It's been so long since I've been down to that small of a size that I feel like I'll know what a healthy weight for me is when I get there. I don't want to say 150 only to discover that it's just not a realistic goal for me that I'll never get to. I might but I think I'll know that for sure when I get there. Does that make sense?
  • 58Sunny
    58Sunny Posts: 13
    Options
    I started at 205 (the most I've ever weighed in my life). My Dr. wants me to lose 40 lbs, (HBP) that would put me at 165, which I think is too heavy so my personal goal is 140-150. I think that even sounds a little high for me. I'm 5' 8" & my friends think less than 150 would be too much. I guess I'll know when I get there. So far I've lost 8 lbs. & I can really tell a difference.