Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Instead of vodka and bacon, I eat bacon and vodka
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    There was a period of time where I had ice cream every night and, although it was really yummy, I always felt nauseous and guilty afterwards (I'm lactose intolerant).
    Now, I eat sugar free pudding (french vanilla, pistachio, chocolate) made with rice or soy milk and a few chocolate chips sprinkled over it, and I feel great! =)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating far too little at meal times, then bingeing on icecream when I can't contain myself any more, I eat bigger portions of savoury food. One thing calorie counting taught me was that a lot of my meals were far too low call (200-300kcal) when my TDEE is around 2500kcal.

Instead of eating anything passing, I decide whether something's flavour is worth the calories, eg, most homemade cakes are worth it, but many shop-bought ones aren't. This applies only when calorie counting, which I'm not right now.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    instead of pasta, zucchini "zoodles". Love them!
    Instead of rice, cauliflower "rice". Unless it's chinese food, then I eat just enough white rice to scoop the sauce.
    instead of pizza, meatza. Unless it's at one of my favorite places, then I just go for it.
    instead of soda, kombucha (except diet coke still calls my name!)
    instead of boxed broth, homemade broth
    instead of low fat, full fat everything
    instead of canola or vegetable oil, coconut oil
    instead of soy sauce, coconut aminos
    instead of peanut butter, fresh ground almond butter
    instead of candy, dark dark dark dark chocolate
    instead of crunchy snacks, sprouted trail mix
    instead of bread/rice/pasta/beans at dinner, double serving of veggies

instead of ice cream, there is none. I treat with a kid-size cone.
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    instead of bacon, I eat bacon. /thread
  • marytatton
    marytatton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was a completely addicted to Pepsi before I started losing weight.
    So, instead of drinking diet soda to substitute for it, I drink WATER.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Instead of a big lunch, I eat yogurt and nuts, and have a big, satisfying dinner.
    Instead of mashed potatoes/polenta/cheese grits, I eat mashed cauliflower (which works fantastic as a base for anything I'd put on those things).
    Instead of whole wheat waffles and bacon (our "old" weekend brunch), I eat flaxmeal buckwheat waffles with banana or pumpkin, and turkey breakfast sausage.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Instead of sourcream... I use plain greek yogurt
    Instead of creamy ranch dips... I use hummus or red pepper spread
    Instead of vegetable oil...I use coconut oil
    Instead of milk...I use almond milk
    Instead of bread...I use rice thin cakes for my almond butter
    Instead of pop, iced tea and juice...I drink LOTS of water, and herbal/green tea - I think this change has had the most impact on my weight loss, I used to drink 3+ sugary drinks a day. Also, my skin is so clear and vibrant now!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Instead of 4 slices of bacon, I eat 2 slices of bacon

Instead of an 8 oz burger, I eat a 6 oz burger

Instead of 2 Tbsp of butter, I eat 1 Tbsp of butter

Instead of 2 or 3 ounces of Tillamook sharp cheddar, I eat 1 Oz of Tillamook sharp cheddar....

And so on and so forth.

Love
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    instead of a massive bowl of ice cream, I eat a smaller bowl of ice cream. unless I killed it at the gym that day. then all bets are off.

(point is, there's no reason to rid your diet of a food you love. just remember moderation.)

YES! When I had a bowl of ice cream, I had a BOWL of ice cream. Now I weigh it to fit my remaining calories for the day.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Rice cake pizzas, FTW.
    Somebody kill me now.

That is just so wrong to use the words "rice cake" and "pizza" together.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I couldn't agree more about the pizza thing. if you want pizza eat pizza if not eat a rice cake! ;-) i lighten up carbs not so much for the weight loss as much as my body has never gotten along very well with high carb
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Instead of white bread, I eat Healthy Life's 35 calorie/5 carb whole grain bread.
    Instead of whole milk, I drink 1% or skim. Not a huge difference per cup, but since I used to drink an average of about 14 cups of milk/day (yeah, dairy "addict" - but I'm under half of that now), it would make a 140-420 calorie difference (depending on 1%/skim).

EDIT - instead of massive amounts of junk, I eat a small junky snack, and more fruit and veggies.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    instead of FOOD I DON'T LIKE, i eat FOOD I DO LIKE.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    PS What is spaghetti squash? Is it just butternut squash cut like regular (pasta) spaghetti and quickly boiled?? I love pasta so this would be a great swap

That seems really difficult to pull off! Spaghetti squash is the actually name of the squash. You halve it, clean it out, then roast it, just as you would any other squash. Once it is cooked, you pull it out if the skin with your fork, and comes out in spaghetti-like strands. Definitely a calorie-wise alternative--I've had it before and it tastes good. That being said, it tastes like squash, not like spaghetti.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Swap soda for carbonated water
  • andersc2
    andersc2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Instead of a massive bowl of ice cream, I eat it in a cone
    Instead of eating out, I pack my lunch
    Instead of peanut butter, I have laughing cow cheese on my celery
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Instead of 2 or 3 ounces of Tillamook sharp cheddar, I eat 1 Oz of Tillamook sharp cheddar....

I miss Tillamook soooooo much, it is so lame that it does not exist on the east coast, or at least I haven't found it yet....yum
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Instead of butter, I eat coconut oil.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Instead of tofu and other "fake" meat products, I eat healthy animal products.

Instead of non/low/reduced fat products, I eat full fat versions of everything.

Instead of "butter substitute" or "spread", I eat real butter.

Instead of unhealthy vegetable oils, I eat healthy fats such as coconut oil, butter, animal fats, avocado, avocado oils, olive oils.

Instead of grains, pasta, and bread, I eat veggies.
  • didifournierblais
    didifournierblais Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Instead of 4 slices of bacon, I eat 2 slices of bacon

Instead of an 8 oz burger, I eat a 6 oz burger

Instead of 2 Tbsp of butter, I eat 1 Tbsp of butter

And so on and so forth.

Sounds a lot like me! Don't want to replace anything I like eating, just control the quantities I eat. :drinker: