BodyMedia FIT LINK Armband - is it worth it?

Hi there-
I am toying with the idea of buying a new "toy". I really don't want to spend $100 but I feel like I need SOMETHING to motivate me. I've had a fitbit in the past and that really got me to get moving. Was I just brainwashed by too many episodes of The Biggest Loser, and their subliminal messages that I now feel almost compelled to know what my "burn" is?

I want to know if the BodyMedia Fit Link Armband is worth it? Or if there is another "gadget" that has helped you on your weight loss journey, please share.

Thanks.
Tricia

Replies

• marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Have you tried striiv? It's free, and might put off the gadget need for at least a week or two.
    Some other mfp'ers and I race and compete against each day for steps. Having other people to compete against in real time helps keep me going. No arm band, so I usually just try to keep my phone in my pocket.
  • TriciaMcLink
    TriciaMcLink Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks. I'm going to check it out now. Thanks again.Tricia
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    I have one and I absolutely LOVE it. I wore it for about 4 months straight after I bought it about a year and a half ago, and then fell off the wagon after a long chest-cold that knocked me off my workout routine. I wore it off and on for a bit after that, and finally found it again after our move into our new (old) house. I've been wearing it constantly ever since. Frankly, it's so addicting that I actually hate taking it off to charge / sync it, or when I need to "dress up" and don't want the outline of it to show under my sleeve.

Because it syncs to your phone with a push of it's little button, you can get instant feedback on any activity you're doing or give you a running total for the day if you're counting calories and want to know where you are BEFORE your workout or meal. The newest obsession I have with it is looking at my sleep cycle. I work a very demanding, long-houred, job and then I come home and toss and turn at night. Clearly, this doesn't help with my weight loss or energy...so for the past few weeks I've been checking my sleeping patterns and have found that I come out of sleep (usually tossing one way or the other in bed, etc) up to 19 (NINTEEN!!!!!!) times a night. Not good considering I rarely get over 7 hours a night, and often less.

So yes, it's an awesome gadget, and it really, honest-to-goodness, works (I'm not getting paid to say that!). I paid $249 for mine...if you can get it for $100, it's a steal! :)
  • lethomp
    lethomp Posts: 7 Member
    I second Spinderella's comments! I have one as well, and I absolutely love it. It is addicting.

I had a Fitbit before, but wasn't comfortable with the calorie estimates. I wanted a more accurate calorie burn measurement, and I feel I have that with the Bodymedia.

If you sync it with MFP, it's great at helping you how active you need to be in order to offset that doughtnut you just couldn't resist earlier in the day and still maintain your desired calorie deficit.

To get the full benefit, I would strongly suggest getting the Link version if you go this route. It's nice to be able to see where you stand at any point in the day via the bluetooth connection with a smartphone.

LT
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    I LOVE mine. I wear it all the time. It's SO motivating knowing what you're burning, and I can vouch for it being pretty accurate for me at least. Last week I went to have a DEXA scan done. It calculated my RMR at 1790 calories. The day before, I had stayed in bed and only gotten up for the toilet and water as I was unwell, and my BMF told me 1900 calories. Fantastic accuracy, amazing tool.
  • keeleen
    keeleen Posts: 93
    I just bought one, and just thought I'd let you know, if you do decide to buy it, and if you buy it online at bodymedia.com use this promo code BMFIT15. It gave me a discount, and with shipping and all my total was $114 something, so it was cheaper than the sale price of $119. Good luck on your decision! =)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Will this help

For anyone interested, Body Media is currently selling the Link armband on Amazon for $99. This is the lowest price it has ever been - at least on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049POHK6/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm jealous. In the UK we can only use the older Advantage model and its 127 POUNDS with only 1 month membership!!!
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    I got one recently and I really like it. Is it necessary? No, not at all, but it's a fun little toy to have at your disposal. I've had mine about a month and I really like seeing how my daily activity level plays into my burn for the day.
  • TriciaMcLink
    Thank you everyone! Okay, one question...does it get annoying on your arm for that long? I bought this armband thing to hold my phone, and I'm wearing it now. Did the bb feel heavy to you? Did you just get used to it? Or was it light?
    Thanks again everyone!
    Tricia
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    I don't even notice it there, so much so that I've accidentally left it on when getting into the shower once or twice.
  • I'm glad someone asked this because I've been wondering the same thing. My last question is, do you have to have the subscription? Or can you use it for free solely with your phone?
  • TriciaMcLink
    Thank you everyone! Okay, one question...does it get annoying on your arm for that long? I bought this armband thing to hold my phone, and I'm wearing it now. Did the bb feel heavy to you? Did you just get used to it? Or was it light?
    Thanks again everyone!
    Tricia
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    I LOVE mine. I got it a week ago, and weighed in yesterday and lost 4.8 lbs. Just sayin... (ok I also started seeing a trainer then too). It makes me move more, it's fun to see the burn. I've been having random dance parties with my children. I would recommend if you have a costco membership getting it there. It's 120 but comes with a one year subscription, which puts it at a better price than amazon or the bodymedia store.

My husband thought it was so stupid when I bought it and was complaining about the money, and less than a week later he thinks he needs one now too.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    You do need a subscription but its peanuts really. I don't notice it on my arm but a few people have said its gives them red marks. Be ause its winter I'm wearing long sleeves which I just scrunch up. No one has commented in it. I work in schools and believe me, kids would say something if they noticed it.
  • TriciaMcLink
    I love that your husband feels he needs one two. Hilarious!
  • TriciaMcLink
    I did try out the Striiv today. It has definitely motivated me to hit the treadmill since I am still not at 10, 000 steps.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    My husband and I both have one and absolutely LOVE them. They are SO worth the money and keeps me on track more than when I was trying on my own.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I love mine! I've had it for a year and it's definitely helped me stay on track to maintain my 65 lb loss!
  • TriciaMcLink
    and I love that you have random dance parties with the kids. We had one tonight. My kids love Gangam Style. They would dance for 2 hours JUST to that song!
  • TriciaMcLink
    Wow! 65 pounds! That's awesome! Congrats.