How to get over the Plateau???

Options
I am having a really hard time staying motivated b/c I have plateaued. I have been fluctuating through the same 5 pounds for 3 months! I have recently added strength training in the past month to change it up, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to see some real progress? I feel like I am at a standstill and need something to push me over the edge!

Thanks!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wrote this about 2 years ago but it's still relevant I think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Cheat. Go way over on your calories. I know it sounds weird, but it works. Your body is so used to the amount of calories that it has stabilized itself. Shock it. It worked for me. (the first time I was on here) I'm back at it though, the first time I lost 44 and got stuck at a plateau and I was bad one week and thought I ruined everything and next thing you know I got on the scale, and lost 2 pounds!
  • tracilee6978
    Options
    Someone told me to eat bad at one meal or for one day (not overboard). But--have a hamburger or some pizza or something. Apparently, it shocks your body. I also incorporated kickboxing and Crossfit into my workout routine. Both of these workouts always give me a completely different workout so my body is always surprised. If you do the same workout on the same days at the same time--your body gets used to it and stops losing weight. So switch up the exercise routine and switch up your diet a bit. Let me know what happens.
  • charlynette73
    Options
    Zumba?:wink:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! Your body has to adjust to the new weight. A plat will break when your body figures out that you're not in a time of famine, and that its not going to starve. Keep doing what you're doing and be patient. My plat lasted almost 7 months! You can try adding different foods, different meal times, etc to shake up the metabolism.

And I also found that adding 500 - 600 mg of Vit C in a.m. and p.m. helped.

Good luck and be persistant....you can outlast the plat!

Edit: forgot to say that I've also heard that upping your calorie intake by 10% for a week or two can help to bust them.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    Cheat. Go way over on your calories. I know it sounds weird, but it works. Your body is so used to the amount of calories that it has stabilized itself. Shock it. It worked for me. (the first time I was on here) I'm back at it though, the first time I lost 44 and got stuck at a plateau and I was bad one week and thought I ruined everything and next thing you know I got on the scale, and lost 2 pounds!

It doesn't even have to be a week. A day or two of increasing your food intake will do wonders for you. Then get right back on and start kicking butt again. :smile:
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Do not give up! I actually just recently went through the same thing. I was going back and forth 5lbs for a month in a half. After being..somewhat lazy..and eating kinda terrible, i broke the plateau. I know it sounds crazy but it worked for me. I wouldn't suggest it being a habit though. Don't give up. EVERYONE has plateaued somewhere in their journey, you are not alone!