Your BMI %

Options
13»

Replies

• AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I dislike BMI immensely. Although it is good to track SOMETHING, this is really a bad number to look at, especially if you are muscular. For example, the gentleman that said he plans to drop his BMI back down to 22 and then gain muscle and hopefully stay at the same number would have to grow in inches to stay at the same number...unless he meant BF%, and in that case, my bad.

As you gain muscle (and your weight increases), your BMI also increases. A person can have a high BMI with a low BF% if they develop enough muscle. For example. My BF % is 26, but my BMI is 28.9. So I am almost obese for BMI, but merely 12 pounds or so from my goal weight.

Does a drop in BMI show loss? Absolutely! So be proud if it has dropped! Is it an accurate measure of your overall health? Absolutely not. There are better methods to check overall health...
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Started at 32.2 (obese for my height) as of today I am 22.8 (normal) and I strength train 5x a week.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Last year:
    Starting BMI: 29.5
    Starting BF%: 44%

From Jan 2013:
    Starting BMI: 29.3
    Starting BF% 31.9%

Currently:
    BMI: 27.3
    BF%: 25%
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I dislike BMI immensely. Although it is good to track SOMETHING, this is really a bad number to look at, especially if you are muscular. For example, the gentleman that said he plans to drop his BMI back down to 22 and then gain muscle and hopefully stay at the same number would have to grow in inches to stay at the same number...unless he meant BF%, and in that case, my bad.

As you gain muscle (and your weight increases), your BMI also increases. A person can have a high BMI with a low BF% if they develop enough muscle. For example. My BF % is 26, but my BMI is 28.9. So I am almost obese for BMI, but merely 12 pounds or so from my goal weight.

Does a drop in BMI show loss? Absolutely! So be proud if it has dropped! Is it an accurate measure of your overall health? Absolutely not. There are better methods to check overall health...

Agree. Assuming I maintain lean mass, my 20% BF goal puts me 10lbs overweight on the BMI.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    33.5 to 21.7 :smooched:
  • xxstormynightsxx
    Options
    Such a great idea! Just saw I went from 24.0 to 20.7!! Great job everyone, this is so exciting:))))
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone down 6.6 from 34.7 to 28.1
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Started March 1, 2013 at 41.2 and now I am at 30.5.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!