Hair care after work out?

Options
I have curly thick hair and I feel like since i wash my hair every day it dries out. I'm using leave in conditioner any other suggestions??

Replies

• moonlitdreams2
    Options
    I have curly thick hair and I feel like since i wash my hair every day it dries out. I'm using leave in conditioner any other suggestions??

Try Coconut Oil
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    Can you just rinse it out, maybe add conditioner? Or try dry shampoo.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My hair gets dry if I wash it every day, too. So I actually skip a day, sometimes two, in between washes.
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I tried just rinsing out my glorious sweat :( But it feels so greasy. I always use conditioner.
    What's dry shampoo? :)
  • xtina1129
    xtina1129 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wash it every 2- 3 days, (curly, dry, damaged hair). I use coconut oil over night, and wash the following morning, with shampoo, no conditioner. But then use leave in or Moroccan oil when damp. My hair doesn't get oily really ( too much damage from yrs of bleach), but if it does from working out I use dry shampoo.
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have very curly hair and workout 6 days/wk and pour sweat! In the shower, use your fingers to manipulate your scalp in the same manner as if you were using shampoo. This lifts the sweat and oil and surface dirt. Then just use conditioner on the ends. Some curly girls(sometimes myself, also) use only conditioner; they use it as shampoo, rinse and then apply it to the ends. There is a book called Curly Girl and this is the way they recommend caring for your curls, anyways. I usually use shampoo only once a week.
    Side note: I had a client once(I'm in the hair care industry) who lived in an intentional community and never used shampoo or conditioner for 6yrs! She manipulated the scalp like she was using shampoo to keep the scalp clean. Overshampooing can lead to excessive oil production, because your body is in freak out mode because you keep removing the oil it puts there. It may take some time to even itself out, if you start skipping days. My curls are waay better on the non-shampoo days.
  • moonlitdreams2
    Options

I tried just rinsing out my glorious sweat :( But it feels so greasy. I always use conditioner.
    What's dry shampoo? :)

Look up Wen Dry Shampoo
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My hair is super damaged, and is wavy/curly. I use dry shampoo, and spot wash - I only wash my bangs, or my temples then immediately blow dry.

Do you work out every day? What's your schedule for working out? What's more important to look ~good at - work, school, days off? How many days are you trying to go without?

I have worked out/washed my hair, next day work out and spot wash my bangs and/or use dry shampoo, then day three would work out and pull my hair back and wear a big head band. Or day one work out then shower, day two not work out/use dry shampoo, day three work out, dry shampoo and spot wash/blow dry, then day four dry shampoo/spot wash and work out at the end of the day before bed or at a time where after I could just go home and not do anything.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Don't wash it every day! It's horrible for your hair! But if you feel like you really have to, I'd say deep condition it once a week, and use a serum along with that leave-in conditioner. It'll help seal in the moisture :)
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    Dry shampoo comes in a can - you spray it on like hairspray then brush out. It soaks up the oil so you can get an extra day without washing.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You could also use less shampoo - even mix it with a bit of water - and concentrate on lathering your scalp - like, think of it more as a scalp massage - and then just pass the suds through the length and ends kind of quickly. Then focus on the ends with conditioner.

(& use a moisturizing shampoo & conditioner, obviously)
  • cu015821
    cu015821 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have tried many dry shampoos and my current favorite is "Enjoys"
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely do NOT want to wash my hair every day that's for darn sure.

I do work out 5x a week. I've tried rinsing out the sweat. but i am going to give a go on the conditioner again :) ty you all
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm half black and half white and my hair has a mind of it's own. It gets really dry from the chemicals and heat I put to it. When I wash it, I let the conditioner sit in there for like an hour then rinse it out. I use a coconut oil on my hair when I straighten it. It's made a huge difference, my fiance noticed the difference too and pointed out to me that my hair was much softer.
  • danahouseholderr
    danahouseholderr Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would say the quickest fix and best suggestion on here is dry shampoo.

I have very thick, curly, and colored hair so I can only wash it every 2-3 days or else the color will rinse right out of my hair and it looks even more damaged. I work out 5x a week and will wear my hair up in a pony tail and pin back my bangs. When in the shower I only spot wash parts of my bangs if necessary and the hair near my neck. In between washes I'll use a dry shampoo to freshen up my hair and keep it from looking greasy.

I've tried many drugstore brand dry shampoos and Dove and Suave are the best in my opinion. These range from $2-4 and you can get them at Walmart, Target, etc. I wouldn't buy the Tresemme brand because that one was really weak and would work for 30 minutes and then my hair got greasy again. I'm sure Sally's or other beauty supply stores have better options but the affordable ones do the job just fine I think. However, the only issue with dry shampoo is if you spray too much, it will really dry your hair out. So just start with a little bit as you can always spray more!

Another thing I do when my hair is getting a little dirty/needs to be washed is I'll wear it up in a cute braid or bun and pin my bangs back :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have to wash my hair everyday because of my workout schedule. I use coconut milk shampoo.
  • laceymcmath
    Options
    I wash my hair every morning, because if I don't it looks, well, *interesting*, haha. But I don't workout until afternoon, and I found that if I shampoo twice a day my hair gets SUPER dry. So, after working out I just rinse it and then blow dry it... it actually gets nicely wavy and soft. I kind of like my post-workout hair better than pre-workout now. =)
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I wish my hair wouldn't dry up if I washed it everyday, but it does. So I use TIGI Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo in between washing and it works well.