Shin splints a week before my first 5k!

Options
2»

Replies

• KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Ya just check Amazons reviews, thats usually the best way to go.

Ok. I looked at a few on Amazon. Yikes. Is it common to pay $30+ for a part of a shoe?
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How do people keep their heads from exploding while shopping for shoes?

That's the beauty of barefeet. You don't need to buy any!
    (not strictly true unless you live somewhere very warm or are tough enough to run barefoot in the cold)

That actually made me lol. I was picturing myself trying to run barefoot on caliche rock, thorny weeds, and cacti. Barefoot may work on soft fluffy green grass or a sandy beach, but neither exist where I live.

For the record, I am fascinated with the idea. I just don't think it would be practical for me in the shape that I'm in or the location I'm in. I'd want to try it sometime, though.

For the record I live in Tokyo and was running on the roads so trust me, I know it's not always ideal. And after a few months I caved and bought minimalist shoes so I don't actually run barefoot anymore. I'm not saying it's for everyone but I just know that my other running attempts have all ended with excruciating knee problems. For me the barefoot thing really helped with that. I'm now running 30km a week (3 runs) having built up from no running ability at all previously.

I'm probably in the worst shape around (started in Jan at 340lbs and 5''7. Now 310 and I also am three years out from severing my Achilles' tendon). That said, the barefoot running (I use Vibrams KMD LS) has pretty much saved my life. I've raced in a 5k (and one 7k) every two weeks since mid-January with minimal (read normal) aching afterward. I could hardly walk for 15 minutes in expensive custom orthotics or other pricey sneakers before these shoes. I'd recommend them to anyone at any level. I'd probably sell Vibrams my first born child. Lol
  • diabloben68
    Options

Ya just check Amazons reviews, thats usually the best way to go.

Ok. I looked at a few on Amazon. Yikes. Is it common to pay $30+ for a part of a shoe?

Ya they can be pricey. I paid 15 for mine, but I think there are better for just a little more.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough calcium.

I get shin splints if I haven't eaten enough calcium, I have supplements for when I do get shin splints.

(It's not always because of the shoes!)
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough calcium.

I get shin splints if I haven't eaten enough calcium, I have supplements for when I do get shin splints.

(It's not always because of the shoes!)

Might want to hold off on that calcium. My father-in-law and cousin are both medical researchers and recently warned me about calcium. I've cut out my calcium supplements since then.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120523200752.htm

"But when the analysis looked at vitamin/mineral supplements, it found that those who took calcium supplements regularly were 86% more likely to have a heart attack than those who didn't use any supplements."
  • laynerdm
    laynerdm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Does your school have a Wellness Center? If so, they may be able to do gait testing and shoe analysis. Many specialty shoe stores do this too, but their goal is to sell you shoes. What constitutes the "right shoe" depends on a lot of individual factors like arch height and pronation. What's good for one person may not be good for their neighbor. If you do try barefoot style running, it is often advised that you start small and build. No more than 10% of your miles at first, then build up each week or two.