Ways to get Protein (without stovetop or oven)

Options
I'm noticing I'm having a very hard time getting my protein count up. I'm looking for food items I can use to get my protein up while keeping salt intake down. I don't have a stovetop or an oven available but do have a Microwave and Toaster oven. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Should also note I do not like Whey Protein so that is also out.

Replies

• queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Have you tried soy protein or egg white protein? Soy has a different taste than whey & isn't bad. You might be able to find a "sample packet" to try first to see if you like it. How about hard boiled eggs? I found an egg cooker that you put in the microwave with eggs in shell & a bit of water so they get cooked like hard boiled without needed a stove. Try googling "foods high in protein" & see if you can come up with more ideas. Actually, this is something I'm going to do - I also am falling short on my protein. Good luck
  • 27jynx11
    27jynx11 Posts: 16
    Options
    Try protein supplements, you can get them from any shop that sells sports nutrition. Sci-MX do some that also aid in weight loss, and help get toned. I buy mine online from a company called dolphin fitness had great service from them too.
  • leanneb205
    Options
    I usually get frozen fish fillets which i can cook in the microwave for about 5 mins.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you can buy tinned beans in water (not salted) you could make a nice bean salad. Or if you buy beans in salt water give them a very good wash, but it would be better to track down some unsalted ones.
  • thomas127
    thomas127 Posts: 32
    Options
    You could always buy a cheap gas cooker and cook a heap of meat and put it in freezer bags. But a whey protein is easiest.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    low-sodium cottage cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, non-whey protein powder (i use PlantFusion), protein bars, edamame, overnight oats (oats, yogurt, milk, sweetener, vanilla, chia seeds). I'm vegetarian, but I remember seeing ackages of lw sodium beef or turkey jerky that are like crazy high in protein. I usually have between 130-175g of protein a day-feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, cold lean chicken, yoghurt, low fat milk, eggs - omelette etc.. tinned fish of various descriptions, tinned tuna, low fat meat patties (can be cooked in microwave), baked beans, beans in general...
    may be invest in a microwave cook book or use google. sounds like you may need to be creative
  • murphinchina
    Options
    Don't know how good the toaster oven is, but here's my go to. Put a little flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt and cajun seasoning in a Tupperware-like container. (If you have 2, keep a supply in one and bread the chicken in the other.) 1 or 2 boneless chicken breasts, a little wet with water, olive oil, egg wash... whatever's easiest for you. Cover the chicken with the flour mix, pop it in the toaster oven for 30 minutes (maybe more depending on the power). Wrap it in a couple of slices of bacon if you really want to. Smells great, tastes great and I CAN'T stay below my protein goal. (I can never eat just one!)

Not trying to be contrary but my first impulse it for food, as opposed to supplements, to round out my nutritional needs. I do take a multivitamin and Omega 3 supplement but, for me, food is a much more interesting and satisfying way to meet my nutritional needs.

Using the tupperware and putting aluminum foil down in the toaster over make clean-up a snap (did that sound like a commercial?). If you really want a protein shake... heck, I don't know. I don't understand, with cheese milk and meat in the world how people can NOT get enough protein! ;-)
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    They make chicken patties that you can cook in a toaster. Meat pies can be done in the toaster oven too. Get a George Foreman!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Microwave egg whites
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    some cheese, greek yogurt, tuna...
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I make my eggs in the microwave on the days I'm too lazy to use the stove. It's easy!