Inputting food & exercise BEFORE you do it

Options
Do you find it easier to be disciplined (sticking to your targets) when you load MFP early in the day? Maybe the whole thing?

Replies

• FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Very much so! I don't always know what Im having but the days where I plan ahead and log it all, it is so much easier to stick to.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I find that if I preload everything in the day or a few days ahead I am more likely to eat better. I still eat well winging it some days but for most part I like to log ahead. I am a planner so planning just works for me. mainly do it the night before
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    Yes, I often plan & log food night before but never register exercise until I've done it.
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Definitely!!! Need to plan what i eat in the morning otherwise i go over, especially if i'm heading out for dinner with friends. exercise i post after- its kind of like a mini reward.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I log all my food before eating
    it helps me to think about it
    due to health I cant always exercise - so I log it after it is done as to include it and then have to take it out is just too difficult as it signals to me I have not achieved - but by logging it after it shows I have achieved and that is better for me
    H x
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    Yep I always try to log my food the night before or first thing that morning, that way you know where you are against target for that day both against calories and macros, its definitely the way forward
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Do you find it easier to be disciplined (sticking to your targets) when you load MFP early in the day? Maybe the whole thing?

I find it better to plan the whole day in advance as I can see if I am short on any protein/fats and tweak accordingly,
  • illwillie
    illwillie Posts: 19
    Options
    That's kind of hard for me to do but I watch it more heavily when I'm approaching the negatives like sodium, cholesterol and to many carbs. Just do what's best for you.
  • davidwgold
    Options
    The only thing I input before is my food and that's because each week I make myself a meal plan, mainly because I have such a restricted budget I like to plan my meals and then go out and buy only the things I need for those, so in a way it has helped but it's much more a financial thing rather than a sticking to targets although I do make sure what I pick to have is within my daily limits!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Make the plan, stick to the plan. Easy-peasy.
  • taalcorn
    taalcorn Posts: 6
    Options
    I've only been doing it for 2 weeks so far, but I tend to just fill it in after I eat or exercise. I'm averaging less than 1500 calories/day so far, so it's working for me.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I log all food beforehand, and exercise as I go.
  • ElenakiFra
    ElenakiFra Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yew i allways do that.I use it like schedule.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log my food when I am able to but I never log excercise until it has been completed.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Food, yes. Exercise, no, but since I tend to do exercise in the morning anyway, it works out well anyway.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yes I log each days food and exercise in the morning - that way I can allocate the exercise calories out over the course of the day and not be in that ludicrous situation of needing to eat spoonfuls of peanut butter in the evening to meet the calorific goal.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I plan my food as best as possible on a Sunday for the entire week. I adapt through the week but input it in advance.

I don't log exercise until I've done it because I don't know what my calorie burn is in advance. I also use a FitBit so that does automatic updates too.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    definatly! i always pre-log.. i find it allows me to hit my macros pretty perfectly :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I plan my weekly menus in advance for grocery-shopping purposes, so it's pretty easy for me to have my meals planned for the next day before I go to bed. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of it, helps me make sure I'm hitting my targets, and helps me make sure that I have room for other things...like wine and dessert :drinker: Sometimes I pre-log my exercise as a motivator to get it done (it shows up on my feed), but I don't count exercise calories (I do TDEE -20%) so it doesn't really affect what I'm eating for the day.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I prelog the food I know about (breakfast, lunch, protein shakes) most days, and add dinner if I know what it will be. Otherwise I balance dinner around what I've got left in terms of macros and calories, which can lead to some slightly weird meals!

I have a pretty good idea of my intended exercise burn each workout day, so I mentally log that and plan food accordingly (I do cardio in the evenings) and then log it in MFP once I know the exact details. If I'm doing non-workout exercise (walking to the cinema etc) I'll prelog that so, again, I can plan food through the day.