Do the changes ever become permanent?

Options
So i have read a lot into changing lifestyle, eating healthier, exercising...
I have lost 40 lbs, but that took conscious effort. I was just wondering if the "life style" changes become permanent, and second nature...and when has this occurred for you?

I have been off the wagon for a while and I keep thinking to myself "it is just easier to just eat what I want"...I am just wondering if it gets easier eating healthy, exercising...does it take a few years? 5 years? 10? never? what do you think?

Replies

• afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know i was wondering the same thing, ive lost about 20ibs but its taken so much effort......

What i can say is that it takes 6-8 weeks to develop a habit (read that somewhere dont quote me on it)
    When i gave up fizzy drinks FOR GOOD and switched to water....it seemed odd and i was really conscious of it. NOW i don't even get cravings.....so...i think there will be certian foods you know you shouldnt have and will try and resist but never quite get over..., but if youve consciously worked to change one small thing, itll probably develop into second nature.

same with crisps actually....i was a crisp fiend.....And i no longer eat them AT ALL. (again it took me about 6 weeks)

Thats just my 2 cents....
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 2007, built muscles and was very toned. I maintained the weight, exercised and ate clean for 2.5 years. Unfortunately sometime in the middle 2009 I slipped again to bad habits. Although I exercised regularly and daily, it was not enough to compensate for eating out, eating bread in restaurants, suddenly walking less as new work was only accessible by car etc. All that and my mindset that "we live just once" made me gain those 30 lbs back again. So I am here now in 2013 and determined to change that and get back on track. I hope this time for good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    "it is just easier to just eat what I want"

this!

it IS easier to just be 'normal' as the phrase goes, 'if you eat like the average person, you will look like the average person'... well in the uk the average woman is a size 16, so thats a no for me!

I think its all about finding the right balance... i do this for 2 reasons, one because my mum is riddled with diseases (and morbidly obese) and i dont want to be like that... so that keeps me picking up an apple every day and plenty of veg in each meal... but also, i just wanna look good! which generally stops me reaching for the chocolate/cake/pastry/pasta every time i fancy it!

everything in moderation. i know i am a hundred time healthier and fitter than i was 2 years ago before i found MFP, i am still not 'there' yet as i would like to reduce my BF% a fair bit more... but i also want to enjoy my life and be able to go out now and then... so its finding that balance between enough exercise and good food to look good, and enjoying myself!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    the most success you'll have is enjoying the changes you make, this is why i don't understand why people go for stuff they don't like.

diet is about moderation and balance just because while you're losing weight you can't have junk food when you've lost it and you're happy you wont binge away all your work, you can have a treat every now and then.

personally as a person at mid BMI most of my life i have about 1 takeaway a month, if that sometimes, i don't miss it, i wouldn't put my last £7 into a mcdonalds, i could quite easily eat it everyday, but i choose not to, i'd rather have a decent meal in me.

when you can get to that point where you can literally take or leave food like that, you'll know you're 'cured' in mind as well as body, getting there is just having the right attitude towards food and your body
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You have to bear in mind, eating to loose weight and eating to maintain are different. You won't be eating the same when you are maintaining, but you do need to keep the healthy eating up.

It's not a change for a few months to shift the pounds, it's a change for life
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    For me it became a habit after 6 months.

You need to find the right balance between eating "healthy" and allowing yousrelf treats.

My experience is when people "fall off the wagon" it's becasue they're too rigorous with themselves and buckle under the pressure.

There's no need for extremes.

:smile:
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    also to add you're at a point where you've lost 40lbs and your goal is another... 60ish? when you get to that and you see how much better you look and feel you'll know why you did it, the affirmation of your hard work will be in the mirror, how people treat you and on the scales when you can hop on them and say 150 ;)

all it takes is eating healthy foods you enjoy and it wont be a problem, who would miss mcdonalds over a good steak?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just when I think it is getting easier and manageable all hell break loose and I'm back to square one. Personally, I dont think it will ever be permanent. I think being as large as I am that the body actually strives to maintain obesity and weight loss will always be fighting an uphill battle.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    you wont be 'dieting' your whole life, you will start maintaining your weight at some point :) try to find healthy recipes and forms of exercising that you enjoy!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    your body is built to adapt.

Eat a very low calorie diet? Your body adapts by reducing lean body mass and adaptive thermogensis, so you can survive on less food. Your body will try its best to store more fat as that's more useful to survive a prolonged food shortage (though if the calories are very low it's not going to manage to do much of that, and will need to burn fat, but will try to do this as slowly as it can get away with.... and there's a limit to how far the body can adapt, eat way to little and it can't adapt enough and you die)

Work out with weights? Your body adapts by strengthening your muscles and bones - through neurological adaptations, and also by increasing the amount of muscle tissue (the latter requires eating at a calorie surplus and sufficient protein, and happens more in men than women) - your bone density increases (providing you're getting enough calcium). Additionally, the body will direct any calorie surplus into muscle more than storing fat, and in a calorie deficit, while the body can't build new muscle, it will burn fat and maintain muscle mass while also improving neurological pathways so strength gains are possible and the body will burn fat to make up the deficit, up to a point (lean body mass losses can still happen while doing strength training in people who are already very lean)

Eat too much? Your body stores the excess as fat, because millions of evolution has resulted in bodies that are always prepared in case there's a food shortage, because that's what enabled your ancestors to survive. So even if you've never experienced a food shortage, your body will adapt as though it's likely, because your ancestors had plenty of food shortages.

Sit on your backside all day? Your body will metabolise unused muscle mass as it's surplus to requirements. Again, always prepared in case there's a food shortage, it's not going to direct energy or protein into tissue that's surplus to requirements.

..........none of these changes are permanent, they're all ways in which your body adapts to whatever you are putting it through. There is a limit to how much it can adapt, a man will get stronger than a woman in the same circumstances due to having more testosterone, and your body can only adapt so much to a food shortage, it can't keep adapting indefinitely, death from starvation will result if it goes on too long or the food shortage is too severe............... however the body will adapt to what you put it through, so if you do a healthy eating and exercise programme, get stronger and leaner as a result, then you have to continue with the healthy eating and exercise programme to maintain the changes. If you go back to being a couch potato, your body will adapt to being a couch potato, i.e. metabolising any muscle that's not being used, and storing any excess calories as fat.

This is why it's SO important, if you want to lose fat and keep it off for life, that you make sustainable changes in your life. The best programme is the one that you will stick to, provided it also involves nourishing your body properly, a calorie deficit, and an exercise programme that works the muscles and bones well enough to strengthen them. To maintain, you do the exact same things, but remove the calorie deficit (i.e. eat all your TDEE calories) so that the weight stays the same while the exercise and healthy eating keep your bones and muscles strong.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Just when I think it is getting easier and manageable all hell break loose and I'm back to square one. Personally, I dont think it will ever be permanent. I think being as large as I am that the body actually strives to maintain obesity and weight loss will always be fighting an uphill battle.

I think it will get easier for you eventually. :) look how far you've come already!
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes after a while my food cravings changed, and so did my mentality about food. I can still eat huge portions of high calorie foods but realize the work required to burn it off now, and most times decide that its just not worth it. Go into this with the thought that you are changing your life and with the realization that there is no going back. Going back means old habits creep back up and you start justifying it to yourself that you deserve things. Unfortunately that isn't the way things work, and that's what leads to weight regain.

Important note is that I've been pretty consistent for two years now, and only now am I starting to understand the true changes to my thinking that have occurred. It takes time and dedication, it won't happen overnight. Good luck!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It's not a change for a few months to shift the pounds, it's a change for life
    I totally agree with this...

...which is why I disagree with this:
    You have to bear in mind, eating to loose weight and eating to maintain are different. You won't be eating the same when you are maintaining, but you do need to keep the healthy eating up.

For me, eating to lose weight and eating to maintain are NOT different. I lose weight with a small enough deficit that I'm able to enjoy "normal" foods like pizza and burgers. Going to maintenance is not a shock to my system and doesn't require a huge shift in food habits. It just means eating a few hundred calories more per day of what I'm already eating.

I lost 35 pounds in 2011 and have successfully maintained it, within 3-5 pounds of holiday/summer gain which is fairly painless to lose again after. I'm not back to tracking because I couldn't maintain, but because I decided to lose another 15 pounds.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever comes second nature. I still fall back into patterns - like over eating or choosing the "wrong" thing. Like for example, last Friday my BF and I were out for a Happy Hour with friends and were hungry, so we left the bar and wanted burgers. The ultimate place for burgers in Columbus, OH is "Truman's" and we had never been, even though we've lived here collectively 12 years, so we did. We ordered Onion Straws, Jalapeno Bottle Caps, and a burger to share - because we had to wait and I was HUNGRY, I ate more than him. And spend the night sick and had a "food hangover" all of Saturday. So, yeah, even though I developed "good" habits during my journey, I still fall sometimes and forget that the live I led 40 pounds ago can't be sustained in this body.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever comes second nature. I still fall back into patterns - like over eating or choosing the "wrong" thing. Like for example, last Friday my BF and I were out for a Happy Hour with friends and were hungry, so we left the bar and wanted burgers. The ultimate place for burgers in Columbus, OH is "Truman's" and we had never been, even though we've lived here collectively 12 years, so we did. We ordered Onion Straws, Jalapeno Bottle Caps, and a burger to share - because we had to wait and I was HUNGRY, I ate more than him. And spend the night sick and had a "food hangover" all of Saturday. So, yeah, even though I developed "good" habits during my journey, I still fall sometimes and forget that the live I led 40 pounds ago can't be sustained in this body.

There is nothing wrong with eating all of the things you noted. Make them sometimes foods, and not all the time foods, and account for it elsewhere in your week. Maintaining/losing weight doesn't mean you can't splurge sometimes, and enjoy higher calorie foods. You just need to keep it in the context of your entire intake.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Is it easier? Is not fitting into your clothes easier? Is hating how you look in the mirror easier? Is hating shopping for clothes easier? Is huffing and puffing up a flight of stairs easier?

I finally lost the weight in 2010 and will never look back. It takes effort. It's constantly making the right choices and finding the balance. But I live a healthy life now. I'm not on a diet.

Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard. :wink:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with eating all of the things you noted. Make them sometimes foods, and not all the time foods, and account for it elsewhere in your week. Maintaining/losing weight doesn't mean you can't splurge sometimes, and enjoy higher calorie foods. You just need to keep it in the context of your entire intake.

It wasn't the food, it was how much I ate of it. I gained my weight because of overeating of all foods, portion control still isn't my friend, but I'm getting there. I believe you can eat anything in moderation, last Friday wasn't moderation...
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What I think I need to realize or understand is that I will have to manage this for a lifetime. There will be up and downs and living does involve eating treats and indulging. So learning to manage that while continuing to make healthy choices most of the time is the job. For me, its almost that I need to change my mindset--that being mindful is just life and it doesn't mean restriction. I'm working on it all!:)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Mental discipline takes time...and over time living healthier can become a lifestyle.

8488541.png
  • ratherride
    ratherride Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Never. I do not want to discourage anyone but the bad habits we fall into seem to be permanant while good ones always take continued effort. I quit smoking 23 years ago, have not had a cigarette since, woke up this morning craving one. I am the same by food. I know what food does to me, I have lost 100+ three times, but eating, and eating the wrong food seems to be an ingrained as breath.

My dad always said the right things to do are the hard things to do.

Keep doing the hard things, never give up.