Gaining weight?

Options
Jlp236
Jlp236 Posts: 3 Member
Hello. I am new to this, but I am trying to gain weight. I am 5'2 and weigh 96 lbs. I would like to gain 15-20 lbs of weight and be toned. I have started to work out 3x a week and do 2 miles of cardio a week. A main problem I have is I rarely hit my calories for the day. I keep trying to eat more, but it is very difficult as I have eaten very little for so long. Any suggestions on how to help reach my goal would be appreciated.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie efficient foods.

Whole milk. Peanut Butter. Ice Cream. Chocolate.

More calories and less filling. Perfect for gaining weight.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Make high calorie smoothies:
    Milk, almond milk or coconut milk
    protein powder
    almond, peanut or cashew butter
    fruit of choice. Depending on how much of each intermediate you use, these smoothies can have anywhere from 200 to over 500 calories.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    ^ follow waldo's advice!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    To gain weight, eat about 1800 calories per day and focus on strength training instead of cardio.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Dairy, various nuts, avocados.

Also, lift heavy things. :smile:

Good luck!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot and do squats.
  • diabloben68
    Options
    Hello. I am new to this, but I am trying to gain weight. I am 5'2 and weigh 96 lbs. I would like to gain 15-20 lbs of weight and be toned. I have started to work out 3x a week and do 2 miles of cardio a week. A main problem I have is I rarely hit my calories for the day. I keep trying to eat more, but it is very difficult as I have eaten very little for so long. Any suggestions on how to help reach my goal would be appreciated.

Dont even touch cardio. seriously. Lift weights and do enough that it hurts you. Every week do more and more weight in your lifts. You should never stagnate.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Dont even touch cardio. seriously. Lift weights and do enough that it hurts you. Every week do more and more weight in your lifts. You should never stagnate.

Seriously? Ignore the advice of idiots on the internet. It's good to do cardio, it's good to lift. It's good to be healthy. I do agree with adding in some weights/resistance if you aren't already.

I'd say get into nuts, avocados, meat (if you eat it), bananas, healthy shakes (personally I love ones loaded with fruits).
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Seriously? Ignore the advice of idiots on the internet. It's good to do cardio, it's good to lift. It's good to be healthy. I do agree with adding in some weights/resistance if you aren't already.

I'd say get into nuts, avocados, meat (if you eat it), bananas, healthy shakes (personally I love ones loaded with fruits).

Cardio will make the OP's goal to gain weight more difficult. Lifting at a calorie surplus will make it easier.

OP, I second the suggestion that you lift heavy weights. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women for all the information.
  • Jerbear1985
    Jerbear1985 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ^^ No need for name calling here. The point is to try to help the newbie!

I'd suggest lifting 3-4x a week and if you want to do cardio, do HIIT once a week to keep your heart healthy (no more than 20 minutes). And eat what was suggested by other people. Great ideas there!
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In my quest to gain weight, I try to eat and drink high calorie everything. I have one recipe from the Food Network for Korean Steak Noodles that is around 600 calories a serving. I also try to eat high calorie snacks, 3-6 times a day. If you want to, you can add me as a friend. I know what it is like to try to gain weight on a site with folks who are trying to lose weight. :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Add cheese to everything - its why I still have 21lb to lose:wink: Seriously, all the high fat/high protein advice wil put on calories and help you have the stamina to do more weight training.
  • Jlp236
    Options
    Although I'm a little nervous to start eating high amounts of calories with no cardio (I also really enjoy cardio), I see that is the general consensus. Thanks for all your ideas!
  • waldo56
    Options

Cardio will make the OP's goal to gain weight more difficult. Lifting at a calorie surplus will make it easier.

OP, I second the suggestion that you lift heavy weights. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women for all the information.

2 miles per week of cardio (as pointed out in the OP) will have a very slight negative effect on gaining. That effect can be overcome by drinking one glass of skim milk per week.

Some light cardio will help your fitness and help keep the fat off as you gain. It is highly fat partitioned and has almost zero recovery cost, it won't impact your strength training in a negative way (could actually improve it).

But it has to be light cardio, walking, slow jogging, etc...; partaking in the HIIT fad is about the single worst thing you could do for your potential gains. Not only does it burn up the calories (which can be overcome by eating more), the calorie partitioning is highly carb based (which is the fuel you need for strength training), and it has a significant recovery cost that will negatively impact your strength training and gains (and when gaining weight less muscle gain means more fat gain).

Muscle loss from cardio isn't a factor until your sessions are long (and intense) enough to completely run your muslces out of nutrients (2 hr+, if you aren't marathon training, don't worry about it), or you aren't eating enough to support your activity level (see all the people on MFP "not eating their exercise calories back" or eating half back to "be safe", yeah, don't be one of those people or let your thinking be influenced by them).
  • Jlp236
    Options
    The only cardio I really do is light jogging. How much of that is ok per week? I want to do more than 2 miles, but I keep getting told it's a bad idea. I'm def not trying to train for a marathon.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Do what I do when my appetite falters.

100g protein powder, 100g maltodextrin and 30g peanut butter and a banana. Around 1000 cals in a single shake, downed in seconds.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I really do is light jogging. How much of that is ok per week? I want to do more than 2 miles, but I keep getting told it's a bad idea. I'm def not trying to train for a marathon.
    If you like to run, then run! It's good for your heart. Just make sure you eat a little more to make up for it.
  • waldo56
    Options

I run about 10 miles a week and walk another 10 miles a week, and gain without issue (very clean too, about a 3:1 muscle to fat ratio).
  • Jerbear1985
    Jerbear1985 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ^^^ How much do you eat? And how do you hit your caloric goals? And what do you do for lifting?

Those would all be helpful for her!