Low Carb Diet Tips

Options

Replies

• DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    Actually - things like whole grains in breads and pasta are good for you.

Actually, no they aren't.

People follow different diets for different reasons.

There are so many reasons as to why so many of us can honestly tell you why whole grains, breads, and pasta are bad for us.

But, you go ahead and eat them.

Thanks, I will! But if you do your research, youll see its not that bad.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Apple a day....???? Apples are one of the best fruits to eat.
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I try to eat pretty low carb, but don't most of the food on this list. (Basically I avoid gluten and eat a lot of vegetables, protein, fats, etc.) If you want to know more about eating low carb I enjoyed reading Wheat Belly, although I am not following it precisely- sometimes I just want something with gluten. I can tell you he would not recommend sugar free popsicles or beef jerky (holy nitrates!) He also recommends fruit in moderation... But to each his own...
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    So, um the ONLY "ok" fruit is Blueberries but Atkins bars & beef jerky are "yes" foods?!? That makes no sense to me. There are way more healthy and nutritious ways of consuming a reasonable and healthy amount of carbohydrates while limiting sugars and other processed junk.

Lower carb diets don't have to be missing in nutrition. Even Atkins revised his diet.

And pork skins. But little fruit.

Mmmmkayyy....
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If nothing fried is allowed, how can you have pork rinds, bacon, or anything from Hardees? (I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that hot grease is involved in all of those.)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

There are so many reasons as to why so many of us can honestly tell you why whole grains, breads, and pasta are bad for us.

And why are they so bad for us? Please do tell

:laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds doing low carb 6 years ago, will I do it again NO. Why because I gained most of it back. The sure way to keep your weight loss off is to eat things in moderation! My husband did it as well and guess what coming off of it he gain his weight back as well.

That's the problem, if you have the mentality that a diet is something that you are going on and coming off of, then you will gain it back. If you are making permanent changes, then you will keep the weight off.

Whoever said beef jerky gives you cancer has obviously never made their own. Totally delicious and you decide what goes in and what stays out.
    process meats, bacon and jerky, etc.. have nitrates added into them .,. it is a know cancer causing agent. I'm not talking about anything home made or natural...
    Vegetables have 10-100 times the amount of nitrates in them than beef jerky or processed meats. Nitrates are not a known cancer causing agent, that has been disproven many times.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people on here with ROCKIN bodies who eat ice cream, pizza, bread, pasta and sodas etc.

So, think I'll pass on your weird "diet", ta.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm calling BS on parts of this list. I think when watching carbs, the list of what to eat vs not to eat is a personal preference.

Some people don't like Atkins bars because they are high in saturated fats.
    Some people don't like all the "diet" foods because they are filled with aspartame.
    Some people have no issue doing low-carb and eating fruits.

Everything in moderation.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You should keep your carb intake between 30-50 carbs, 50 being MAX! Stay away from all sugars, breads, pastas, grains etc.

The “YES” foods:
    • Vegetables
    • Cheese Sticks
    • Low carb yogurt
    • Sugar free jello
    • Atkins bars
    • Fish/Seafood: baked or grilled ONLY
    • Baked or Grilled meats: the best is chicken (low carb)
    • Beef jerky
    • Nuts
    • Protein shakes (low carb)
    • Blueberries
    • Pork skins
    • 8 oz of coffee a day if needed
    • ONLY WATER
    • Pickles
    • Scrambled eggs
    • Bacon
    • Hardees low carb breakfast bowl
    • Crystals low carb breakfast bowl
    • Peanut butter – natural kind
    • Turkey or Ham
    • Sweet potato (not often)
    Boiled peanuts

The “NO” foods:
    • Anything fried
    • Bread
    • Chips, taco shells, etc
    • Cereal (I eat a small portion of Special K Protein)
    • FRUIT (only okay kind is blueberries)
    • Pasta
    • Rice
    • Soda, tea, etc
    • Limit your mayo

Helpful Hints:
    Portion control / limit your servings. Only eat 1 serving.
    If I have a sweet tooth craving then I eat one pc of dove chocolate (3.8g carbs).
    For high weight loss, stay around 30 carbs/day...50 carbs/day TOPS!
    You can subtract your dietary fiber from carbs.
    Drink at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day.
    Cold water is way better than room temp water. It makes your body work harder.
    Cardio will increase your weight loss!
    Food World has sugar free popsicles & Wal-Mart has low carb fudge ice cream bars.

Always always always read your nutrition labels! :)
    So, bread, pasta, and fruit are not ok, but fast food is? :huh:
    Also, subtracting fiber from grams of carbs is a silly trick that low carbers play to convince themselves that they are eating low carb. FIBER IS A CARB. And fiber is also digested by the body, with some exceptions for certain types of insoluble fiber. Just because you subtract it out with math, doesn't mean that your body suddenly doesn't digest it.

Also, the cold water myth? Really? Completely destroys any shred of credibility that the rest of this post may have left behind.

This entire post is a joke full of myths, legends, and falsities.
  • donnamariewilliams
    Options
    Totally disagree. I once went on the Atkins diet. I lost a lot of weight. But as soon as I was able to start eating regularly again, I not only gained what I lost and then some. You deprive yourself from so many things, so when you are allowed to eat it again, it is like an alcoholic having that drink. I have been losing weight gradually by exercising and eating healthy foods which include fruits and do not include bacon. BTW....foods high in sodium are very bad for those who have hypertension or heart problems.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Today must be low-carb day?

I'll eat pork rinds regardless. With hot sauce!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm very sad after reading this OP.

Very sad.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Good luck with this in the long-run, really.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't like the whole idea of grouping foods into "good" and "bad" categories. It's all just food. What's good or bad is overall diet and habits, not any one individual food or food group.

I think it's a bad idea to tell people that they must go low-carb. Low-carb may help some people create a calorie deficit, but it's not necessary for most people. I've done just fine without cutting out any food groups.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So after debating about putting my two cents in, here goes. I am sure the original post was to give persons who are interested an idea of how to do a 'low carb' diet. There are always many options for people to lose weight, and some work for different people. A person could likely eat processed foods and lose weight-many do on programs that have pre packaged meals; others prefer to eat 'clean' and lose weight; while there are those that cut back and do not limit anything. Bottom line is find what works for you and if you want to share do so.

Personally, I chose in consultation with my doctor and dietician to limit my carbohydrate intake ( I have Type II Diabetes). But unlike in the past, I realize I need to make lifestyle changes that Ican live with from here on in.

I do limit processed foods because I feel better when I do not eat them. But I will have a protein shake, but I avoid things like 100 calorie snack packs because they are loaded with junk In my opinion) I eat lots of green leafy vegetables both raw and sauteed in a 'good ' fat such as olive or grapeseed oil. I eat nuts in a limited amount, and about two servings of fruit per day-berries primarily, or an apple. I eat lean meats- turkey/chicken breast or ground turkey/chicken breast (95/5); salmon, trout and other fish. I rarely eat beef and do not eat pork (although there are lean cuts)
    So as I said this is my two cents worth.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't like the whole idea of grouping foods into "good" and "bad" categories. It's all just food. What's good or bad is overall diet and habits, not any one individual food or food group.

I think it's a bad idea to tell people that they must go low-carb. Low-carb may help some people create a calorie deficit, but it's not necessary for most people. I've done just fine without cutting out any food groups.

Moderation generally works
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Everybody has their own ideas on this. I just try to avoid any man made carbs. The things that come in the pretty boxes on the store shelves. However, I'll have it now and then. I keep my daily carbs to under 125grams a day. That works for me.

as I write this I'm eating a rice cake from those very pretty packages lol. As long as i keep my carbs around 125 and my protien at 150 or so, I feel good and things are working fine. You have to play with it. Good luck. Moderation is key.

Cheers
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Here is what I have learnt about grains and pasta. Here is how they make you gain weight, and may not be the best option. Carbs.. which these are, go into your blood stream, your glucose levels start to spike, your insulin kicks in. with pasta and grains it takes A lot for your insulin to work and bring your glucose levels back to normal, if the levels never get back to normal the over flow (so to speak) goes into you liver and then it turns to fat! This is why eating lots of carbs makes a person fat, If you eat a grain or a pasta that is full of fiber.( HARD to find and even whole wheat pasta does not have enough.) The fiber eats up the carbs like a little Pac-man.. And the over flow does not go into the liver and turn to fat. I’m not saying grains are bad for you, but it is hard to fine the ones that have high fiber to keep the insulin spikes from accruing. I am no expert, just what I have learnt about grains, pasta, and even some fruits.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Here is what I have learnt about grains and pasta. Here is how they make you gain weight, and may not be the best option. Carbs.. which these are, go into your blood stream, your glucose levels start to spike, your insulin kicks in. with pasta and grains it takes A lot for your insulin to work and bring your glucose levels back to normal, if the levels never get back to normal the over flow (so to speak) goes into you liver and then it turns to fat! This is why eating lots of carbs makes a person fat, If you eat a grain or a pasta that is full of fiber.( HARD to find and even whole wheat pasta does not have enough.) The fiber eats up the carbs like a little Pac-man.. And the over flow does not go into the liver and turn to fat. I’m not saying grains are bad for you, but it is hard to fine the ones that have high fiber to keep the insulin spikes from accruing. I am no expert, just what I have learnt about grains, pasta, and even some fruits.

what make you gain weight is eating more calories than you burn. Not magical insuline spikes