Getting back into counting calories

Options
My name is Becky, I have been on the counting calories diet when i was in my early 20s and lost 60lbs, but since i have had my kids and am i guess getting older, loosing weight is not so easy anymore its frustrating. I have tried weight watchers, Adkins, no high fructose, no soda, etc. It seems like nothing is working so i decided to go back to counting calories, but this time around it seems alot harder because i feel hungry after i reach my calorie goal and of course i cant eat anything else, before i could eat two meals a day and be fine but now days i am always hungry to where i get headaches, I don't get it nor do i like it, I need some friends to help me along the way and help me stay on track.

Replies

• gabbyguru
    Options
    My suggestion would be to review what you are eating. Make sure you are getting plenty of fiber and drinking plenty of water. Try not to drink calories if you are. I had to develop a taste for unsweetened tea. A squirt of lemon juice makes it ok. (I don't use artificial sweeteners) I usually drink water or use crystal light pure. Eating slow helps you feel full quicker. Also, you are allowed more calories if you exercise. In the database of exercises you can even count cleaning house. I think it gives too many calories burned so I put half the time that I actually clean house. Another thing you can do is be careful about the preparation of food. Baked and grilled instead of fried. The George Foreman grill has been a great asset when me & hubby try to eat healthy. Also, Olive Oil instead of Crisco. (except for biscuits of course) There are many ways to cut calories. I know sometimes I feel hungry when I am bored so if I get up and get my mind on something else it helps to forget about the hunger. Good Luck on your weight loss journey!
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight in the past by counting calories, but struggling to stay on track for long term for the last 5 years… and I always undo the good work during my binges. SO.. now I decided it was time to change something and after a long research decided to go low(ish) carb +calorie counting. It must be carbs that make my appetite uncontrollable and my hunger endless. I always have difficulty to stay until my 1500kcal daily limit, so now I cut out bread, white flour, sugar, potatoes, rice. If I am hungry I’d rather binge on protein and healthy fat. It is early days but after few days of bingeing on protein my appetite seems to be calming down. I hope this is the key for those who are always hungry, like me. I have also added cheese and nuts to my diet which was always too high in calories before. I am not a big meat eater, anyway.

Add me as a friend if you want!
  • microscrubbers
    microscrubbers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I heard once that it takes at least 21 days to kick a habit. If it's true I don't know. I was a diet pepsi junkie when I came to MFP. I stopped drinking sodas and had horrible headaches for about....guess what......three weeks. After that, it fell into place. I realized my hunger pains were false (just my belly wanting what it used to get) I tried to eat bulky food to fill me up with less calories. Once I blew my days calories almost in one meal and said never again. For me it's been trial and error. Eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of the typical breakfast, lunch, dinner routine. Some even told me the other day, dude you're always eating something.....! But hey it's been working for me to lose those hunger cravings and headaches. hope this helps....