Low Carb Diet Tips

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actually - things like whole grains in breads and pasta are good for you.

Actually, no they aren't.

People follow different diets for different reasons.

There are so many reasons as to why so many of us can honestly tell you why whole grains, breads, and pasta are bad for us.

But, you go ahead and eat them.

And why are they so bad for us? Please do tell

:laugh:

Here is what I have learnt about grains and pasta. Here is how they make you gain weight, and may not be the best option. Carbs.. which these are, go into your blood stream, your glucose levels start to spike, your insulin kicks in. with pasta and grains it takes A lot for your insulin to work and bring your glucose levels back to normal, if the levels never get back to normal the over flow (so to speak) goes into you liver and then it turns to fat! This is why eating lots of carbs makes a person fat, If you eat a grain or a pasta that is full of fiber.( HARD to find and even whole wheat pasta does not have enough.) The fiber eats up the carbs like a little Pac-man.. And the over flow does not go into the liver and turn to fat. I’m not saying grains are bad for you, but it is hard to fine the ones that have high fiber to keep the insulin spikes from accruing. I am no expert, just what I have learnt about grains, pasta, and even some fruits.
    You might want to go back and learn again, because there is nothing in this post that is true. For one thing, fiber IS a carb, it does not eat carbs.

tigerpalm.jpg
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

There are so many reasons as to why so many of us can honestly tell you why whole grains, breads, and pasta are bad for us.

Here is what I have learnt about grains and pasta. Here is how they make you gain weight, and may not be the best option. Carbs.. which these are, go into your blood stream, your glucose levels start to spike, your insulin kicks in. with pasta and grains it takes A lot for your insulin to work and bring your glucose levels back to normal, if the levels never get back to normal the over flow (so to speak) goes into you liver and then it turns to fat! This is why eating lots of carbs makes a person fat, If you eat a grain or a pasta that is full of fiber.( HARD to find and even whole wheat pasta does not have enough.) The fiber eats up the carbs like a little Pac-man.. And the over flow does not go into the liver and turn to fat. I’m not saying grains are bad for you, but it is hard to fine the ones that have high fiber to keep the insulin spikes from accruing. I am no expert, just what I have learnt about grains, pasta, and even some fruits.

Where did you get your information?
    I would look at some more reputable sources :)

3 years done at my university studying dietetics/nutrition.
    Unless you have a medical problem, insulin is not really the enemy here.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO EAT! -_-
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

lolwut?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    ETA: lol
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options

what make you gain weight is eating more calories than you burn. Not magical insuline spikes
    not really true.. there are many people that eat large amounts of high calories meats on Atkins do not exercise and loose tuns of weight.. My sister is on...
  • timeformetofly
    Options

talking about foods that are high in carbs.. ever heard of the Glycemic index on foods? some make your sugar spike some don't even if you if there is no medical problem.. Never said that insulin was the enemy..It just has to kick in and when it does over and over again and people eat lots of carb foods, they not only get fat but, their pancreas can not keep up with the insulin demand and they become diabetic..
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have found something that works for you.....

I disagree with your approach and your good and bad foods...
  • ToughTulip
    Options

talking about foods that are high in carbs.. ever heard of the Glycemic index on foods? some make your sugar spike some don't even if you if there is no medical problem.. Never said that insulin was the enemy..It just has to kick in and when it does over and over again and people eat lots of carb foods, they not only get fat but, their pancreas can not keep up with the insulin demand and they become diabetic..

Lol once again I have studied this plenty at my university.

I am saying that a sugar spike really isn't a big deal unless you have a medical problem that requires you to limit it.
    Eating a higher carb isn't the reason people are getting fat, its eating too many calories (too much food!)
    Eating higher carb isn't the main cause of diabetes either, its obesity (once again too much food!).

I fail to see how you are coming to the conclusion that high GI foods are making us fat I suppose.
    The only thing I can really say against high GI carbs is that they are delicious, and for some easy to over consume. Even saying that though, it is once again the calories that is the problem, not really the carbs.
  • timeformetofly
    Options

I am saying that a sugar spike really isn't a big deal unless you have a medical problem that requires you to limit it.
    Eating a higher carb isn't the reason people are getting fat, its eating too many calories (too much food!)
    Eating higher carb isn't the main cause of diabetes either, its obesity (once again too much food!).

I fail to see how you are coming to the conclusion that high GI foods are making us fat I suppose.
    The only thing I can really say against high GI carbs is that they are delicious, and for some easy to over consume. Even saying that though, it is once again the calories that is the problem, not really the carbs.

well, I have a better study then Book study. I was diabetic and my health made me learn what to do.. it was not calories that changed it. It was low carb. and not even weight loss... so in this case I take life smart over book smart.. No longer diabetic and still heavy.. By watching what spikes my sugar in my foods.. that lead me to become a diabetic!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have found something that works for you.....

I disagree with your approach and your good and bad foods...

Umm I disagree too. The amount of misinformation and ignorance in this thread is a perfect example of why I don't like to say I eat low carb.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a low carb fangurl. I've had great results following a low carb diet and I'm maintaining my weight loss (65 lbs) effortlessly eating the same diet without counting calories or carbs. That said, I think that list is terrible, sorry OP!

Here's a less restrictive and more healthful approach (in my opinion, of course) to eating a low carb diet:

LCHF for beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • ToughTulip
    Options

well, I have a better study then Book study. I was diabetic and my health made me learn what to do.. it was not calories that changed it. It was low carb. and not even weight loss... so in this case I take life smart over book smart.. No longer diabetic and still heavy.. By watching what spikes my sugar in my foods.. that lead me to become a diabetic!

n=1 is not credible
    Congrats on you taking control of your diabetes, but that doesn't really work to say grains and high GI foods are bad for us.
    You had a medical reason to track your blood glucose levels and monitor your spikes though.
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it's better to learn how to eat... than to learn how to diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight and am maintaining it eating all the 'no' foods and eating about 150 - 250g of carbs. So thanks, but no thanks.
  • devochkadee
    devochkadee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/23.full?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&minscore=5000&resourcet

"Conclusions: Under planned isoenergetic conditions, as expected, both dietary patterns resulted in similar weight loss and changes in body composition. The LC diet may offer clinical benefits to obese persons with insulin resistance. However, the increase in LDL cholesterol with the LC diet suggests that this measure should be monitored. This trial was registered with the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry at http://www.anzctr.org.au as ACTR 12606000203550."
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I could never give up fruit. I love bananas, berries, apples, clementines, melons, pineapple... and it is all very healthy for you.

I'm following a slightly low-carb diet (100-150g of carbs a day) simply because I cannot control myself around processed carbs. I could live off of pasta, rice, bagels and bread... and that's not healthy.

So I removed all of those things from my house, and now I eat a lot of protein, veggies, fruit and lower amounts of dairy. I avoid sugar drinks, processed food, junk food, etc. It's working great and I'm not depriving myself!