Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone else hate being called "Sir"?

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Meh. It beats fat *kitten*.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    I don't like being called Mister. It makes me feel old.

Same here. I rarely get called Sir, but Mister seems to happen quite a bit at work.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    I'm not a fan of HUN

Noted :flowerforyou:

Not to be a thread downer but this strikes a weird chord with me, I used to get slapped for disrespecting my parents. So I call everyone sir or ma'am even if they're younger than me. But then I felt the twitch when I trained a new employee and he kept calling me ma'am. :grumble:

:ohwell:
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Nope.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    My inner-Drill-Sargeant thinks it is not only a good idea that you do, but you'll drop and give me 20 if you don't.

Yes Ma'am - Sir - wait ma'am - no - Yes Sir.
  • hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    If I was a guy.... I'd twirl my mustache, adjust my lapel and saunter off feeling like a boss
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Yes, sir.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I do not like to be called Sir. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but I like to complain when people respect me. I'm only 29 years old, I don't need to be respected or be called terms out of respect. You can call me "yo" or "wassup fat daddio"

Any other men feel the same way?
    I prefer "Captain."
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    No :angry: \m/
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    What would you rather be called in the office...

dude, bro, brah, man, mang, broski, broseph, brosepi, bud, buddy, budski, captain crunch, etc. etc.????
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    It's a regional thing.

In many places in the South it is expected for younger people to refer to older people as Sir or Ma'am. To not do so is seen as a sign of poor upbringing. As a kid born in Kenosha, WI, with parents also from the north, this was a hard lesson to learn when we moved south when I was 6.

Whenever teachers would ask me a question, I would just say, "yeah", or "yes". And they would often demand, "Yeah WHAT?". And I would be like "Uh, yeah yeah?" I had no idea what they were getting at.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    We teach our 4 year old daughter to call us and others "Sir" and "Ma'am" ...I think kids lose respect these days...its the polite and right way to address someone.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    yes, i hate being called sir, man, dude......and worst of all.......................................... "ma'am"......I'm barely in my 30's....ma'am can be for those ladies who go to the beauty salon and come out with blue tinted hair.
    Oh man, I hate that, dude! Yes sir!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    keep-calm-and-act-like-a-sir-4_large.png

300x220px-LL-7471e0bf_Like-a-Sir-300x220.jpeg
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    If I was a guy.... I'd twirl my mustache, adjust my lapel and saunter off feeling like a boss

I wish I could but my mustache grows in all white trashy like more like a crustash lol.... I do however have a pretty sweet goat that like like to rub while i make inquisitive faces and say hmmmm
  • jbar27
    jbar27 Posts: 1
    I've recently been knighted, so it doesn't bother me.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Although I am not a man and do not care for being mistaken for one when people see me (which I don't understand anyway because I have RILLY BIG BOOBS), if you ARE going to mistake me for a man (in retrospect, this usually happens from behind), it's nice if you call me Sir. But I'm 37 and I DEMANDS RESPEKT.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Do you accept Sir Fat Daddio?

Wasn't he an 80's rapper?
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    used to bother me but started being a teacher at 26 so I got over it pretty quick, I do have my students call me Mr. Mike though too young for my last name
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    I really don't mind, being a teacher I get kids that say that to me all the time. It's funny when a twenty-something says it though, being that I'm only 27, but I've kinda stopped caring. Most of the time I'm wearing a shirt and tie for work so I tend to look like a sir, I guess.