Need opinions please :)

Options
I exercise everyday on my tredmill for an hour which comes out to about 2.7 miles when walking & 3.5 miles when I do some running. My question is ... is 1 hour enough? I want to do 1 hour in the morning & 1 hour at night but my fiancé keeps telling me 1 hour is enough & to rest.

Replies

• KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    watching..... i want some info too please!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should be okay doing 2 hours since you have a larger amount of weight to lose, but make sure you're still fueling your body. You may not need to eat back all of your exercise calories but make sure you have enough energy to get through the day and you're not hungry. Eat those exercise calories if your body wants 'em!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I say if that 1 hour is getting too easy then you can go up. Maybe try adding an hour and if you feel that is too much then just add 30 min. I would listen to my body and if you feel like you want/can do more then go for it!
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am finding that 1 hour is too easy now. I don't feel tired but of course I sweat. My muscles used to hurt now they don't
  • Bon180
    Bon180 Posts: 26
    Options
    At this point I think 1 hour will still make you drop lbs FAST!.. I would be afraid that if you more in the evening (unless its a leisure walk outside.) you might burn out and stop altogether. Once you have dropped more LBS you can increase your workouts and have stamina built up to maintain your eagerness. Just my opinion, but remember its a life change...do what you can maintain....you could also set weekly goals and re evaluate at the end of the week...IE 15 min increase per week.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    An hour of cardio is enough. If you want to do something else, strength train.

Or increase your intensity in your cardio workout. Try increasing your distance in an hour...aim for 5 miles.
  • kkvz79
    kkvz79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with a couple posters. I honestly believe that 1 hour or cardio, like a treadmill is definitely enough for one day. If you feel you want to do more, add in some strength training or yoga so you don't get burnt out! Also, be sure you're fueling your body for all of the calories you are burning and give yourself a day here and there to rest! Best of luck!!
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    At a 2.7 mph pace, you can do a second hour; just pay attention to your physical cues--fatigue, pain, aches, specific food cravings--and adjust for them. And you might want to take one day a week for rest--no intentional exercise--just to give your body a break.

I'm walking at about a 2.8 mph pace, sometimes a 3.2 if I know it's only going to be an hour or so, and walk anywhere from 1 hour to 3. Next week a couple of those days will be as long as 5 hours (training...I don't think most people need to walk for that long...) I do fine as long as I take a rest day, AND eat a little more on the longer days.

Ideally most people should get about 5 cumulative miles a day in (unintentional exercise) so there's no reason why a person can't go over that a little, or even a lot. As long as you're not hurting or worn out, go for it.
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    are you muscles suppose to hurt after doing aerobic exercise?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I would say instead of adding an additional hour of cardio....add a hour of weight training......It will tone your body and give you faster results than with the cardio alone.....

Goodluck
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I would say instead of adding an additional hour of cardio....add a hour of weight training......It will tone your body and give you faster results than with the cardio alone.....

Goodluck

Agreed. And, if you want the cardio to be harder, work on increasing the intensity by upping the incline and/or speed.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    are you muscles suppose to hurt after doing aerobic exercise?
    You definitely will be a little sore, especially at first. As things get easier you will become less sore. That is how you can tell when to up the intensity of your workouts. It is good for your muscles to be sore so you know the exercise is working but you don't want to over do it, If certain things cause you to be in extreme pain then don't do them until you get in better shape. You don't want any pulled or strained muscles or damage to joints. But a little soreness is expected and is okay!
  • ryandarby
    ryandarby Posts: 24
    Options
    If you do start doing some aerobic activities or strength training don't be surprised or bothered if you do put on a few pounds either!!! Remember muscle weighs more than fat and when you strength train you will be putting on some muscle. I've heard nothing but good about Jillian Michaels 30 day shred also. maybe do your treadmill for 30 minutes to get warmed up and do the video after, then take a day off the video and just do an hour of treadmill. It's really up to you on how you feel after you workout and if you're into the workout your doing. If you find something you enjoy you're more likely to stick with it!
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    http://www.beyondmoseying.com/12-week-treadmill-workout.html

(This is a great 12 week workout and has many really good tips). Mix it up and create the workout that is best for you.
  • iceangel055
    Options
    I also have only been reading good things about Jillian Michael's 30 day shred on here and someone else posted this link, yeah I know the webite is probably in Japanese, but the video is in English.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTMxNDMwNzY=.htm
  • bigvinny
    bigvinny Posts: 1
    Options
    Need more info...
    If you want to burn fat then more is always better within reason...
    I would make sure to get a heart rate monitor and make sure your heart rate is
    in the fat burning zone...
    I think its easy to figure out:
    220 minus your age, times 65 %
    I am 46,,, 220 minus 46 is 174...
    174 is my max heart rate...
    174 X 65% = is 113...
    I would need to go as fast or slow to keep my heart at 113...
    You can look online but the simple explanation is if you are pushing hard, you burn calories, protien and fat..
    If you bring it down a notch 65% of max, then your body fuels itself with only fat...
    Chow!