just curious....how strict are you? cheat meals.

Options
I have learned this morning that I am likely not losing weight because I am not eating enough with workouts included etc.
I want to know if you all super strict...Maybe this could be a contributing factor why I am not losing weight. I don't know. I want to be realistic. I love coffee, I need cream in my coffee. I have about two a day. I love salad, but I need croutons in my salad and dressing. If I were to cut out and then add it back in when I've lost my weight, then I don't see how that will help. I have had not had fast food in 6 weeks. Do you have a cheat meal once a week? I still don't see how that can be good for a diet, but the gym owner where I work out suggest once cheat meal a week. hmm.... so confused altogether. I thought it would have been black and white, like a calorie deficit = weight loss, but it's not that simple. I have a big deficit and no weight loss in the last two weeks. I have upped my calorie basic intake to 1400 and will start eating back some of my exercise calories so that I at least have 1400 at the end of the day. Never new I was doing it all wrong until today.

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    cheat meal once a week yes, if you are too strict your body picks up on the weight loss and will perform measures to hold on to the restrictive calories, in an effort to prevent more weight loss. It has worked wonders for me and I always advise it, plus it will curve cravings too.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or cheat days, but I am pretty loosey-goosey compared to a lot of people on here.

I eat the food I enjoy, the way I enjoy them. I have "treats" every day. Yes, I try to make mostly healthy choices - get my vegetables and all of that. But as long as I'm within my calorie limit and meeting my macros, I don't really give a funk if I eat something "evil". Sometimes I just want cheese whiz....I don't fight it. I don't cut out food groups or group foods as "good" or "bad". Yes, some have more benefits than others, but if you make smart decisions and try to keep a balanced diet it all evens out.

Since I embraced moderation weight loss has become so much easier that I can't even explain it. People make it so, so much harder than it needs to be.

A lot of people on this site just need a bowl of chips.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    also too big of a deficit can also be bad, you want about a 500 calorie per day deficit from your BMR.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    also too big of a deficit can also be bad, you want about a 500 calorie per day deficit from your BMR.

Do you mean 500 below your BMR? That ain't right.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. I looked at your calories in your diary and you definitely need to eat closer to target, especially on days where you exercise. Also, it's time to improve what you're eating....you should have tons of veggies...more protein if you're working out. Salads are ok but trust me - you need real food. Beans...meats....cheeses...nuts...don't be afraid to eat real healthy food.

I sometimes now eat a cup and a 1/2 of green beans in one meal and similar quantities in others.

Also, weigh and measure everything as that will lead to accurate amounts of food.

Right now it's not a matter of strictness but feeling like you can eat. Don't be afraid to eat the calories it assigns you. You'll still lose weight and your body will like it.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or cheat days, but I am pretty loosey-goosey compared to a lot of people on here.

I eat the food I enjoy, the way I enjoy them. I have "treats" every day. Yes, I try to make mostly healthy choices - get my vegetables and all of that. But as long as I'm within my calorie limit and meeting my macros, I don't really give a funk if I eat something "evil". Sometimes I just want cheese whiz....I don't fight it. I don't cut out food groups or group foods as "good" or "bad". Yes, some have more benefits than others, but if you make smart decisions and try to keep a balanced diet it all evens out.

Since I embraced moderation weight loss has become so much easier that I can't even explain it. People make it so, so much harder than it needs to be.

Exactly what she said. Moderation and staying within your calorie goals and macros...that way you can still enjoy whatever you want. It's not rocket science...it's just self control.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    For me, it was about eating enough, and not trying to do everything at once! That, and portion control. I didnt throw out allt he junk food--I measured out a proper portion-I counted chips. scooped PB witha measuring spoon. Then, when the chips were eaten, I bought snacks that were more bang for the calories--special K chips, animal crackers, dark chocolate raisins.

I started planning meals ahead of time--On Sundays I tend to cook a meal, and the leftovers get taken to work for at least 2-3 days, more if its a pot of chili, which makes 8 portions!

If I want chocolate or ice cream, I have it! I make room for it by eating something smaller earlier in the day.

make SMART goals--Specific, Manageable, Achievable, Realistic, Tangible goals. Don't say--I am going to get in shape and be healthly. Say--I will lose X lbs or fit into X size jeans. I will replace my soda addiction with water and teas.

I personally dont like the idea of "cheat" meals or being strict. I eat the maintenance calories of my goal weight, and I eat things I would normally eat and enjoy. I choose to develop the habits I will need for my life, rather than going on a Diet.

• A lot of people on this site just need a bowl of chips.

Love it!! LOL My new favorite quote!
  • 2gurl45
    2gurl45 Posts: 32
    Options
    YES, I cheat... all the time.... it has actually been proven to be more efficient for me cause I actually lose faster when I cheat like 2 times a week! I have 2 fattening days a week where I eat anything I want , twice a week. So on those days I sorta go mad with KFC and ice cream. haha. its awesome.. and I still lose weight. I eat chocolate during the week whenever I feel like it, at night even. It's like you dont have to follow your diet strictly, you'll still be losing weight especially since you exercise lots!

EDIT: oh, and I drink lots of starbucks too.... haha
  • microscrubbers
    microscrubbers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You gotta eat what MFP programmed for you, a deficit of 1000 calories is too much...! Your body will definitely go into starvation mode and hold on to everything you got........
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

This! I get my share of chicken breast, baked sweet potatoes, and spinach salads...and then I get my share of TastyKakes, Pop-Tarts, and Cheese Nips. I find that by giving myself daily treats, I don't need cheat days. Plus on my long run days, I burn 700+ calories--hard to "cheat" when that kind of calorie allowance gives me plenty of room for pizza and wine!
  • mudbugs07
    mudbugs07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    your in a Plataeu right now. dont get down on yourself, your body has gotten accutom to your new regiment and you need a change. Now what that change needs to be is a total different question. oh by the way, you can cut the cream from your coffee it just takes time to do it. I use to drink my coffee with cream and sugar it looked like chocolate milk. Now after 9 months of taking sugar packets and cream away from coffee i havent gone back in 3 yr. It now taste bad when i have cream or sugar in my coffee. you have to do it in month incerments example you put 3 sugar packets and 3 cream packs. start it off by taking one packet away for a month then you get use to the less sugar, then after a month take 1 cream away for a month. continue this procress until it all gone and your only drinking black. Coffee is so much better straight black.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Get out of my head woman!
    This is exactly how I am. :happy:
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 4 month plateau which SUCKS... I have a feeling there is something else going on other than what I'm eating/not eating/working out, etc......

With that said, I don't "cheat" I eat what I want, when I want, but I make good choices about what I'm eating. I'd rather not eat junk and throw away my calories that way. I also feel like garbage when I eat "cheat" food. Add protein to your salads... if you need that crunch factor the croutons provide, then have the croutons, they are not causing weight gain, it's not like you're eating a bagful of them every day. I also need half and half in my coffee, no compromising on that, and I haven't. I put just a splash in, I know that's not contributing to my plateau.

With salads, I tend to put a lot of good filling things in like quiona, chickpeas, tofu, lentils, chicken, and loads of fresh veggies and greens (usually spinach or kale). I'm not a crouton person, but I like that crunch in my salad as well, so I'll add a little bit of pumpkin seeds.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options

amen. I just had a big, soft cookie and I feel great! :D
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this OP. I could have written it myself because I am going through the exact same thing. (Except I drink my coffee black, LOL!) I know I need to eat more and eat a little healthier. The eating more thing is just hard to do. So many years of deficit eating. It's hard to break that mindset. Good luck to you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a big deficit and no weight loss in the last two weeks.
    Bingo - I think the big deficit is the problem. Eat too little and you're sending the body the wrong message, and giving it a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

And someone said subtract 500 from your BMR. :noway: You do NOT want to do that - BMR is coma calories, or the amount you burn doing absolutely nothing all day long. You want to find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure based on activity level) and subtract from that to get your daily deficit.

Great article on the trouble with over training and under eating here: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

As for "cheat days" - I don't cheat, I just eat! :drinker: LOL My calorie goal is realistic, and most days, even treats fit into my goal. I know my BMR and my TDEE and I eat in between those numbers. Dinner out, birthdays, holidays, burgers, pizza, alcohol - I fit it into my goals (on 1800 calories a day for most of the past year). i eat healthy 80-90% of the time, and it all works out.

I've been doing this for over a year and had great success and steady weight/fat loss. I've found that even with a week of being well over my daily goal 5 out of 7 days in a week, I still don't gain - I think my metabolism is just cookin' right along now due to the year of eating well and nourishing my body properly. And I don't go gonzo with the workouts - I average an hour or less a day, 5 or 6 days a week - three days of strength/resistance work, and three days of running an average of 4 miles or so.

It's doable, it's sustainable, and I'm in this for the rest of my life. I used the info & tools in the IPOARM thread to set my calories and macros, and I'm so glad I did. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    First, plug your stats and goals into MFP with a realistic weekly weight loss goal and eat the calories it gives you, plus your exercise calories. As long as you're healthy with no underlying medical conditions, this will work. There's no need to have a huge calorie deficit in your diet. You only need a modest or moderate deficit to lose weight. My goal is to lose about 70lbs total at 1.5lbs a week, and I generally eat around 1800 calories a day. It's working! Some weeks I lose more than others, and the weight loss isn't always linear, but the numbers are moving in the right direction.

I don't do cheat days, but that's because I pretty much just eat what I want. I do love my vegetables, and I don't eat fast food because I don't really care much for it, but if I go out on a Saturday night and want some fries and a beer, that's what I'll have. We usually have pizza once a week. I try to make healthy choices most of the time, and I stay within my calories, but I don't deprive myself. I'm eating now the way I can see myself eating 10 years from now. For me, it's mostly about portion control and serving size. :smile: