Full time parents - how do you exercise?!?!

Options

Replies

• nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a single working Mom. Back when I lived in an apartment complex that had a gym, I'd go there first before picking up DD from Daycare. Now we live in a house, but she's older (almost 4 now), so I let her watch My Little Ponies in her room while I do a Jillian DVD, lol. Other low impact stuff I can do after she's sleep.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    You find time do jillion micheal s 30ds it's only 20 mins stop making excuses and get it done you got this
  • Tlink34
    Tlink34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill during my baby's nap time. Shower then too
  • superchris128
    Options
    I have an OnDemand fitness channel ($8/month through Verizon), and when my daughter is napping in the afternoon or even after she goes to bed at night, I try to do a quick work-out video. There is a great 8 min. cardio dance video that I use a few times a week. Every little bit counts!! :)
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    If I were you, I'd join a gym with child care. It would be good for her to get out and socialize and you'd be able to focus on your work out.

In addition to that, you could take her on a stroll. There was a time when my son was younger that my only exercise came from strolling around our apartment complex. It helped me maintain my weight.

You can also work out after she goes to bed if you're set on working out at home.

I am a full-time working mother of a two year old so I know my situation isn't the same as yours, but I work out before I go to work. I get up at 5:30am and get it over with. It works out best for our family because my son is in daycare all day so I feel guilty picking him up and taking him directly to another child care facility.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I know I'll get bashed for this cause ERMAHGERD VIDEO GAMES ARE THE DEVIL but my 3 year old has a DS, and it keeps his attention just long enough for me to do what I need to do. Mariokart is easy for little ones to control. It doesn't hold his attention for long though, if I don't push through it and get it done he's put it down and is on to destroying the kitchen.. again.

I also have a 3 year old and he plays on the blackberry while I do my thing...I think a little video game time won't hurt and you have to look after you so you can look after everyone else!
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your wonderful suggestions. There were only one or two judgemental people on here who are easy to ignore! When I saw the amount of replies, I was a little skeptical lol!

I loved the suggestions about using her as exercise equipment lol. She's 13kg so she'll be great haha! She'll have loads of fun too and she will have to get used to showers lol. I am fine when the weather is great as we go for walks and play in the park, etc. but lately it's been snowing and raining and so the online exercise sounds great!

Thank you again to everyone for your help. 30DS sounds great, I used to do it when she was small and sat in her highchair watching me like I was crazy lol. And she can watch TV or play on my iPad whilst I'm doing it if she doesn't want to join in. I'm not judgmental of those who do this with their kids so no bashing from me!! X
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I suggest the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child to get naps going again, and a set bedtime. She sounds strung out from lack of sleep. Also, does she sleep in a crib or do you have a playpen you can set up, or strap her into the high chair for half an hour. She can play, colour, have a snack, or sit and whine for that time, but she will be confined to watching you without jumping on top of you. Better yet, quiet time in the afternoon, whether she sleeps or not. You can put her in the crib with some music on and a few board books. A half an hour quiet time is not unreasonable.

Best advice in this thread. Parents should be controlling their children, not the other way around. I'm astounded at the people in this thread who think it's perfectly acceptable for a child to not be able to occupy himself for a half hour.

Read the book referenced here, you'll be able to work out and also have the benefit of not having your kids turn out to be codependent brats.

Please don't be so judgmental while agreeing with me. Moms need help and encouragement, not condemnation from others. Trust me, we tear ourselves apart enough, second guess every decision and are riddled with guilt and feel the weighty responsibility we have to turn out responsible, caring, contributing members of society. What we don't get enough of is basic compassion and understanding. :flowerforyou:

Well said metaphoria, those comments are harsh and not at all helpfull, they just lead to guilt tripping. Every child and every family is unique.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You find time do jillion micheal s 30ds it's only 20 mins stop making excuses and get it done you got this

tumblr_lul4qoiSE81r13ces_zps485933d0.gif
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Crib + Sesame Street = Exercise!

Really though, your not even two year old should still be napping at some point during the day. Even most three year olds still need a nap. The fact that you say she goes to sleep after you and wakes up before you would indicate that a nap is even more important unless you're sleeping like 15 hours a day.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc

Just because she may be bouncing around doesn't mean she doesn't need to sleep. If I didn't specifically put my daughter in her crib after lunch with soft music, she would never go to sleep on her own (and it takes a good half hour for her to usually wind down enough to sleep). Many parents still have to be actively involved with getting their child to sleep with patting or rocking. You should also be getting her to bed earlier. You cant control when she wakes up, but you can certainly control when she goes to sleep. Like a previous poster stated, sleep begets sleeps.
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Gym with a creche?
  • diddylove
    diddylove Posts: 30
    Options
    Run with pram
    Carry infant or walk with child in pool
    Carry weight
    Circuit Training
    Gymball
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have 4 young kids. I either get up early or they hang out with me while I workout. You should be able to get a 2 yo to leave you alone enough to workout.
  • spiceyandsugar
    Options
    Hi

I dont have kids yet but am quite creative in solving problems ;-) Here are some ideas

Instead of a shower you could clean yourself down with babywipes and put dry fresh clothes and underwear on ;-) till you cab bathe later.

maybe they could exercise with you? You could make it fun to encourage them. Can you get a chair they sit in and play their favouite programme?

Be realistic with your time, ie if you cant fit in an hour, do 20min. thats def better than non at all.

good luck xxxx
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I suggest the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child to get naps going again, and a set bedtime. She sounds strung out from lack of sleep. Also, does she sleep in a crib or do you have a playpen you can set up, or strap her into the high chair for half an hour. She can play, colour, have a snack, or sit and whine for that time, but she will be confined to watching you without jumping on top of you. Better yet, quiet time in the afternoon, whether she sleeps or not. You can put her in the crib with some music on and a few board books. A half an hour quiet time is not unreasonable.

Best advice in this thread. Parents should be controlling their children, not the other way around. I'm astounded at the people in this thread who think it's perfectly acceptable for a child to not be able to occupy himself for a half hour.

Read the book referenced here, you'll be able to work out and also have the benefit of not having your kids turn out to be codependent brats.

Please don't be so judgmental while agreeing with me. Moms need help and encouragement, not condemnation from others. Trust me, we tear ourselves apart enough, second guess every decision and are riddled with guilt and feel the weighty responsibility we have to turn out responsible, caring, contributing members of society. What we don't get enough of is basic compassion and understanding. :flowerforyou:

Beautifully said. Thank you.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    im a full time mom and i work full time and my husband works 2nd shift so i dont even get a break until after my dd has gone to bed.

i work out on my lunch break or i take dd to a gym with free daycare.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Parents get plenty of encouragement, to the point where people coddle them and reinforce their notion that the world revolves around them and they are the busiest people in the world because they have a child under 12.

If someone came on here and said they don't have time to exercise because they're on call for their job 24 hours a day they'd get reamed for being lazy and not making the time. If it's a kid that requires attention it's no different. Set your priorities and make time for what's important.

If someone's kids are controlling their lives to the point where they cannot do a 20-30 minute task they're bad parents, plain and simple.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Parents get plenty of encouragement, to the point where people coddle them and reinforce their notion that the world revolves around them and they are the busiest people in the world because they have a child under 12.

If someone came on here and said they don't have time to exercise because they're on call for their job 24 hours a day they'd get reamed for being lazy and not making the time. If it's a kid that requires attention it's no different. Set your priorities and make time for what's important.

If someone's kids are controlling their lives to the point where they cannot do a 20-30 minute task they're bad parents, plain and simple.

I completely disagree, I dont know the OP but I can tell you for the first 3 years of my older daughters life I thought every second of my life needed to revolve around her and wasn't sure what was acceptable, (a little bit of tv so I could shower) She is a new mom and is still learning. That does not make her a bad parent! 11 years and another kid later I know better but I didn't in the beginning. Calling a new parent a bad parent while they are still trying to figure out this new routine and new role in life is incredibly insensitive and downright rude.
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow. As a MOM, I am offended for the OP from some of the responses on here that I consider attacks, unfair judgement, inconsiderate and ignorant. It's not like me to respond to such negativity or to even give those who are unworthy to me a single thought. . .nor do I care to step down a few maturity levels to meet someone else's. But this time, with that being said. . . .

To you negative nellies on here --- Shame on you, and STHU. The end. (good grief!) :noway:
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    mother of 5 hear last year when they were about 3-4 the youngest i did a few things. i took them everyday for a walk in the summer stroller or wagon. last year we bought a trailer for our bike, this year we take them swimming. hope this helps