this may seem a little petty

Options
Kind of some background info: I know I haven’t given "weight Loss" a real shot. My diary is public and I know I eat HORRIBLE. But I’ve been struggling with trying to get into the groove of even trying lol. If that makes sense, I’ve had weigh loss on my mind since Oct. but never really did anything about it until Dec, and then struggled through January to get into just recording my foods. And finally in Feb I got into the habit of counting and recording and actually trying to keep up with exercising. Nothing too intense just a 30 minute walks 2-3 times a week. I've flirted with bodyweight training but haven’t gotten it to stick like a habit yet. I really feel Feb has been the month I finally actually gave weight loss a real trying shot.
I was very proud of myself this month because I thought surely I’ve lost a pound or maybe even 2. But the scale didn’t even move. No I haven’t measured my waist of thighs or anything. But I guess I could tell a difference in my midsection, it looked noticeably less bloaty. I just feel down because I don’t know if I'm doing anything right. I was so proud of myself this month, and I know it’s going to be a long road as I want to lose at least 30lbs.
I guess what I’m looking for is anyone who has words of encouragement who have taken the long road. Or have been where I have before and do all the new starting good habits just slowly evolve into better habits to help with weight loss? I don’t want pills I’ve tried that. I don’t have diet plans I can’t commit. Am I just being Emo? lol

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the main thing.

You'll have good days, bad days, and awful days.

Just log, exercise, rinse, and repeat.

I would definitely recommend strength training along with the walks you've been taking.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I guess what I’m looking for is anyone who has words of encouragement who have taken the long road. Or have been where I have before and do all the new starting good habits just slowly evolve into better habits to help with weight loss?

It has taken me a long time to get to losing weight. I had to learn and master a lot of things first. I did baby steps with everything it seems. Looking back, I guess the positive is that the habits are completely ingrained now. I wouldn't dream of not doing the things that I am doing. But I fell down a lot while I was learning.

I can say for sure that I think that taking small steps one at a time is a better way to go.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want.
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a story very similar to yours. I have been on here for months, but not really been doing the correct things. However, somewhere around Valentine's Day, I joined a gym that I love. The scale is not showing big results, 8 lbs so far. However, I can see a noticeable difference in how my clothes fit.
    As for what I am doing, I use the elliptical machine 5 days a week for 30 minutes at a time, and do strength training 3 days a week for 30 minutes at a time. My excuse forever was, I didn't have time, but I have realized over the last month, taking this time makes me feel so much better that I can accomplish so much more the rest of the time!!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If weight loss was easy, everyone would be skinny. Count calories, work out, and stick with it. You can do this! You just need to want it badly enough.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I know it is extremley frustrating when the scale doesn't budge but take measurments instead. Ive barely lost a pound in the last 6 weeks but I have lost a ton of inches and my clothes are fitting better each day. Hang in there and when it comes to your diet just try and make small changes at first and go from there. Soon enough your body will be craving lots of healthy foods and the pounds will start to fall off!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

I would definitely recommend strength training along with the walks you've been taking.

Yes, consistency (and persistence) are key. Just keep doing the right things and you WILL get results. But remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you WILL get there.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Kind of some background info: I know I haven’t given "weight Loss" a real shot. My diary is public and I know I eat HORRIBLE. But I’ve been struggling with trying to get into the groove of even trying lol. If that makes sense, I’ve had weigh loss on my mind since Oct. but never really did anything about it until Dec, and then struggled through January to get into just recording my foods. And finally in Feb I got into the habit of counting and recording and actually trying to keep up with exercising. Nothing too intense just a 30 minute walks 2-3 times a week. I've flirted with bodyweight training but haven’t gotten it to stick like a habit yet. I really feel Feb has been the month I finally actually gave weight loss a real trying shot.
    I was very proud of myself this month because I thought surely I’ve lost a pound or maybe even 2. But the scale didn’t even move. No I haven’t measured my waist of thighs or anything. But I guess I could tell a difference in my midsection, it looked noticeably less bloaty. I just feel down because I don’t know if I'm doing anything right. I was so proud of myself this month, and I know it’s going to be a long road as I want to lose at least 30lbs.
    I guess what I’m looking for is anyone who has words of encouragement who have taken the long road. Or have been where I have before and do all the new starting good habits just slowly evolve into better habits to help with weight loss? I don’t want pills I’ve tried that. I don’t have diet plans I can’t commit. Am I just being Emo? lol

Don't want to offend you but I feel like you are not making the most of this wonderful website. I started here without any great plans in mind, but I quickly saw how easy it is to log my food and aim for a target of calories per day. I haven't really been into exercise much in the past few decades, but this website helped me make the connection between calories, exercise, and weight. So now I stick to my calorie goal, exercise in a number of different ways (to earn back my dinner calories), and I'm losing a steady pound a week. And I feel fantastic.

This program is here, waiting for you to use it. So make the most of it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You have started to make it a habit. Just keep tweeking. Add a few vegetables here, eat a better portion size there and before you know it you will be losing.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I first started here at MFP, I had horrible eating habits, virtually no exercise (except walking my doggies). It took me quite a while to find what worked for me. Logging EVERYTHING and not lieing to myself was the first step. If I was going to eat crap, then I was going to log crap. Once I was able to take accountability for what I was eating, I started to make adjustments to my diet and tried to add more exercise in my daily activity.

After a couple of months of figuring out what changes I could make that I could and WOULD stick with the rest of my life, things started to happen; I started the drop the pounds, feel healthier and have much more energy.

Give yourself some time, TAKE A HARD LOOK at your lifestyle and start to make changes and move more. For me, if I would have looked at the BIG picture right away, I may not have made it this far.

Just please don't give up. Your health is worth the little bit of extra work that it will take to get there. After doing this for a little more than an year now, this isn't hard anymore, this is how I choose to live. I hope you can get here too!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Be consistent and make new good habits. Take baby steps. I've never lost as much weight and kept it off as I did taking the long, slow route. Something to think about that can help is this: Did you wake up one morning and just have that extra 50 (for me) pounds just magically appear? No? Then why should I expect that it will magically disappear after one week of being "good"? It took me (likely) months to put that weight on, so I have to give it time to come off!
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. persistance and consistancy is key. and to a poster above, i take no offese because you're right i havnt used the MFP to its fullest yet but i think thats what i'm trying to acheive. and i know i've only been at this a month, so i dont plan on giving up yet. I supposed i just wanted to make sure i was on the right path. it seems like so many people can just take off with their life changes and i felt like i shouldnt even try to keep up because i already knew i would fail with such hgh expectation.
    and lol @ JenMc14 because thats my exact mentality without even realizing its lol i catch myself saying "ugh! i've been so good with that ONE salad and im not evening considering the swig of cole of the half of chocolate of the extra peice of cake i ate!! Why am i still fat?!?"" hahaha thats how i see myself sometimes hahaha. i need to engrain it takes time and time is ok.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Love this!
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Give yourself some time, TAKE A HARD LOOK at your lifestyle and start to make changes and move more. For me, if I would have looked at the BIG picture right away, I may not have made it this far.

Just please don't give up. Your health is worth the little bit of extra work that it will take to get there. After doing this for a little more than an year now, this isn't hard anymore, this is how I choose to live. I hope you can get here too!

i think thats my problem, i havnt taken a HARD look. ive just been poking and peeking around it lol :-) thank you everyone for your words. i really want to get to that year and say "yea, i did it, i improved my life for the better."
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One thing in your food diary that really stuck out to me was the extremely high levels of sodium, excess sodium causes water retention which then is relfected as either weight gain or no loss...Try to reduce your soidum intake by graudally decreasing the amount of processed/fast food/canned foods you eat and aim to be under 2500mg everyday and drink water (don't drink your calories)...

Try this along with a dedicated exercise plan of 30-60 minutes at least 5 days a week and I bet you by this time next month you will be recording a loss..
  • deuce7980
    deuce7980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have had similar patterns, always trying new diets, not sticking with it, blah blah. I am finally feeling a mental shift though, I have acquired some friends on here and knowing they are always checking and reading help keep me accountable. Putting myself out there is a risk I needed to take. Being persistent and knowing a bad meal doesn't ruin all my work is key. Just keep being positive and making exercise part of my life is helping. If you need some daily support we are all here for you!!!
  • nashiyashi
    Options
    Hi there! I took a look at your food diary and I have one basic suggestion based on what I saw that might be a good place to start. It seems like on the days when you overeat, you tend to have meals with a lot of different things in them, such as both potatoes and flour tortillas together, or both salmon and chicken in one meal. It might be helpful to try to limit each meal to like 3 foods even if they all aren't the healthiest starting out, such as one protein, one starch/grain, and one veggie/fruit serving (these can be mixed like in a salad of course), as I believe there is research showing that the more food options we have in front of us, the more we tend to eat because out body is excited about having so many options. If there is less of a variety in front of us, we will get bored with the food quicker and tend not to eat as many calories. This seems like a good place to start, and you can gradually begin to make healthier choices from there. Good luck, you can do it!
  • ccorrales63
    Options
    Consistency, Commitment, Sacrifice, Strength! Their all relative, just gotta dig deep! Theres no trick to this, just diet and exercise!
    Ive lost 125lbs, thought I could never do it, guess what......IT CAN BE DONE!

Only the strongest are given the toughest battles!
  • fitmelinda7
    fitmelinda7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can COMPLETELY identify with you. I think it takes guts just to even give it a try. I think that you are on the right track. Just keep taking those small steps.

There are always SO many things on a daily basis that can throw me into the wrong frame of mind. Being honest with myself about my eating and exercise habits was/is the hardest part for me. Once I saw everything in "balck and white" on MFP...........wow, I knew I had to make changes. I am working on just staying on track, and not allowing small set backs to encourage me to quit. With me it's a whole mind thing. :) I work to stay in a good frame of mind.

Keep tracking.........keep walking! :) You WILL make it! :) Have a good day!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    one month of kinda sorta trying jsut isnt enough to make a real difference. You need to make this a lifestyle change and work at it all year long. I usually relax a bit during the holidays but then am gungho come January to be in shape for Spring. Im already pretty fit and still have 1 lb to go to be exactly where i was this time last year. I am still trying to overcome those 6 weeks during the holidays that i slacked.

I dont mean to discourage you but it will not happen over night or even over a season. You have to be cognizant of what you are putting in your body and how you are treating your body all year long. You will get there if you just keep going and be realistic about your results.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You're already improving yourself by the small changes you've made. Look at it this way, you may have no lost any weight but you didn't gain any, either, and that's a positive step for someone just starting out. Baby steps are better, IMHO, because you can incorporate small changes rather than feeling like you're trying to change everything at once and getting overwhelmed.

A few words of advice:

1. Get out the measuring tape and measure. It helps when the scale doesn't move to see improvements in other areas. Plus you'll regret later not having a baseline to measure against when you're close to reaching your goal.
    2. Keep making those small changes.
    3. Log everything, it really does make a difference. When in doubt, always overestimate your calories rather than trying to find the entry with the fewest.
    4. If you're doing this right, you're in it for the long haul. You're already going about it the right way by trying to do it without the quick fixes. You'll reach your goal as long as you keep doing the right things so it doesn't really matter how long it takes you to get there if you're going to be living like this for the rest of your life.
    5. Since you're going to be living like this for the rest of your life, make sure what you're doing is something you can sustain. If you're too hungry, change your calorie goal to something more sustainable. If you don't like your workout routine, find another.

I think you get where I'm going with all of this. Good luck to you!