Is eating food actually necessary?

Options

Replies

• medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I exercise is so I can enjoy good food!

Not that I eat tons of junk, but, hey, ya gotta live!

How many of us have counted how many lunges (or miles or steps or whatever) go into a scoop of ice cream or a small chocolate bar?
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I could not imagine life without food. I rather be overweight eating real food then being skinny and having what he has.
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you have to eat ice cream.

AND pizza...
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...interesting concept
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's necessary, it's delicious!

Agreed
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No

Identity theif!!!!!!!!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting concept. I've often wished food didn't exist and that we would just take tasteless pills of sorts for our nutrients and calories. There would be no weight issues, food addictions, etc. Dosage would just need to be adjusted based on goals. Unfortunately thats impossible. Our food addictions would make drinking our calories only with no variety almost impossible. It would probably lead to binging and even more food issues... But it's a nice thought...to not have to stress and struggle with diet.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No

Identity theif!!!!!!!!
    :angry:
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Soylent Green
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Seems doable, but he makes a claim that there is no evidence organic food is more nutritious than conventional food, and there is evidence. UC Davis did a study in 2007 that found organic kiwis had more antioxidants than conventionally grown kiwis. Interested to see what becomes of this guy in the long term.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    No way, I can't imagine never eating, or mostly subsisting on this "soylent" stuff....this guy seems totally insane.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Is eating food actually necessary? No. My mother had mouth and throat cancer and had a feeding tube inserted into her stomach. For the last 3 or 4 years of her life, she only had meal replacement shakes. Would I want to give up solid food? Absolutely not!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Um, this is not exactly a news flash. There are a number of liquid "foods" that provide complete nutritition. Things such as EleCare and Neocate.
  • Jerbear1985
    Jerbear1985 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found it to be very interesting and I think I might take a stab at recreating it. Perfect nutrition made easy. And then the idea of eating meals for social purposes- like going out for social purposes. He also states it could be used purely as a supplement.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Human body is incredibly complex. We only understand a fraction of it. They are discovering new and new things, including things previously unknown about absorption and interaction of different nutrients. It is pretty arrogant of this idiot to think that he has figured out everything and can replace natural way that our bodies adapted to over countless generations and that there is no long term consequences for doing so.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary for me to eat food to live? Probably not
    Is it necessary for those around me to live? Definitely

Lol, true story.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I would want to see A LOT more study done on it first, though. Preferably in an actual lab setting.

But, if it proved not to have any horrible long term consequences, I would be willing to use it. Not all the time, but sometimes having to cook is annoying.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Human body is incredibly complex. We only understand a fraction of it. They are discovering new and new things, including things previously unknown about absorption and interaction of different nutrients. It is pretty arrogant of this idiot to think that he has figured out everything and can replace natural way that our bodies adapted to over countless generations and that there is no long term consequences for doing so.

Hubris plays a huge part in most science ...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I would want to see A LOT more study done on it first, though. Preferably in an actual lab setting.

But, if it proved not to have any horrible long term consequences, I would be willing to use it. Not all the time, but sometimes having to cook is annoying.

You can buy nutritionally complete liquid food right now. It's been fully tested. It's not cheap though.

Just google Neocate. It even comes in chocolate and fruit flavors.