Eating back calorie advice needed

Options

Replies

• dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with not using the exercise amounts on MFP. I use the elliptical all the time. I am 187 lbs. 48 years old. MFP states that I burn almost double the calories that my Elliptical (which is set with my info) states. I checked today using my bodybugg and the difference between my elliptical amount and the bodybugg was <60 calories, yet MFP was >120 calories more. Getting a HRM is the best way to actually see what is being burned . As far as the extra calories, MFP is set up with a calorie amount that will get you to lose weight based on the information put in; eating the extra calories are there because when most people work out your body requires more calories to function properly. Eat them if you are hungry or feel that you are weakened in any way.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to overestimate the calories burned in workouts, particularly if you plan on eating back those calories.

People burn vastly different amounts in an hour, for many different reasons (their physical size, intensity and type of workout, etc.), but in my personal experience, just about every estimate I've ever had was well over the amount my food cravings (and the pounds) suggested I'd actually burned.

MFP is one of the big offenders, as it pretty regularly tells me I've burned twice as much as the evidence suggests. I generally burn about 450 with an hour's worth of moderate/intense cardio, but so many estimates, from websites to heart rate monitors, tell me I've burned 1000 or more.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is how I want to be. Based on all the responses I don't think I really explained my problem well.

I have a very hard time with self-control. The diet itself has been very difficult for me. However, I have committed to putting everything in my mouth in the tracker, and I really don't want to see that red number there. So I can limit myself to my daily amount (difficult but not impossible). But when I add in the exercise, now I have xxx calories extra that are there. SO I eat them.

I guess my question really is 1) how do I improve my self control and/or 2) is there another way to log the exercise that doesn't show the calories. Because if I am really hungry I want to know how much I get to eat back if I want.

Change your mindset. You didn't get overweight by eating a normal healthy diet. You ate too many calories (whatever those calories were comprised of) and/or exercised too little.

Don't think of it as a 'diet'. Think of it as changing your way of eating -- for life. Eat the way a person your goal weight would eat to maintain, and make healthy nutritious choices most of the time. You can still have the junk if you want -- just not a whole lot of it. You want to feed your body the nutrients it needs, AND you can still allow for the cravings you want in moderation.

Food will be so much better at that point, because food isn't evil. It's tasty!
  • shaneewilliams51
    shaneewilliams51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My #1 rule is to eat when I am hungry. Some days that requires me to eat back a lot of the calories burned and others not so much. I find that the more fruit and veggies I eat, the less hungry I am throughout the day and ultimately less calories I eat. =] Do what ever works for you!
  • Conniekui
    Conniekui Posts: 24
    Options
    Have a healthy low calorie snack ready ann waiting before you work out. That way if you are hungry you know exactly what to eat instead of grabbing the nearest thing like chips etc. That's what I do and it's helped me stay on track. keep an apple, avocado, banana etc handy with your water:)
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Eating them back doesn't work for everyone. I know a lot of people on here preach eating them back, but it does not work for me. I have been steadily loosing since Jan 6th (16 lbs down) by not eating them or barely dipping in to the exercise calories. SO, I am going to do what is working for me.

Editing to add: If I get to a point to what I am doing stops working, I would consider some extra calories and changing my exercise routine. But for now, I am doing what works.

I agree COMPLETELY. I know some people who go to the gym for hours and hours eat them back and that helps their metabolism etc. But, a) I only go to the gym for 30-45 minutes of cardio and maybe some weights if I'm up to it. I choose to most of the time not eat back my exercise calories and it seems to be working for me. I lost 15 lbs in a month and a half this way (though the first 5 were probably water weight).

Honestly, I am proud of my work so far and I do not think it is necessary to eat back those calories (unless you're working out like CRAZYYYY which I am not).

That said, some days I go a little over my calorie limit and I think that is okay, too! Don't worry. :) Do what feels right for your body. Your're hungry? DEFINITELY EAT MORE. If you're not, then stick to your daily goal.

I hope I've helped a little!
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've asked a question and ignored any answers you don't agree with to be honest.

Look at it this way, im currently allowed 1760 calories per day. If i stick to this whilst eating the correct foods i will lose around 2Ibs per week until i need to re-adjust the calculator. This is without exercise.

Using your logic, last Thursday when i burnt 986 calories i shouldn't have eaten more than the 1760 given to me originally. So in essence, you believe it would be healthy for a man weighing 240 Ibs at 6"1 to get through the day with just 774 calories?

Are you sure?

Not at all. You should be allowed to eat back the calories if you want. Today I was more hungry after I worked out so I did want to eat back my calories with some extra nutritious food. But often, I find myself going, well I'm full but I have 150 left so I'll just have a cookie. Which is not giving me nutrients, so why am I bothering? Just because the number is there. I was wondering how people deal with that particular issue. I didn't mean for this to become an argument about whether or not people SHOULD or SHOULD NOT eat back calories. I was trying to discuss something different (related, yes, but different).
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Kate, I have never eaten the calories back. I just try to get as close to my regular calorie goal each day as possible. If I earned extra calories from exercise, and I go a tad bit over, no worries. I also just don't feel the need to eat them. If I did feel hungry, I would definetly dip into them. There is no straight answer that fits every single person. I am just doing what works for me right now. I am also completely willing to change it up if I start plateauing. Just have to see what works for you.
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My #1 rule is to eat when I am hungry. Some days that requires me to eat back a lot of the calories burned and others not so much. I find that the more fruit and veggies I eat, the less hungry I am throughout the day and ultimately less calories I eat. =] Do what ever works for you!

This ^ I love fruits and vegetables.
  • monacienta
    Options
    Hi,

This has beeb great afformation for me. No wonder I have been so hungry lately.
  • samanthajo1994
    Options
    do NOTeat back calories you burned while excersing. you're just hurting yourself and ruin your workout.
  • samanthajo1994
    Options
    What I do is. if I burned 400 calories while excerising I try and make sure I have between 350-400 calories left at the end of the day. try not to eat back the calories you ate. you'd be ruining the workout you just had. this is a very common problem that a lot of people make. Try and and eat calories that will keep you full longer as well, so you won't get cravings. hope this helps!
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are many different attitudes on MFP regarding exercise calories, but you really have to figure out what works best for YOU! Personally, I always log exercise but usually don't eat back much if any of them unless I'm actually hungry. I'd also be careful with using the calorie expenditure listed on your elliptical because those usually overestimate by quite a bit. Your best bet would be to invest in a heart rate monitor to determine how much you're actually burning during your workouts.

could not agree more ;)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat back my exercise calories. Maybe once or twice I have dipped into them. I eat 1500 calories a day, and exercise 5 or 6 times a week. I've been losing weight for 20 months now. I'm so close to my goal now and thinking that finally I may have to increase those calories as weight loss has slowed down, although I'm getting smaller all the time.
  • lmprebel
    lmprebel Posts: 1
    Options
    My dietitian told me I was NOT to eat those calories back!!:blushing:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm pretty new here...started my diet on 2/21/13. For that first week I lost 3lbs which I am pretty happy with (though I know it's mostly water weight). Anyway, I decided to mix in some exercise as well--I generally do the elliptical.

My problem is this: when I log the exercise, then I see all those extra calories I get to eat, and hungry or not, I eat them. I don't want to eat back all my exercise calories because my whole goal is to lose the weight, so that's just making it like I didn't exercise. (And believe me when I tell you, I'd rather eat less and not exercise, but I know it is good for me in other ways as well so I am determined.) I have considered not logging the exercise but I like to see that add up over the week.

Anyway, to make a long story short: does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it? Not log the exercise? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

The calorie goal number MFP give you already has a sufficient deficit and is calculated with the intent that you SHOULD eat back your exercise calories. You've earned them, eat them!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If you're going with MFP's set up then yes you are SUPPOSED to eat your calories back. One of my friends actually emailed them and asked, because there is so much debate here.

They already put you at a deficit to lose when you set it up, so even if you eat back all your calories (which you should) you'll still be losing....that 0.5lbs, 1lb, or 2lbs you chose when setting it up based on the deficit that was set by them based on what you told them about how fast you want to lose as well as the stats you gave them.

Your body needs a certain amount of fuel (just like a car) to just LIVE -- heartbeat, digest, breathe, etc. When you sit up, that takes more energy and therefore requires more fuel. Even more for walking. And even MORE for strenuous exercise.

Fuel your body so it can do what it needs. You wouldn't expect your car to function without fuel.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat all my exercise calories back, it depends how I feel. If I feel hungry then I'll eat but keep in the limit. If not, I don't force myself to eat.
    So some days I'll burn 500 calories and eat 1300 calories. Or I'll eat 1500. It just depends on how you feel, don't force yourself to eat if you're not hungry!

Yeah, this is how I want to be. Based on all the responses I don't think I really explained my problem well.

I have a very hard time with self-control. The diet itself has been very difficult for me. However, I have committed to putting everything in my mouth in the tracker, and I really don't want to see that red number there. So I can limit myself to my daily amount (difficult but not impossible). But when I add in the exercise, now I have xxx calories extra that are there. SO I eat them.

I guess my question really is 1) how do I improve my self control and/or 2) is there another way to log the exercise that doesn't show the calories. Because if I am really hungry I want to know how much I get to eat back if I want.

Also regarding the HRM...wish I could afford one. I am out of a job and just plopped $55 for a month pass to the only gym in my town. Hopefully will get enough together for next month (if I don't have a job by then). But anyway I really can't spend the extra money on that now. :(

I know where you are coming from re self control...I have decided to change things up and changed from sedentary to moderately active, gives me a few hundred cals extra each day. (went form 138- to 1550 approx). I have created myself an excersise which says what I did and that it is 50% of the calories the heart rate monitor says, that way i can add and eat it if i choose.... I will be trying this for a few weeks and see how it goes.... you could put in ZERO calories if you like.... I wish you well keep at it...
    add me as a friend if you like
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i usually go with how i feel. if i'm real hungry i'll usually eat the calories back but if i'm not i don't. I just make sure to eat every 3 hrs to keep my metabolism up.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Stop listening to the people here who claim you absolutely have to eat back the calories. Of course you'll lose more weight if you don't eat them back.

If your problem is with self control, don't log the exercise. Or just put it in the notes if you want to keep track.

A great book that has helped me with self control is the Body Fat Solution by Venuto. It's the best $13 I ever spent.