What setting to use for activity level?

Options
Hi ~ I just wanted to get suggestions on what activity level I should be using in my settings. Currently I am using "Lightly Active" but someone recently suggested that perhaps I should change it to Sedetary (I had posted that I am not losing weight... I seem to be losing and gaining the same pound). The person stated that they changed theirs and they saw movement. But I wouldn't think of myself as sedetary, but honestly I don't know what the proper guidelines would be.

I'm a stay at home mom, I have a toddler that is constantly on the go. In the mornings, we're usually out and about where I am mostly on my feet. Not much activity from 1-3 (naptime) then on feet again from about 3:30-5:30- (picking up oldest from school, making dinner, etc).

I exercise at least 6 times per week (currently doing Chalean Extreme & a Couch to 5 k type of program 3 times per week on treadmill as well).

Any input appreciated! Thanks!

Beth

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Your current daily goal is only 1230. MFP won't set it below 1200, so changing your activity level isn't really going to make a difference. If you're always chasing after a toddler, "sedentary" probably isn't appropriate anyway.

Looks like you don't have much to lose--what do you have MFP set to? Half a pound a week is considered good for those of us who are near our goal weight.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Your toddler may be constantly on the go but you may not be. Being on your feet, running errands, or doing housework is part of every day life. I would choose sedentary. Make sure to log your workouts using the Exercise tab and eat back all (or most) of your extra earned calories. Follow this for 1 month before making further adjustments.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sedentary, the things you describe aren't the type of activity that burns a lot of calories. I have a desk job and no toddler and I move around that much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather underestimate my activity than overestimate it. I'd go for sedentary as well. For me lightly active means a job where you're on your feet and moving around, for example. If you're actively playing with your kid for 2 hours a day (running with them or pushing them in a stroller for 2 hours) though I'd probably say lightly active, but I know when my kids were small it was pretty much pushing them in the stroller or standing around while they played, which I hardly consider being active.

But yeah I'd try and see how many calories you use with your workouts as well and eat part of them back. Or you can say slightly active and not eat the calories back. But either way, it's much harder to lose weight when you don't have too much to lose.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what's your BMR?
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your current daily goal is only 1230. MFP won't set it below 1200, so changing your activity level isn't really going to make a difference. If you're always chasing after a toddler, "sedentary" probably isn't appropriate anyway.

Looks like you don't have much to lose--what do you have MFP set to? Half a pound a week is considered good for those of us who are near our goal weight.

Hi Thanks! Currently its set to 1 lb per week. I didn't think sedentary was fitting. I truly am on my feet moving around all morning and then again from 3:30 on.
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the input. I truly am on my feet moving around (walking) almost non stop from about 9-11:30/12. Not getting winded/working out type of walking, but on my feet nonetheless. and also in the afternoons. Hence not being sure what to put.

Thank you again