Vegetarian needing advice on iron

Options
2»

Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the food people have mentioned, I take iron supplements (food alone isn't enough for me, whether I'm eating meat or not). I was told and read that if you take it with vitamin C, it helps absorption. THis week I tried taking it with oranges in my smoothie since I don't buy orange juice anymore. :)
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but I do not eat red meat, and have the same concerns. I have to take an iron supplement, because I suffer from low iron stores. I also have a bowl of iron fortified cereal for my snack at night - Raisin Bran, 90% iron Mini Wheats, etc.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am vegetarian and was recently diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia. To correct this, I eat a lot of lentils, oatmeal, fortified cereals, spinach, etc. In combination with vitamin C, of course, which helps with the absorption. I also take a ferrous sulphate tablet once a day. I have to make sure though that I do not have any caffeine within an hour or two of taking the tablet because this also interferes with the absorption. It is pretty ridiculous how many things interfere with the absorption of iron! Take a look at my diary to see the foods that I eat that have a lot of iron in them. Just make sure you research what to couple the iron-rich foods with and what to avoid when you are eating an iron-rich meal.

Also, I have so much more energy now that I am actually paying attention to my iron intake.

Good luck!