What's my problem?

Options
124»

Replies

• TMHoy
    TMHoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ...Now as for that darn pie...listen, it is going to end up in your mouth. throw it away, or if you don't want to waste it, wrap it up well and stick it way in the back of the freezer. You will forget it's there. Stop "visiting it just to say hi" lmao!

It's already gone. Thanks for sharing about your diet coke problem. LOL.
  • TMHoy
    Options
    Listen, I quit smoking ten years ago...

And, that's awesome. You just gave yourself a super gift of living.
  • TMHoy
    Options
    ...but you can't have treats (plural) all weekend AND not track during the week AND expect to lose weight. there's no "best" way to budget for your treats, you just need to one way or another (i'd suggest whichever one feels most natural).

Now, this makes some real sense to me. I agree, my portions may have slipped some since I'm not measuring or logging any more. And honestly, I have lost more weight by logging here than not. I really, really like your ideas. I'm going to try them. Thanks so much.
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    OK, I can do that. I haven't logged my food for quite some time. At this point, I am making not just guesses on measuring food, but educated guesses. As I said, I spent at least half a year diligently measuring my food, and I know understand what it weighs/measures.

I think what I'm really getting at is how to stick with it. How to stay motivated and not cave in and eat McD's. How to live normally. My husband and I go out every Friday. Tonight it's PF Chang's. I understand that if I eat McD's, I will not lose. I can work on avoiding that, but I also can't spend every day on my diet and not living a regular life with my husband (i.e. eating out).

PF Changs's is a great choice! That have some really yummy but reasonably healthy stuff. McD's not so much. And who wants to eat a lame salad from McD's when you could be eating french fries?!? Are you going to McD's because you are out of the house and starving? Or are you leaving the house to get it? Try checking out the menu at P.F. Chang's online before you go.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This has been such a great post to read!! Thank you for posting and sharing! I, too, am such a food gobbler, that on weekends I feel like I am OWED the freedom to have my snacks!

I am going to re-read this post and be inspired!

I am happiest to see your 15 month sobriety! That is a gift to yourself and the weight loss will come. Just look at is a little slower! I wanted to lose 30 pounds -- It has taken me one year to lose 10, but that is because I love to snack... I am trying harder this year to see if I can get to 20 pounds....

Good luck and keep on postin'
    connie
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    I cook a lot at home, and that gets hard logging-wise. I made pizza last night, now I have to go use the recipe tool to figure out the cals!

I struggle with this too. But once you figure out the numbers for a recipe, you can make it again and again. Just measure and count everything as you're putting it in. Also, a lot of recipes you find online now have the nutritional info. AND there are a lot of online recipes already listed in options you can select on here.
  • TMHoy
    Options
    And who wants to eat a lame salad from McD's when you could be eating french fries?!? Are you going to McD's because you are out of the house and starving? Or are you leaving the house to get it? Try checking out the menu at P.F. Chang's online before you go.

Exactly. We went to McD's because we didn't want what we had planned on cooking for dinner (gumbo), and my husband was craving it, which in turn I easily caved in. We do that a lot. One of us wants something and the other caves in and goes for it. So we left the house to get it. I have checked out PF's menu online and feel I'm prepared.
  • TMHoy
    Options
    This has been such a great post to read!! Thank you for posting and sharing! I, too, am such a food gobbler, that on weekends I feel like I am OWED the freedom to have my snacks!

I am going to re-read this post and be inspired!

I am happiest to see your 15 month sobriety! That is a gift to yourself and the weight loss will come. Just look at is a little slower! I wanted to lose 30 pounds -- It has taken me one year to lose 10, but that is because I love to snack... I am trying harder this year to see if I can get to 20 pounds....

Good luck and keep on postin'
    connie

Thank you Connie!!!!!!!!!!!!! Part of learning how to live life without booze is learning how to be kind to myself. I'm not perfect, I'm a work in progress.
  • TMHoy
    Options
    I cook a lot at home, and that gets hard logging-wise. I made pizza last night, now I have to go use the recipe tool to figure out the cals!

I struggle with this too. But once you figure out the numbers for a recipe, you can make it again and again. Just measure and count everything as you're putting it in. Also, a lot of recipes you find online now have the nutritional info. AND there are a lot of online recipes already listed in options you can select on here.

Well, shoot, unfortunately I'm a creative cook and hardly ever follow a recipe. I can still recreate it online though, it's just a bit time consuming. I will keep trying!!
  • TMHoy
    Options
    Question: I made a pizza last night using Pillsbury crust dough. My husband sliced it into smaller pieces, I think 20 total. What do I put in the recipe blank for how many persons my recipe serves?
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Can be done, even with some fast food. I'm 39. I eat at McDonald's at least three times a week and have lost 8.11% since 1/1/13. I'm 5'3".

I try do (God willing) two hard cardio workouts in the week, toning, shaping, or calisthenics (mix of cardio and toning) the other days.

McDonalds Can Do's:

Breadfast is Best--
    *Yogurt Fruit Cup (You said, no yogurt, so that's a shame. Maybe you just ate too much at one time? I've had some flare-ups, too, now that you mention it. Hmmm).
    *Egg McMuffin (ham, not sausage).
    *Coffee (I take my own so that I can get it flavored well without calories--theirs is too strong for me)

Other Meals:
    *Southwest Grilled chicken Salad, supper yummy and full of flavor! I don't use the dressing, just squeeze the lime over it. It's very flavorful without it.
    Be sure to eat two or three of someone else's fries ; ) It is enough to ward off the tantalizing smell, and remind you that they really aren't that great. Just fries.
    Cheeseburger/even a McDouble, but only if I've got room for it that day in my total count and I can get to the next meal without snacking. If I want a longer meal, I'll eat at home first, then take the kids...or go through the drive through and eat when I get home. It's only five miles. I should live. : )
    Four Piece Chicken Nugget (for the hankering) This is a reward at the end of a long 'good" day or it won't usually work in my calorie budget.

Other restaurants: I love salmon and wild rice with mixed veggies on the menus...usually SO good, and in your calorie range. Or Tilapia and the same. Or shrimp. Even a 3-4 in steak, with half a potato and green beans (pour the juice on the potato for moisture and flavor instead of butter and it helps a ton. If the potato is huge, split it with hubby).

The deal is: I could easily go over my weekly needs by overeating on the weekends with three teens. I figure if I'm going to work that hard during the week, I don't want to lose it all being "bad" on the weekends. I want it to work! Yeah, definitely keep logging, and make sure that your "rewards" fit into your weekly allowance. If I know I'll be going to a special family event or party, I allow a few "spike" maintenance days every week or two, but, I try to eat on the low side the few days before so that the week still goes at or under my goal.

We have enough celebrations, holidays, special events, and reward days that if I took everyone up on all of them, I'd be over my weekly goal every single week. Honestly, I've had to stop eating out as much. Thankfully, hubby and I are on the same page. (He's lost 12 pounds just "eating along" with me, not really logging! Yay!)

Hope those ideas help. I know we aren't all the same, just hoping to inspire.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    "Your Question: I made a pizza last night using Pillsbury crust dough. My husband sliced it into smaller pieces, I think 20 total. What do I put in the recipe blank for how many persons my recipe serves?"

I'd put in there what I would normally eat as a serving. Pillsbury dough is something I'd probably stay away from, though, personally. I am limiting myself to Healthy Life bread, an occasional biscuit, thin bagels, and English bagels. I don't have that many spare calories for breads. I'd rather have a snack three times a day! LOL
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    OK, I can do that. I haven't logged my food for quite some time. At this point, I am making not just guesses on measuring food, but educated guesses. As I said, I spent at least half a year diligently measuring my food, and I know understand what it weighs/measures.

I think what I'm really getting at is how to stick with it. How to stay motivated and not cave in and eat McD's. How to live normally. My husband and I go out every Friday. Tonight it's PF Chang's. I understand that if I eat McD's, I will not lose. I can work on avoiding that, but I also can't spend every day on my diet and not living a regular life with my husband (i.e. eating out).

You can be smart about your choices when you eat out (and still enjoy it!). I try to stick to meat & veggies when we eat out. I avoid pasta, bread & sweets. I do occasionally indulge in french fries (but share them with Hubby). I like to enjoy a nice steak or salmon with veggies and get my sugar/carbs from a fancy drink (rather than the bread, pasta, dessert AND fancy drink)
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to get away from eating some processed carbs and sugars. I try to get most of my carbs from veggies, fruits, and some oats and rice. The pizza dough to me is a no no unless its a cheat meal. I have switched my chocolate cravings to only a few pieces of dark chocolate when I have a craving. Also eating enough calories to match your exercise is important. Like others have said, I go out to eat alot. So I go to the website off the restaurant and log in my calories before I go, that included Mcdonalds! BTW the Southwest salad is very good from McD's! Good food choice at PF Changs is the chicken lettuce wraps. Lower in calorie than most of their other choices.. But with Chinese food you really need to be concerned with that sugar content. Eating too much sugar is in my opinion the biggest way to ruin weight loss efforts. Try to keep eat meal to under 9 grams of sugar or less, unless its your alotted cheat meal. A good plan eat clean for 5 days, then on the weekend eat two cheat meals no more than 1500 calories a piece. Read Jackie Warner's book "This is Why your Fat" very good, attainable goals and ideas.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Question: I made a pizza last night using Pillsbury crust dough. My husband sliced it into smaller pieces, I think 20 total. What do I put in the recipe blank for how many persons my recipe serves?

Depends on what you consider a serving. 1 piece? 3? It's your recipe, do whatever you want with it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    but I also can't spend every day on my diet and not living a regular life with my husband (i.e. eating out).

for some people, myself included, reaching and maintaining a healthy weight means changing my definition of what a "regular" life is. If you want a regular life to mean going out to eat regularly, then you will either have to find really healthy options to eat out, or accept that you may continue to carry some extra weight. Yes, it's frustrating to have friends or family who seem to be able to eat more; my sister has always been thin. I will NEVER be able maintain her version of a "regular" diet and be a healthy weight. It's just not how my body works.
  • TMHoy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the tips and suggestions, I truly appreciate it. I suppose my dinners aren't all that well thought out either. For some reason, I equate a homemade pizza as "healthy" as I compare it to Domino's! So um, yeah. Anyhow, I do think I really need to analyze what I'm doing with food -- and you all have helped me see that. Thanks again.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    I have fluctuated between a goal of 1200-1500. I usually end up closer to 1600 though.

1600 is okay, as long as you are burning about 400 of it off. You need to be carving about 500 cal's per day from your "normal diet" to lose about a pound per week. If you exercise with MFP, you get to eat those calories back. I exercise to eat more!
    Yeah, I'm not sure where the 1200 cals came from but that is crazy low. Eating back my cals - as in eating the -net cals I see on my diary? Like break even?

Yup! At the top of your screen if should adjust for your exercise and allow you to eat more. Some people do well eating all of them back, some have to make adjustments if they are not losing any. I go crazy hungry with workouts and usually have to eat them back...I just try to do it in small, healthy-ish snacks.
    I want to lose 10 lbs!! I thought the pretzels were ok due to the calorie content. At least I counted them, so didn't go crazy on them. How about popcorn?

Pretzels are fine, but do make me put on water weight, tons of it, which can be discouraging. So, I've cut back. I do PopSecret 100 calorie bags to watch my portions and the fat content. Most regular sized bags are 2.5 serving sizes. My kids don't get this concept either. LOL
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm going to PF's tonight, what's this cal count thing you are talking about?

Check out their menu online. you will be SHOCKED at how many calories a lot of their meals are.

Log everything. No excuses. It only takes a few seconds of dedication.