Steamed Vegetables Tasting Blah

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Instead of steaming them, roast them. Put on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on them. Sprinkle salt and pepper and some minced garlic. Roast at 425 for 20-25 minutes or so (watch them to see when they start to turn brown at the ends but not burn). Pull them out, squeeze half a lemon over them and voila.

If you've never done this before, I promise you'll never want to steam vegetables again.

^this...^this ^this ^this. It's an entirely different food. Most veggies are delicious roasted with nothing more than a little oil and salt.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are the best. I started adding chopped beets and it makes it so colorful. Yams, brussel sprouts, onion, peppers and beets tossed in a bit of EVOO with pepper.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I'm looking for ideas of how to make steamed vegetables taste better. Help?

Add butter! (the real thing, not margarine). Saturated fat will help your body absorb the vitamins and minerals in the veggies and butter tastes damned good.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120619FerruzziSalad.html

Yep! Add a bit of fat through real butter or olive/coconut oil.

Make a vinaigrette with olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, salt & pepper, and spices to drizzle over your steamed veg.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Sriracha is the solution to anything that needs help being tasty :-)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the roasting suggestion!

If you still want to steam though, here are my faves:

carrots - they are honestly delicious plain
    green beans - drizzle with red wine vinegar (no added cals)
    brussels sprouts - red wine vinegar again!
    broccoli - squeeze lemon over it, and add fresh ground black pepper. Lemon pepper broc is so good.
    butternut squash - cut the raw squash into cubes, steam, then mash in a bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a little butter.
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add some garlic. Also, don't over-steam. They are better if they aren't soggy. Also, if you stir them about half way through it seems to help.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle my steamed veggies with grated Parmesan/Romano cheese mix. Yeah, the stuff you sprinkle on your spaghetti.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Instead of steaming them, roast them. Put on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on them. Sprinkle salt and pepper and some minced garlic. Roast at 425 for 20-25 minutes or so (watch them to see when they start to turn brown at the ends but not burn). Pull them out, squeeze half a lemon over them and voila.

If you've never done this before, I promise you'll never want to steam vegetables again.

This idea I am absolutely trying!! Sounds wonderful.

Terrific idea for a thread :flowerforyou:
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I steam broccoli and then toss it with a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and some parm cheese. Yumm! Like the idea of roasting, too.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    toss with olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder. done.
  • cmherb76
    cmherb76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Instead of steaming them..try roasting! They are fantastic! If you do a search on Pinterest you can find all kinds of recipes.

This! I roast all sorts of veggies and love them. This week I am roasting cauliflower then tossing with a teaspoon of dijon mustard. Super delicious and a little crunch.

This sounds delicious...I love Dijon Mustard! Do you roast the cauliflower with the dijon mustard on or you toss them after it is done roasting?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious...I love Dijon Mustard! Do you roast the cauliflower with the dijon mustard on or you toss them after it is done roasting?

Just toss after I'm done. I was worried the mustard might burn/get icky with too much heat.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use lots of Penzey's salt-free blends. They have several ethnic and regional seasonings that are really good as well as some all-purpose ones.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Salt_Free.html?id=y8tfq5Jo
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Grilled with a little olive oil sprayed on (I love my Misto), kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Asparagus, broccoli, sliced eggplant, fat slices of onion~ just about anything that you would roast. I use a perforated vegetable "wok" so they don't fall through the grates. Dee lish!
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all great suggestions!!!! I love them!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BUTTER!
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options

Just toss after I'm done. I was worried the mustard might burn/get icky with too much heat.

There is a glaze I use when I roast Salmon Steaks that I am wondering if it would work here ... it is:
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is a glaze I use when I roast Salmon Steaks that I am wondering if it would work here ... it is:
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

That would probably be awesome!
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Saute them with raw garlic and a little Olive Oil......YUM!

If you're not up for garlic, Mrs. Dash has so many different flavors you won't miss the salt.....high sodium is bad.

I've also heard roasting them is delicious! But I'm on a Garlic kick right now, what can I say?! :laugh:
  • superbeacon
    Options
    Curry powder. It makes everything tasty!