transition to eating clean

Options
I would like to start eating clean but I am finding it difficult to make food for me and food for my family that a) they like b) is pretty quick to make and c) still fits in our grocery budget. Does anyone have any tips about making the transition a little easier? and What kinds of foods do you have as eating clean staples in your home?
Id love any and all suggestions
:smile:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would like to start eating clean but I am finding it difficult to make food for me and food for my family that a) they like b) is pretty quick to make and c) still fits in our grocery budget. Does anyone have any tips about making the transition a little easier? and What kinds of foods do you have as eating clean staples in your home?
    Id love any and all suggestions
    :smile:

Grow all your own fruits and veggies, save money and avoid all that evil processing
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Brown Rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat english muffins.

Lots of fruit & veggies.

Favorite easy snacks: Triscuits & cheese; English Muffin Pizzas (muffin, ketchup or left over spaghetti sauce, italian or other seasonings, 1 oz slice of cheese, broil until bubbly)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Get the Clean Eating cookbooks. The recipes are awesome
  • RWBoston
    RWBoston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

My suggestion is to begin with snack foods first. It was easy for me to go through my cabinets and toss all of the processed stuff (chips, cookies, etc). Replace those things with simple foods like whole fruits, vegetables and plain nuts (i.e. raw almonds versus candied peanuts, etc). To save on your grocery bill, buy produce that's on sale or in season. As a rule of thumb, I always keep apples and bananas in my house. As soon as I run out, I purchase more. They're good to have on hand for an easy, clean snack.

For me, anyway, I find that snacking is where I'm most likely to slip up and eat something processed. Having an abundance of produce and nuts around keeps me on track.

As far as staples to always have on hand:
    - Oatmeal
    - Eggs: not very expensive, and a clean powerhouse food, in my opinion. I eat at least one or two hard boiled egg whites each day. Good for breakfast or for a snack
    - Brown rice: Again, not super-expensive, and you can purchase in bulk to have readily available for a side dish
    - Frozen vegetables: I prefer the kind that you can microwave directly in the bag. Easy, clean side dish for dinners/lunches

For easy meals, look to the slow cooker/crock pot! :)
    You can find all sorts of simple, clean recipes for soups online. I make a chicken enchilada soup in my crock pot with a few simple ingredients and it is really tasty.

Soups are frequently on my menu because they're easy to make clean and quickly. Plus, they're a good way to get your vegetable servings in.

Hope this helps!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I find that when my daughter helps me cook things, she is more invested in eating them. We bake oatmeal muffins once a week and I let her pick out and mash up the fruits we put in it, and lay out the cupcake liners, etc. (She's 3.) In general, studies have shown the children really will eat more foods if they are involved in preparing them, because they have an investment in the preparation.

My husband is a big boy who can buy his own chips if he feels that the bananas are too healthy for his craving.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you need family friendly recipes that are generally clean eating and the family will LOVE, you have to check out the www.skinnytaste.com website. I sing Gina's praises and have printed off so many of her yummy dishes, I wouldn't be able to count them all. She cooks using smart foods most people have in their pantry's, but with more vegetables, fruits and spices instead of the pre-packaged stuff you would normally buy at the store.

Her recipes do take a bit more time because of the ingredients, but my entire family would agree with me when I say the extra time is so worth it. Check her out, you won't regret it!
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I second the skinnytaste website - every recipe I've made has been a winner! She doesn't use much fat free/sugar free/overly processed garbage. Also, the portion sizes are huge.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    My fav 2 cookbooks are color me vegan and quick fix vegan. The recipes are easy and most the ingredients are cheap/easily accessible.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. I get recipes from thegraciouspantry.com.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You really don't need fancy recipes to start. Most of our meals are just some kind of meat (grilled chicken, roasted chicken, fish just boiled in the pan, chicken sausage cooked in a pain or grilled) with some plain veggies or a salad with olive oil, mustard and vinegar dressing, and potatoes/couscous/noodles/rice/squash. We buy whole grain bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain crackers etc.... We never buy processed foods except grain stuff and condiments pretty much.

For snacks we have more 'junk' like goldfish and oatmeal cookies but it's also whole grain crackers, cheese, fruit, yogurt.

It's a bit hard to give you ideas on what to improve when you don't know what you eat though.
  • colindae
    colindae Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. some really great suggestions and they all seemed perfectly doable. Im on it!
  • LBurger26
    Options
    I agree, make the transition slow! It will be amazing to how you feel and how you look. Eating clean does wonders! I also found that Shakeology (a meal replacement from Beachbody) did wonders. It's an all nautral shake that is so yummy, but helped me lose weight and stay on track. It helped curb my hunger, so I could eat clean and not pick up a fatty snack. I swear by Shakeology......check it out, the health benefits are amazing! MEssage me if you're interested, I could get great deals sine I'm a beachbody coach.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning to eating clean foods too. I've made best friends with my local bulk barn, and it's been both a godsend and a money saver. I've been able to get all kinds of flavourful spices to add to cooking, to replace things like sauces and other additives. A little pinch of this or that can go a long way! (And spices bought in bulk are CHEAP!!)

Stick to the outside of your grocery store. Veg, fruit, dairy (if applicable), meat (if applicable), grains. Stay away from anything processed, anything with a lot of ingredients, or anything with ingredients you struggle to pronounce (international foods excepted, of course!). This will help keep you away from the pre-packaged stuff that is loaded with salt, sugar, and other bad things.

Healthy snacks aren't too hard - again, stay away from pre-packaged. Nuts, veg, whole grains - it doesn't have to be boring just because it's clean!

One of the best places (IMO) to get creative is with salad. Salad isn't just for bunnies - use it as an opportunity to clean out your fridge and cupboard. I have a salad for lunch pretty much every day, and usually it has spinach/other greens, carrots, celery, kidney beans/6 bean mix, tuna, hardboiled egg, apple, almonds/walnuts/pistachios, cold rice ... the list goes on and on. There's almost nothing I won't put in a salad.

Feel free to friend/PM if you want to chat more! Good luck :) Clean eating is definitely a big challenge but it feels so much better.