Is it just me? Ab "fluff"

Options
I have noticed that every time I work on my core and do ab exercises that my mid section puffs up. It'll stay this way for about 2-3 days and after that the puffiness will go away. It almost feels like I am bloated and retaining water. Does anyone else get this?

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Mine doesn't last 2-3 days but if I work on my abs in the morning, my stomach will stay bigger for the rest of the day. Doing a quick google search this is what I found.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/439062-why-is-my-belly-getting-bigger-with-exercise/?utm_source=livestrong_opar&utm_medium=1
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    yeah mine does as well my reasonings were one of two things:

1) Any muscle group I work tends to get a pump - even accessory ones (lower back, calves, forearms during grip training whatever) which usually lasts for a couple hours just from the increased blood flow

2) I usually keep my core pretty tight throughout the day cause if i relax my belly sticks out - so i dunno if after i do abs the muscles are just a bit relaxed so they stick out more.

both of these reasonings are entirely broscience - nothing 'medical' behind either idea.
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good article. Thanks.
  • alabamamommy
    Options
    My legs def feel and look bigger after a workout. It's kinda annoying. Haven't noticed much with my abs.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    mine get smaller and tighter. Are you sure you're holding your abs in and tight as you work them?