Chia Seeds

Options

Replies

• kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So where do you get them? You don't have to buy a Chia pet to get them, right?
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I use them in my smoothies - haven't added them to other things yet but I will! They get ground up in the smoothie so I don't have them stuck in my teeth. I've only been eating them for a week now so I don't know if I am seeing any benefits but they're supposed to be really good for you. I don't like them soaked in water because the weird gel texture stuff freaks me out. I get mine at the grocery store in the natural foods section.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I agree. I tried chia seeds for one month and everyday someone would point out there was something in my teeth. They swell between your teeth and are impossible to rinse away completely. Also, didn't make me full and did not help with weight loss. The only thing I lost was the money I spent on them.

If you drink them through a staw you can avoid this, for the most part.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So where do you get them? You don't have to buy a Chia pet to get them, right?

The grocery store. I get mine in the "healthy" food section. I think they're Dole brand and they come in a jar.

I have them in smoothies and overnight oatmeal.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Definitely use a straw- I've NEVER found a chia seed stuck in my teeth!
    I love chia, but I wouldn't drink them in water. Weird. Had a juice with chia seeds in it and I hated the texture.
    I typically sprinkle them on an english muffin with almond butter, or put them in a smoothie, or stir them into yogurt with added water to double the serving! Makes me feel fuller, and the health benefits are amazing. I worry about fish oil (supplement purity; mercury...) but chia seeds are a completely vegan, amazing source of omega-3s and much more. They're the dream food.
    I also love chia pudding made with Almond Breeze almond-coconut milk & a few chopped dried cherries! Just stir it up & soak overnight. so simple! I ordered mine on Amazon (Spectrum brand). The bag has lasted a really long time- you don't use much at once! Optimal supplement serving size is 2 tbsp, but because of calories I just use 1/2 tbsp usually.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Whole foods sells "chia shots", which are individual 1 tbsp servings. I literally dump the little packet in my mouth and chase it with some water. I like to use them when I'm feeling munchy but it's not time for my next meal.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I live in BC and I've seen them at Costco, Save On Foods, and Whole Foods. At Save On I've seen them in the bulk section.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I hear about these a lot so I am going to pick some up on my next grocery day.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I put 1/2 tbsp in my eggs each morning. I also make a pudding that I eat at times after a workout. 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk, diced strawberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds, I let it sit in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. I also put a 1/2 tbsp in my yogurt as well.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    I make chia pudding all the time for breakfast (these recipes are amazing)

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/02/18/chia-seed-breakfast-bowl/
    http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/11/healthy-chocolate-chia-pudding/
    http://ohsheglows.com/2009/08/18/repair-and-recover-vegan-chia-pudding/
    http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/14/pumpkin-pie-chia-pudding-parfait/

I find that if I eat the chia seeds pudding style they aren't at all annoying. They are VERY annoying in drinks. These seeds really are awesome though.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    i made chia pudding this week as part of a gluten free experiment I am doing. I think the texture is fun, but they are only as good as what they are surrounded by. I did my pudding with vanilla almond milk, vanilla extract, and vanilla salt. I also did a few additional add-ons that were tasty: blackberried/agave and greek yogurt, chocolate coconut milk, shredded coconut. I did a few variations this week. For me, the salt was the missing link.

As for making you feel full? If you eat them super slow, the probably will. They do absorb lots of water, so you don't want to have too much at once. It can dehydrate you.

I'l probably incorporate the pudding as a dessert or breakfast a few times a week. Super easy to make, and an easy way to get extra vitamins. Not sure about the smoothies though..
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat them every day! I put them in my oatmeal or my smoothies, but I could never just drink water with chia. They don't taste like anything, and they're easy to take in smoothies - the texture is just like strawberry seeds. They really do make me feel fuller for longer, and I like knowing that I'm getting in a good source of omegas.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds in my water. I like it when they swell up. I wouldn't eat them dry cause then it's like eating poppy seeds and yes, they would get stuck in your teeth. My boss drinks them in her orange juice. I use about 2 tbls since that's all you need for the omegas. I don't know if they give you more energy or fill you up because I haven't experienced that. I did log them here and found out that they have a lot of carbs to them if not much calories. Like flax, they are a good fiber source. I found them at the natural foods store in bulk so if you could find them in bulk you could buy a small amount and see if you like them.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of chia based cereals popping up on the market lately. They are really tasty with milk. I eat some at least once a day!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my chia seeds . I make a chia pudding
    3 cups of homemade almond or coconut milk
    1/2 cup Chia seeds
    1 tsp powdered Vanilla or vanilla bean
    1 tsp sea-salt
    mix together and let sit for a few hours some days i will had fresh berries to this or raw chocolate chunks

they are very good for you i eat them even day in every thing like yogurt shakes oatmeal cottage cheese
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    my BFF puts them in her water at work, she says they make her feel full so she eats less. She says they don't taste like anything really, but honestly they look nasty, like little gelatenous eggs floating in snot, I'm not sure how she can drink it..... ewwwww :noway:

LOL very funny. I work with seniors and what I like about them is that they become gelatinous I can thicken water, juice' soup to feed to my clients that have a hard time swallowing. It's way better then the cornstarch crap they use to thicken liquids with and way more nutritious.

I'm really impressed you do that instead of the cornstarch crap. My late MIL used to have trouble swallowing for her last year or so. And they used the cornstarch. KUDOS TO YOU :flowerforyou:
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oat bran cereal every morning. They thicken it a bit more. I don't know if they are a miracle supplement but they haven't caused me any harm.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my chia seeds . I make a chia pudding
    3 cups of homemade almond or coconut milk
    1/2 cup Chia seeds
    1 tsp powdered Vanilla or vanilla bean
    1 tsp sea-salt
    mix together and let sit for a few hours some days i will had fresh berries to this or raw chocolate chunks

they are very good for you i eat them even day in every thing like yogurt shakes oatmeal cottage cheese

Thank you everyone that suggested chia pudding. I'm going to try this!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    The benefits have already been listed. I put them in plain fat free greek yogurt with fresh or frozen raspberries, add them to my protein drink or put them on cottage cheese. :heart: Chia seeds!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop in soups, dips, anything with any liquid to it. Everyone is right, they have no taste! Just looks like you put a LOT of big pepper in everything! lol They definitely keep me fuller longer!!