Do you use a list when you grocery shop?

Options

Replies

• Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Every week, I write out the shopping list.

Every week, i hand it to my other half.

Every week, my other half leaves it at home.

She hates taking me shopping. I stick to the list. I spend ages reading Nutrition labels and doing the math per 100g on products to see if another one is better value based on nutrition.

Geez i need help :/
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No. I got from free sample stand to free sample stand and am pretty much full by the time I leave. I alway pick up a case of beer though.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I make a super awesome aisle coordinated list and then once I get to the store I notice that I forget the list and end up buying nothing that was on it. So now I just wing it!
  • texasgrower
    Options
    Never go to the grocery store hungry. That is what the grocery store wants you to do. You will buy stuff that is not on your list - spontaneous shopping. Also shoots a big hole in your budget. The grocery store flyers come to my house on Wednesday. I make my list and pull the coupons. I only buy what is on my list.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I'm so anal I put my items in order of the isle the food is in.:ohwell:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    No. I got from free sample stand to free sample stand and am pretty much full by the time I leave. I alway pick up a case of beer though.

Marry me....

oh wait...i'm not the marrying kind....

ok ok...buy me beer and get me drunk
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I do but may pick up a few things that aren't on it (especially if there's a good sale).
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Marry me....

oh wait...i'm not the marrying kind....

ok ok...buy me beer and get me drunk

*hands you booze*

I'll look after you babe, don't you worry about a thing . . .
  • McKay85
    McKay85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! This helps me stay in budget AND helps me buy food that I need to be healthier and not just stuff to munch on and gain weight. It helps to have a meal plan first then create your list. Try to know what you want to eat for each meal each day.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    There's a great app called OurGroceries that will do a lot of the work you guys are talking about doing manually... and you can share it with others, so you can add something to the grocery list and your husband will have it in his phone before he even gets to the store.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I'm so anal I put my items in order of the isle the food is in.:ohwell:

duh? Why wouldn't you?

I also shop where you sort of have the option to bag your own. I sort them as I'm bagging based on where they get put away.
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    If I don't make a list, I'm bound to forget at least one item I wanted to get. Plus, the two stores I do a lot of my grocery shopping at, Safeway and Fresh & Easy have coupons for things I buy frequently. I have to remind myself I have them and to use them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • patbeharry
    Options
    Always!
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Everyone writes on the whiteboard on our fridge when something is needed, and on either Friday or Saturday, I put it all on the list and pick it up. If something isn't on the list, it doesn't go in the basket.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, plus I'm a couponer,....so yeah, it's all about lists and organization :)

Awesome...I also use coupons when and as much as I can and always try to stick to my list...that I try to remember...most recently been putting in on phone, cause I never leave that at home.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Do you use a list when you grocery shop?

Yes and no. Most of the items I need stocked in my pantry/freezer - bulk ordered and delivered to my home. When I physically go shopping(almost every other day, because I like some ingredients fresh), I take a list and am prone to impulse purchases.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yep sure do, I meal plan then write a list ans stick to it! Saves money and time.
  • e_trexler
    e_trexler Posts: 32
    Options
    I make a list before going to the store.
    Then I go to the store after work when I'm hungry.
    Then I add things to the list as I'm in the store so I TECHNICALLY can say "I stuck to the list."
    :blushing:

I do the same thing! "See, it was ON the list."