Weight Loss doc walking the talk

Options
Hello,

My name is Dr. Garth Davis. I run a very busy medical and surgical weight loss program in Houston, Texas. I research nutrition and exercise extensively. I have an active Facebook at Dr. Garth Davis where I discuss issues around weight loss.

I have decided to record everything I eat and exercise including steps so my patients and followers can see what I do daily.

Of note, I am vegetarian for health reasons but look at my menus and see how easy it is. Also I am a triathlete and in the beginning of race season so my exercise is really excessive. This varies during the year.

That being said I hope I can show what a healthy lifestyle looks like!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Maybe this will help give you a deeper understanding of some of the challenges that we face too.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It is against forum rules to sell anything here. So are you? Sorry not being rude just asking. If not add me so I can watch you please.
  • mezzolori
    mezzolori Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it's important for doctors to also "walk the talk." Glad you're doing it.
  • karalee79
    Options
    Maybe you can make some suggestions. I have Hypothyroidism but keep my TSH regulated with Synthroid. I would like to become vegetarian for health reasons as well but I'm having a tough time sticking to it. I work as an LPN in a busy OB office so while I'm at work I have no problem sticking to my salad for lunch and fruit for breakfast. I drink two to three 44 oz drinks of Crystal Light M, T, Th, Fri and the occasional unsweet tea with sweetner. Is the sweetner making me hungrier? I am starving come supper time and usually end up splurging. I try to exercise 2-3 times weekly, but will admit to not doing this on a regular basis. Of course, I am full of excuses....using my four children and husband as my number one excuse. I have lost 10# since mid December but I am stuck!
  • drgarthdavis
    Options
    Not selling anything at all. Just trying to help.
  • drgarthdavis
    Options
    Sweetners definitely contribute to hunger. You also have to eat more volume. Problem most people have with vegetarian diet is not eating enough or enough variety. Everyday I make sure I get beans, apple, berries, starch, greens, grains
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed that you are taking time to do something like this! Looking forward to following you!
  • cdgsdca
    Options
    That's my problem! I don't eat enough food. I am adding more fruit to my diet. Thanks for the reminder!
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed. It's not often we have a professional come among us. I wish you the best on your journey. I really dislike that word journey but it's widely used around here. I prefer to say I'm on a well traveled road taking an extraordinary adventure and I love it :)

MFP is a fantastic site. It offers a variety of things to help a person improve their life, health, and food choices. The exercises are overstated on the calorie burns but everyone is pretty much used to that. I too look forward to following your progress. Congrats and best of luck!
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for years and like to think I've been doing it the healthy way, but I'm interested to see your food diary and figure out some improvements I could make. Thank you for making this available to us!
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Interesting that your diary shows you Netted about 1030 calories yesterday by not eating you exercise calories back something many of us get told is going to put us into the starvation mode (the famous MFP myth). Also below the minimum 1200 recommended by MFP in your opinion when exercising and generating that amount of exercise calories back should we eat them all or not, I personally do not and tend to nett about 1000 calories daily?
  • marise29
    Options
    Bump!
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cindyb1984