Can someone tell me if this is shin splints or not?

Options
I'm on the verge of crying I swear.
For the past two months I've suffered with pain along my inner lower leg (tibia) and the bone itself hurts when I touch it and it decides to hurt when it likes. I know that its been caused by myself running on the treadmill so I stopped about a month and a half ago because I just couldn't run anymore due to the pain. Now within the last two weeks, my inner knee bone(s) have started to become painful and I don't know whether this is all realted to the pain on my lower leg.

Its quite a sharp pain and also a dull ache and hurts when I rest sometimes also!
I've stopped going to the gym altogether but because I have a physically active job as a sales assistant, I'm always on my feet, lifting boxes, rushing after everyone so I'm unable to fully rest it.

Can someone please tell me what this might be? It's depressing me to the point where I feel like giving up this whole healthy eating thing because I'm unable to exercise. I've been wearing 2 supports on my knees and my ankles, my legs look mummified lol!

Is it shin splints and what do you think the inner knee pain is?

Thanks in advance!
Caziee x

Replies

• bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would recommend is go to a true running store and get fitted for shoes that suit your running style. The next thing I would recommend is shin compression wraps. I started running about 6 weeks ago and I used to come in and ice my shins. Now I run with compression wraps and feel fine.

Good Luck!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor by any means, but your knee pain could be a result of the leg pain....you are no doubt walking differently when your leg hurts. The best advice you are going to get for this is........SEE A DOCTOR!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you stopped running a month and a half ago it's not likely shin splints since they are just sore muscles. I'd suggest a doctor at this point.
  • NZRose7
    NZRose7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always found that if I ran in the afternoon/evening, my shins would get mega sore but if i ran in the early morning with a decent warm up, I wouldn't get sore shins. This may or may not be helpful to you but in your situation, i'd go see a doctor! And don't give up! Keep up with the healthy eating as at the end of the day, you will feel better mentally and may even continue to loose weight also. All the best :smile:
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Get good running shoes, the ones from the running stores where they fit you for shoes and see a doctor. You should not be in severe pain. Have you tried Ibuprofin to help with inflammation?
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, go see a doctor. I had the same exact pain and thought I had developed shin splints. After having x-rays and seeing a Osteopathologist (?) I found out that I have avascular necrosis. Your pain sounds very familiar to how mine was. Good luck
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You need to go to the doctor, it sounds like. The treatment for shin splints is rest. If after a while it hasn't let up and it is migrating, then that isn't shine splints. I would go to your doctor and get seen. Tell them everything. From how long you were running on the treadmills for, speed, incline, etc.. Bring your shoes with you that you would run in as well. Explain IN DETAIL where the pain is. If there are any bumps or bruising take pictures of it to show the doctor. Explain when the pain started moving up the leg. Tell them what treatments you have done (taking medication, ice/heat treatments, massaging, etc...). Tell them when and if it gets worse, and when it eases. Is it better with rest? Does it feel the same with rest or not? Does it hurt if you push in a certain area? Everything you can think of that has anything to do with it write it down and tell the doctor when you see them.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I didnt go to a doctor and I assumed my pain was shin splints too. My shins were tender to touch, almost felt badly bruised, ached from my knee to my ankles. In the 1st two weeks of exercising I almost felt like someone needed to carry me out of the gym. It felt like a dull deep down to the bone ache at it worst...also woke me up at night & ached when I was off of my legs. (I have a job where I stand all day too)...I didnt want to stop exercising to rest my shins because I felt that I needed to "break them in". If I had rested then when you start again it would only make sense to me that it would come back as being "the breaking in stages" all over again. I did take Advil and/or Aleve around the clock & before I hit the gym. I kept the attitude "No pain, No gain"..People say you can cause hairline fractures to your shins if you dont rest but I didnt rest. It 's 11wks now and its much better but at times I know its still there. Not much of a bother now. Lots of people to say new shoes help. I have bought 3 new pair...maybe thats why Im better now.

Good luck to you and I know exactly how you feel!