alcohol?

Options
How often does everybody allow their self to drink? I like to drink. I know that contributed to my weight gain. Now I'm doing good losing weight. I know if I drink I'm going to go ove my calories. So how often does everybody allow themselves to drink? once a week? once a month?

Replies

• jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi....alcohol is wasting calories - but it is soooo worth it! Haha!

I try to have at least three days a week alcohol free and only have at the most a couple of glasses of wine when I do drink.......it's about moderation not giving up...after all - this is a way of life we have to maintain so it has to be reasonable, doable and enjoyable too
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Holidays only for me n then it's 1/2 a glass of wine at most. I really don't miss drinking alcohol :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i allow myself to drink daily. i don't always follow through though.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Very often! Especially the last few weeks since I'm pretty stressed about our upcoming move from one end of the country to the other! lol

Seriously though....the decision to lose weight and change my eating habits this time was a lifestyle change and not some "diet" that I was going to put myself on. Part of my lifestyle is drinking....drinking wine, drinking micro-brews, drinking martinis. Nothing regarding alcohol or food is "off limits", BUT it has to fit in with the calories that I am "allowed" to have each day. I will plan the day so that I have enough calories to enjoy my beverage of choice (although I have not been doing so well at that lately).

If you want to enjoy a drink or chocolate or pizza or whatever....enjoy it, but make sure it falls within the calories you have. Plus I workout very hard at the gym lifting so that I am able to enjoy splurging when I go out for appetizers & beer or for when I want to indulge in a Papa Murphy's pizza.

Making this all a lifestyle change that you can live with is key in my opinion to getting the weight off and keeping it off.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I let myself drink a lot once every couple months. I have a beer here and there couple weeks. Used to be a big drinker.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    alcohol is wasting calories

I DO NOT agree with this. Alcohol is absolutely necessary in my book. I plan my drinking calories before my food usually, and I have to say that since I have lost weight, I've become a cheap drunk. I can't drink like I used to, so now I do quality vs. quantity. Normally I plan one drink a day, but I don't always drink it, sometimes those planned calories get converted into chocolate.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I own a bar....so, I only allow my self to drink, fri, and one other day, so 2 days aweek, if I wasnt hard on myself, I would drink daily, I dont think it inhibits weight loss, just delays it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have an adult beverage 3-7 times a week. I like a glass of red wine at night after dinner. Also, whiskey, tequila, single malt scotch, plain rum (Malibu or other flavored versions of spirits are higher in calories) and bourbon are lower in calories than wine, beer, or liqueur and have the same amount of alcohol per serving.

Tequila shots with salt and lemon are probably your best bet for low calorie alcohol consumption. :drinker:
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 times a week, and I try to do an extra workout to "earn" the calories before I do. I probably could lose weight more quickly if I quit altogether, but I enjoy it and I think the key is finding a plan you can live with.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    2 pints of beer at least once a week, I just work it into my calories for the day
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I DO NOT agree with this. Alcohol is absolutely necessary in my book. I plan my drinking calories before my food usually, and I have to say that since I have lost weight, I've become a cheap drunk. I can't drink like I used to, so now I do quality vs. quantity. Normally I plan one drink a day, but I don't always drink it, sometimes those planned calories get converted into chocolate.

Agree with you here, my motto if I want alcohol i will have it, I just include the calories in my food diary, I've got wiser with my choices on what to drink, and I too appear to have become a cheaper drunk the more weight I lose - lol.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

yep. pretty much.

drink up! cheers! :drinker:
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Read the rest of my post ....lol
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm not a drinker, really - I drink maybe once or twice a YEAR - but I equate going drinking to letting myself eat a bunch of bad foods. I give myself treats daily as long as it's in my calorie limit, so perhaps you can find space for a glass of wine or whatever. But as far as just letting go? I only let myself do that during a special social event - not a bar, or a club, but a rare, large gathering like on holidays. no more than once every few months. :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My only question is will you be able to stop when you add it again? Food for thought.:drinker:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have an adult beverage 3-7 times a week. I like a glass of red wine at night after dinner. Also, whiskey, tequila, single malt scotch, plain rum (Malibu or other flavored versions of spirits are higher in calories) and bourbon are lower in calories than wine, beer, or liqueur and have the same amount of alcohol per serving.

Tequila shots with salt and lemon are probably your best bet for low calorie alcohol consumption. :drinker:
    I like you. Good tequila is good.
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Any time I drink I go way over. As you can see from my diary yesterday. I wasn't a big drinker but now I usually don't just hang out athome a drink beer I save it for times I'm going out and having fun then I don't consider it a waste.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    No problems with it here! In moderation of course.

Pre-planning and not going on a binge is also important.

I used to be a heavy daily drinker and I know it contributed to my weight gain. I have since learned that I don't have to cut it out entirely to lose weight, just have to learn to do it in moderation and be smart about it. Make good choices and the like.

I drink one night a week now and stay within my calorie limits. I am losing just fine. I used to have 2 nights of drinking and was still losing just fine.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I seldom drink these days. being healthy became more important. I was out recently and had a few pints and I can enjoy a glass of wine with a meal. But like many have said its in moderation. As I'm sure you know, when you drink your body stops what its doing and puts all its effort in to converting alcohol cals in to energy. his then means any food you have ate may not longer be needed for energy so its stored.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love craft beer. Barleywines, IPAs, Stouts, Sours, etc. The 220+ calorie club of tasty beer. I rarely have more than 1 at home though, usually 3-4 times a week (summer time grill season excluded!). Since I started getting serious about diet and exercise, I realized that giving up beer completely is not something I'm interested in. I count the calories and make sure I "earn" my drink. I keep my beer out of the fridge in the cellar. Before my night time workout, I'll select a beer and put it in the fridge. After my workout and shower, I can unwind and have a beer and relax....guilt free. If I keep a bunch of beer in the fridge I think I'd have troubles with self control!