Maintainers: I need your input, very depressed

Options
2»

Replies

• stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes but that is because when dieting you also lose a portion of your lean mass/muscle. You can erase the difference by building back muscle.
  • I have been overweight most of my adult life and if I were to eat at TDEE (I am tall and very active), I would eat in excess of 2,800 calories a day.

That is plenty of calories, and more than most women I know eat.

Do you eat at this value, though?

More at present.

I am trying for extra muscle (I lift) so am currently eating at TDEE + 5%, so eating 3,000 calories a day (even on my rest day). I will put on weight doing this, so at some point, I will be back eating at a deficit.

No problems eating this amount, although I am worried that I am eating too many unhealthy snacks (ie chocolate) so will have to change that.

I've looked at your diary, and it looks to me that when you work out, your calories burned is up at >4,000 kcal. That's quite a lot, so aren't you still eating at a deficit? I'm confused.

I wish I could lift. It seems that lifting is the only way to get back your metabolism, but I'm not medically cleared to lift due to a heart condition.
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is true. I went from 181 to 140, I was thinking of trying to get down to 130. However, I am coming to accept that I can't eat the way I want if I want to be 130. I admit I still love my junk food and try to balance a little in each day. However, the alternative is I could work out more and burn more calories daily to make up for if I choose to eat more. Its other work out and burn a ton of calories daily or work out moderately but don't get to eat as much as I like.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Is this true?

Sadly yes, as this excellent article explains:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=415

The key it appears is to keep activity levels high.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight most of my adult life and if I were to eat at TDEE (I am tall and very active), I would eat in excess of 2,800 calories a day.

More at present.

I am trying for extra muscle (I lift) so am currently eating at TDEE + 5%, so eating 3,000 calories a day (even on my rest day). I will put on weight doing this, so at some point, I will be back eating at a deficit.

No problems eating this amount, although I am worried that I am eating too many unhealthy snacks (ie chocolate) so will have to change that.

I've looked at your diary, and it looks to me that when you work out, your calories burned is up at >4,000 kcal. That's quite a lot, so aren't you still eating at a deficit? I'm confused.

I wish I could lift. It seems that lifting is the only way to get back your metabolism, but I'm not medically cleared to lift due to a heart condition.

I have set my daily calorie intake at 3000 and now log my exercise as 1 calorie as the TDEE calculation includes exercise already. I only changed my settings yesterday, so thats why it looked like I had a big deficit.

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Can you swim? that is a great low impact exercise which your doctor maybe OK with you doing.
  • I have been overweight most of my adult life and if I were to eat at TDEE (I am tall and very active), I would eat in excess of 2,800 calories a day.

More at present.

I have set my daily calorie intake at 3000 and now log my exercise as 1 calorie as the TDEE calculation includes exercise already. I only changed my settings yesterday, so thats why it looked like I had a big deficit.

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Can you swim? that is a great low impact exercise which your doctor maybe OK with you doing.

Oh okay, that makes complete sense now!

Yeah, I can swim. It's about the only exercise I like, actually, so I've started doing that.

I actually think I should be okay doing low weights with higher reps, but I need to check with my doctor first, so maybe I could build some muscle that way.