Question about moving forward in C25K

Options
Hello, I started the C25K program maybe a month ago, and because I'm super out of shape, I'm still only on week 2. I've been fairly consistent, but there was a week in there where I didn't run at all because of my shins (I was afraid it was a stress fracture but I found out yesterday that it's probably only a shin splint). Anyway, what I've noticed is that mentally, and physically somewhat as well, the hardest part for me is starting an interval and thinking "oh crap, I have 7 more of these (week 1) or 5 more of these (week 2). Once I get going, I can normally push myself to keep running, although it is still very difficult. I had the idea that instead of doing week 2 a second and third time, that maybe I could move to week three and stay there for 3 weeks instead, and just gradually build up from doing half of it (one 90 second running interval, and one 3 minute running interval), to doing the full four intervals and just use that as a starting point, since mentally telling myself "4 intervals" is a lot less stressful than 8 or 6. Is this a bad idea or am I at a higher risk for injury if I do this, or does this seem like a good plan. I'd really appreciate any help!

Replies

• donnalisa40
    Options
    Hi, I'm just starting week 4 on the same plan and finding that I'm really enjoying it, much to my surprise!

I had to repeat week 3 because I just couldn't last the second 3 minutes and needed to be sure I was doing that confidently before attempting week 4, so it will take me longer than 8 weeks, but I'm in this for the end result, even if it takes a bit longer than I hoped!

I'm certainly no expert on the system, but I think sticking with it for the full 30 minutes is important. Every work out is approx 30 minutes, so cutting it to 15 probably wouldn't really give you the same benefits, unless you fill in with walking. Are you finding that the 60 seconds running in week 1 or 90 seconds in week 2 is too long, or not long enough? I find it difficult if I'm watching the screen all the time, and rely on the voice prompts instead. Losing myself in music, just switching speed when she prompts works for me. I'm training on a treadmill in my basement most of the time and I can either just listen to the music or think about the things I don't get time to think about in the day when everyone is around me.

What I'm trying to say is that the program has a very good reputation and has given a lot of success to a lot of people, so it must work. For me, focussing on something other than the intervals really helps, and yes, week 1 does seem a lot to go through when there are 8, but you aren't doing it for long, and then it changes. I'd stick with it as is if you can.

Donna
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You really should keep moving forward instead of staying on one week for a long time. Your body just gets used to what you're doing instead of making progress. You have to push to get better and it doesn't get easier. I think all of us are programmed to look for the easiest alternative so you really have to get your mind around pushing beyond what your body says is enough.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just started it this week, I try not to think about how many intervals I have, just start the app and my music and go. I :heart: my playlist so I focus on my tunes and just run/walk when prompted. I view it as 30 mins. period. I do Zumba and other classes for an hour each so C25k is shorter:-)