Wheelchair to 1/2 marathon PLUS 1 year of weight lifting

Options

Replies

• nikke25
    nikke25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    to say you rock is an understatement. I am going to think about you every time I dont feel like working out or get lazy. Thanks for posting
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely amazing. What an incredible, motivational, and uplifting story!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You are such an insperating!!! Amazing!! Thank you for sharing with us!!!
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Your story is awesome. Thanks for sharing!
  • roran88
    roran88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As I sit here with one foot in a cast and the other in a brace, I can say that I can relate! You are an inspiration to me that I can and will meet my goals and overcome obstacles. Thanks for posting!
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love stories like this. It shows me how truly lazy and full of excuses I can be. I need to remind myself that you could barely walk, but you did it anyway. I can walk just fine, so I have no excuses. Thank you for sending such a powerful message. BTW, you look amazing!
  • DoctorsaubeR
    Options
    You totally rule.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Incredible story, many congrats to you Joy!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So impressive! I've been trying to teach myself to run, and I need reminders that I can do it (gee, thanks coworker who told me "we're too old"), so thank you for the inspiration!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Such a great story! Wonderful to overcome all those obstacles. :)
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    :drinker: It is so inspiring to read your story. Thank you so much for sharing as a reminder that it can be done.
  • zkjmum
    zkjmum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just...wow! Well done!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    A word I don't use lightly: AMAZING. Your dedication is so inspiring! Congratulations on your results! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Your story is amazing! What an inspiration and a push for me! I have been struggling with MS and a major injury this past Sept. I am hoping to be running by the end of the year and am signed up for a mini triathlon Sept 1st of this year. Thank you for sharing.
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You are incredible! What a great and inspiring story. Keep up the good work.
  • pcournede
    pcournede Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Inspirational and motivating!
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    amazing and inspirational :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    So these past 21 months have been crazy. I've posted here before that I had a spinal cord injury in June 2011 (http://www.joyzyblog.com/my-story/) and was in a wheelchair, and then decided to get healthy to prevent reinjury. Over the next 11 months I lost 100 pounds. Now I run a LOT (30-40 miles a week depending on what I'm training for) and lift weights about 2x/week.

I'm posting today to let you know that you CAN do this. Really you can. I couldn't WALK at first and I still made it happen.

I started like this: 270lbs and couldn't walk. (5'8.5" 32 years old, three kids ages 2, 4, 6.)
    Before:
    IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5171.jpg

I started walking slowly and then running and then 6 months later this is what I looked like at 195lbs the day I started weight lifting.
    20120204ARMS.jpg

After a year of weight lifting, I look like this:
    20130126_zpsc487905b.jpg
    9385b421-1cdb-416d-b9ad-cf8ef5205df4_zps6b9f3902.jpg

Now I'm training for a half marathon. This week my local YMCA had me come in for a photo shoot to put my crazy story and picture in their annual report for the "healthy living" section of the Y's mission. The YMCA has been an invaluable resource for my health and fitness over the past year and a half.
    Here's what I wore for the photos:
    20130311_01_zps9b66170b.jpg
    20130311_02_zpsb4422071.jpg

So I started in August 2011 at 270 pounds, and used MFP to track every single thing I ate and drank for 11 months until I lost 100 pounds. I also exercised 6-7 days/week. I hit 168lbs in July 2012. I've maintained 161-166lbs for the past 8 months, just with running and making sensible eating choices.

During 2012 I ran over 1000 miles. My first half marathon race is in 6.5 weeks and I'm PUMPED! Part of my injury remains. I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the entire bottom of my right foot. I've learned to compensate for that and now I barely even notice it anymore.

Now I get to wear fun dresses like this
    20130308_01_zps0de3cd98.jpg

And run in races like this
    photo-118-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. Now get out there and mooooooooooove!!!!!

:-)
    Joy
  • jlmed
    jlmed Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • araes2102
    araes2102 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing person and an inspiration. TY!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!